Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1956 F100 wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Mike, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Re-wiring my truck with a nice wiring harness but have a dummy (me) question for the wiring gurus....My ign. switch has ACC/ST/BAT/IGN.......The schematic has ACC/ST/COL/AM......On my switch, which is BAT and IGN? Thanks in advance, very much appreciated!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You can usually deduce which terminal is which by checking for continuity between the terminals at each switch position. Do the test in this order...
    1. Turn the switch to ACC. You'll have continuity between ACC and BAT only. Note these.
    2. Turn the switch to IGN (the normal 'run' position). You'll now have continuity between ACC, BAT, and IGN. This identifies the IGN terminal.
    3. Turn and hold the switch in the ST (start) position. You'll have continuity between the BAT, IGN, and ST terminals, but no longer continuity between the ACC and any others. This identifies the ST terminal, so you know which is the IGN, ST, and ACC terminals, the remaining one is BAT.

3. I’ll do it…Thanks Steve!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. ^^That's the easiest way and most fool proof. Do you have a stock diagram also?, easy to get everything going with a stock and aftermarket wiring schematic next to each other.

5. Hey Dan, I have both but the stock one is to small to read and when I enlarge it it’s all fuzzy. I need to get the manual....

6. I have a '56 truck shop manual if you want it.

7. BTW, the 1956 shop manual says "coil" to coil, "acc" goes to gauge power and "am" is battery power from the "b" terminal on the headlight switch.

So "batt" on new switch should = "am" on wiring schematic and "ign" on new switch should = "coil" on wiring schematic. But double check with a continuity test.

8. I will....Thanks Dan. The only reason I’m installing a new harness is someone added cheap gauges that I removed and there was once a modern radio and a CB. It was all cobbled together. I bought a stock harness from C&G and so far it’s an easy install. I’ll get it going and drive down......

9. Ok.....,it's not yellow is it :). Pm me if you need my number.

10. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Another good site for info, I put the yellow panel repair thread on there.

It looks great, still running the Y Block.

12. Yea…I wanted one that wasn’t messed with.....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,

Keep wiring thread going to the end. Lets see some photos, too. Photos of the truck installations are always nice to follow. We have always liked Ford F100 trucks since back in 1956. So, keep it up. !

By the way, how are you guys doing with the heat? In our neck of the coastal woods, it reached 106 and no wind. It is currently 96, but still dead wind. So, it is locked in place with the window shades closed and a small cooling fan keeping us cool as we can be. No A/C for us coastal living people.

Are you staying cool with the heat? Hydrate and stay in the shade. It is the hottest we have felt in the normally cool coastal area. Our old dog normally eats, takes a ton of naps and now has added frequent trips to the water bowl in this heat infused day(s). Tomorrow is supposed to be a little cooler, but not much.

Jnaki

It is unusual for this extreme heat. September is usually warm going into the new school year, but this is very hot and unusual. Stay safe and healthy...

The beach is not a cooling off place. The temps are just too hot to enjoy anything, until the wind picks up for the cooling effect.

14. Hey Jnaki, it’s HOT (says 108 here) and no a/c here either (fans and a small swamp cooler). Last night was nice, cruised around Dana point and San Clemente. Can’t work too much this weekend, too hot during the day and I’m mosquito food at night.......I hate summer, used to love it as a kid :confused:

jnaki likes this.
  15. I’m one of the weird ones who likes the heat..... I worked pretty much all day sorting the wiring and should finish up tomorrow......Lots of liquids today.....

jnaki likes this.
  16. mickeyc

mickeyc

Mosquito food? I did know nor do I remember the
    little bastards in California. I lived in a van at a campground near Los Gatos one summer while
    working construction at the G.M. plant in Fremont.
    We slept comfortably with the doors open. No bug
    problems at all. Now, if you come on down here to
    south Louisiana Bayou country you will find Mosquits like small birds! Fierce to. They just chased
    me out of a nice seat on the porch and into the house.