Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing a 500 Cadillac in a '49 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Has anyone here installed a 500 Caddy (or close to it in cubic inch) in a '49 Ford coupe ??
    Not interested in going with a different frame..
    This will be a low budget build..
    Thanks in advance..

dana barlow likes this.
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The 302 barely fits into the one I know so I can only say one thing....

VIVA LA SAWZALL!!!!! [​IMG]

belair likes this.
  3. 42merc

42merc

As a youngster I remember 331 Hemi's in them, so why not.

Hnstray and dana barlow like this.
  4. I started to go 500 in my 51 Avitar. Yes that's a non Ford front clip but it actually worked better for the Oil Pan than the stock stuff. The issue I ran into was that with the Right side valve cover tight against the firewall even without the fan on the pump the pump shaft was heavy into the Rad space. I refused to cut out the Firewall and couldn't move the Rad far enough forward to make things work. That was an Ace running motor but wasn't going in my Ford. I wouldn't go as far to say it can't be done but it can't be done without some major cutting. If you can actually get one in then your probably qualified to hand build some headers for it. I didn't feel it was worth all that is involved to get it done, not that I couldn't do it. In other words, the motor is just to long for the stock space.
    51 Project 024.jpg

dana barlow, Hdonlybob and mgtstumpy like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks for the quick replies...forget that idea...
    Guess I will look for a Flathead...as this one is stuck..

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Now you know why Chevys get swapped in to so many cars.They fit.

scotty t likes this.
  8. Neat chart @mgtstumpy, thanks for posting. Looks like the 500 and the early Hemi’s were about the same size wise and the 500 weighed 100lbs. less. Interesting

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  9. I put one in a friend's 50 years ago. He was broke as fuck. I kicked the firewall back 8" using a wheelbarrow, got rid of the inner fenders, made up a set fender wall headers. That was pretty much it. He slipped in some 9" and left everything else alone.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. 1pickup

1pickup

@Hdonlybob I see you have probably made up your mind already, but just wanted to say I have a '47 Buick w/ a 500 Cad & that is tight. Originally a straight 8 car gives you the length needed, but side to side it's close. SBC fits great in those. I know of a 49-53 flathead just north of Madison that might be for sale.

Hdonlybob likes this.
  11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

PM SENT... :)

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't give up on the Cadillac! People have been dealing with moving radiators slightly and using different pulleys since the beginning of time. If you go with the flathead you will spend a lot of money just trying to get nostalgic stuff to dress it up, and its most likely going to need a complete overhaul........then you have no real power on the road.
    With a Cad, you may have to do a little measuring but I doubt it will require cutting the firewall. You can often get by with minimal repairs because most of them are low mileage that have been sitting. Might even find one that is running well. Going price for a complete 500 with a turbo 400 is about $500. That leaves a lot of cash for installation. Then you have a great smooth cruiser that will keep up on the xway and have some pep around town.

73RR likes this.
  13. earlymopar

earlymopar

My friend's brother had a 421 Pontiac in one in the mid-60's but it had at least a 10% engine set back.

14. 73RR

73RR

With so many swap projects, a lot depends on the abilities of the 'swapper' to get the job done in a satisfactory manner....ya know, drivable and safe.
    If you are in a rush, don't have the space to park the car for an extended period of time (nope, not a weekend deal), don't have the multitude of tool/equipment or simply don't have the skills ("a mans got to know his limitations") then throwing money at rebuilding a flathead might make sense....except that rebuilding a flathead is big money these days.
    If you proceed with the Cad be sure to start a build thread. Many of us would like to tag along.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 500 in my 71 GMC and it is a tight fit in it. They are great engines but seriously wide and long.

A few years ago I put a 500 in an 82 Coupe Deville that I had bought minus engine and trans and put a 79 425 in. That worked good until my wife and daughter drove it down the freeway in 2nd gear at 75 mph and blew the engine. The 500 was too wide across the exhaust to clear the Right A frame and I had to run the 425 exhaust manifold on that side. That car rocked and rolled with that 500 in it though.

If you want to be different find an Olds 350 R with a turbo 350 and stick it in. I had one in my 51 Merc for a long time and if you have a metal timing gear they are damned reliable and will rock down the long roads all day long running with the big dogs.

