Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HO52 Axle Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Apache Albert, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

In my 1959 Chevy 3600, I have a HO52 rear differential with 4.56 gears. I've spent hours looking researching rear end. Judging by most forums and their last responses, I might be about 10 years late to the party :(

I originally wanted to swap the gears with a 4.10 or 3.90 but it looks easier to go ahead and swap the entire axle. Going forward, I would like to swap it out with a 14 bolt or slightly newer 8 lug differential.

What vehicles and years should I consider in my search? I doubt there will be a direct swap and/ or leaf spring pearches will need to be moved. I'm also not worried about axle width. (The bed isn't going on for 2 more years and I'm making a flatbed until the bed is complete).

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

69/72 GMC Dana 60's aren't that wide. I'd have to measure the one I have that I am putting under my 71. A bit of hunting will find 3.5 or 3.7 gears. I think my old one has 4.11 but I am going to 3.5.
    Still if you ever plan on putting a box and fenders on it you had better get the right width to start with.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

I've been looking for a decent deal but its a waiting game in Vegas.

Does anyone know where to find HO52 wheel seals? I'm going to do the differential swap later along but want the HO52 cleaned up for now.

Pinion seal is on rockauto for 12 bucks but the wheel seal is mia.

4. wheel seal - Napa NOS 28426 I put a couple in my 1954 3600 a few months ago.

You'll also need the axle flange gaskets - FPG55350

Pack the axle bearings in grease when you reassemble. It takes a while for the gear oil to percolate out to them. You'll burn the bearings up if you assemble them dry.

When you do the pinion seal, get the repair sleeve too. The sealing surface on the flange will be grooved. - NOS 99259

Apache Albert likes this.

5. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Thank you for the response. I called Napa but they currently don't have these in Vegas. Doubt the salesmen had access or even bothered to look outside my region. However, because the part numbers I was able to track these seals and gaskets into newer Duralast ones.