Register now to get rid of these ads!

Retro road trips

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 1CoolRide, Aug 29, 2020.

1. 1CoolRide

1CoolRide

Check out this site
    retroroadmap.com
    Very cool content for vintage road trips.
    If this has been posted before I apologize for the duplication.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1953naegle, Truck64 and quick85 like this.
  2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I gave it a shot but was less than thrilled with what I came up
    with for Illinois. Out of 13 listings, 11 of them were for drive-in theatres
    and two were for restaurant / bars in Chicago. Maybe I need to delve
    further, so I'll try that. My wife and I like to take one day road trips from
    our place which is about 25 miles out of the city. I know she's about had
    her fill of going to down town Chicago and the neighborhoods. It seems
    like we've exhausted many of our north, south and west routes. Today
    is a perfect example. After spending the day in Chicago (again) yesterday,
    we just couldn't think of a route to explore that we haven't already taken.
    So here were are at home on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I appreciate
    1CoolRide's posting this site. Who know's, I may get something out of it.

3. 1CoolRide

1CoolRide

I think the site relies on members to constantly add to the list. We were able to give them the names and locations of three retro spots. So if anyone here knows of a diner, a general store, mom & pop motel etc.
    Send it in and grow the list.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

The one place listed near me I've already checked out (and stayed at).
    DSCN1636.JPG

5. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Cool site! It'll be a long time before I have one of my cars in road-trip condition, but we still try to do one big summer road trip a year. This year we scaled way back, partly due to covid, but mainly because my wife's expecting and it was a catch 22 that we stay in Texas with it's abysmal weather, or be in the car for an unhealthy amount of time to get to a better climate.

We typically make stops every 1 1/2 to 3 hours and try to keep our daily road time to 8 to 10 hours, so I enjoy planning routes with lots of little stops to picnic and stretch our legs along the way. It also helps keep the kids entertained, but fortunately they've been good travelers. As they're getting older we've been trying to do more camping too and they really like the independence of it all. I find that it's best to avoid deadlines when driving and just enjoy the mileage, so I like to limit hotel reservations since I'm offline when I'm on the road. We drove up to Yellowstone last year and had a blast, but we did the drive in two days which was too much to do with small kids. We're on the south east side of Texas so it takes forever to get out of the state, but once we do, I love the Western states.

6. South Carolina did show one unique restaurant but every thing else was a dud, I suppose they rely on people to comment,there sure is a lot more places to dine than 2 in South Carolina. HRP

7. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I just signed up and recommended a couple places. It's pretty quick and easy to do.