16. How much more can you do with a tape measure past just stuffing things in place? Unless you've never read anything I've posted up in my 18 years here you'd know I'm not afraid of a little Tin surgery. I also know all about the 6cyl treatment Ford did on these cars. If it was "just a little work" it would have been done. There are better options.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have the tools and ability to do what would be needed...(Below is an old Ford that I started from scratch), but that was about (6) years ago.
    I am (76) and have bad knees, back and neck so can't do the laying under on concrete, or kneeling on anything any more..do most of all of my work now from siting on a seat, or my three wheel scooter... :(
    Objective as said above is to get a nice running and decent looking Shoebox done in ~1-1/2 years. Then make the decision whether to sell my home built Biscayne, or the Ford...hopefully I will keep the Ford.
    Lastly I am smart enough to know if I am in over my head because of my limitations, and if so will sell the Ford..knowing that least I did own one !! However, total preference is to keep the Ford, and make it look something like the last picture !!

Attached Files:

Budget36 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  18. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a very wide swing on your pendulum going from flathead to the caddy. Lots of better choices in between that you might consider. I am also at the age where things take longer and hurt more, so pick something that you can get done in your desired timeframe.

19. Knowing a little more about what you want to do and probably can do I would find a nice little 302 or 351W motor bolt on the early small block bellhousing because it will bolt direct to your stock 49 3 speed and build my front mounts. A motor swap can't get any easier than that. Let someone that must have a Flathead spend the $$$ to make the one you have New again. You'll be way happy you made that choice.

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That makes a lot of sense to me...thank you much !

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Its not a matter of just installing something, but maybe something a little different. There are probably thousands of fifties Fords out there with Ford 302s and Chevy 3whatevers in them.
    They were done because it was reasonably easy and reasonably cheap to do. Taking the time to insert a Cadillac requires more effort and planning, but it sure sounds better when you fire up 500 cu inches............
    I'm building an OT S10 and putting an unmentional OT Chevy in it. Very very tight fit. For the radiator, many people recess the radiator into the radiator support. I found that it could be done in a way that looks nice and works well. I put an extension out for the filler and it gave me a lot (?) of room for the front accessories. There are lots of ways to solve problems. I have read enough of your posts to know you are very capable. I think its just a matter of whether someone wants to put the extra effort into making something different..........

22. Kool, so you know I have a fleet of things that are something different. Also that I love Horsepower and Noise. Even without 500ci. it's no dog and has helped many potential customers to open there wallets.
    Smokin 51.JPG

Dave29 likes this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I always liked the 50 Ford hardtops but never had one. If he puts a 500 in it he could call it a "Fastlane 500" :p

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Low budget,bad knees, check. Looks like this might be the best solution https://butchscoolstuff.com/49-51-ford-car-bolt-in-sb-ford-engine-transmission-mount-kit-2501cp/ 302/5.0 Ford with a C4 there are several headers that you can use without alterations too. And by keeping it all Ford it makes it an easier sell if you do later.

Hdonlybob likes this.
  25. evintho

evintho

Gotta agree with Jeff^^^! I'm dropping a 5.0/AOD combo into my '54 Customline. Way easier, don't have to deal with pushing in a clutch, dependable and great cruising ability!

26. That have Been done Many Many Year's ago I remember hang'en
    out at Harvey's Drive in on Northern Blvd,. in Queens, N.Y.
    There was a 50 Ford that had a caddy in it, and I had a
    Olds in my Merc. & I was Second to the Top Dog who who ran
    a supercharged Pontiac
    If you Beat the Fordalack than you ran Me & if you Beat me
    than you could run the Pontiac.
    Thats how it went back in the Day
    The late 50's

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

27. The early 331 and 390 Caddys were a totally different motor than the 500's. Kind of like the Desoto Hemi and Chrysler Hemi's. A few inches here and there make a big difference.

warbird1 likes this.
  28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

To me, the big difference in having a straight stick and an automagic was more about who was in control of the driving. Always felt like when you determined when to shift....you were taking the car for a drive. When the car does the shifting its taking you for a drive. But thats just my way of looking at it.;)

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

Thunderbird 312 in a shoebox bay.

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

I vote for a Nailhead Buick adapted to a Ford 3 spd w/OD. Light weight, compact and very traditional.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pist-n-Broke likes this.