Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NPD faded upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Sep 4, 2020.

1. birdman1

birdman1

My new NPD red and white vinyl upholstery faded from bright red to pink in 3 days! Anyone else have this problem? Otherwise it's a good, tough material. Looks awful.

2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Why post your problem here? Opinions won't change pink to red. Take it up with NPD.

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

We are in the middle of covid. Everybody is behind and supplies are running low and shipping dates are long. So production is sometimes not to good. Just use whatever is on the shelf to get the product out the door. A guy was waiting 6 months for a part and called someone else(NPD) and he got it a few days later. Hasn`t turned powder blue yet, but hasn`t seen the sun yet either.

4. birdman1

birdman1

Aren't you testy today! LoL

Randall and 5window like this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Who or what is NPD?

6. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Not at all. You're issue is with NPD, period.

If you seek sympathy and/or 75 comments with no solution, by all means, continue.

54vicky and badshifter like this.
  7. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

National Parts Depot

8. The real issue here is.:( Why do we care?:confused:

BuckeyeBuicks, abe lugo and da34guy like this.
  9. tough crowd tonite....

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

So I guess post complaining about a product or something or any complaint is not welcome? HELL , might as well shut this site down. I have not been on this forum as long as some but I get sick and tired of these smart-ass responses . If you can't offer something constructive , keep your trap shut . Grow up gentlemen.

11. badshifter

badshifter

Kinda what you did here with your original post.

Constructive is... I bought red and white whatever from NPD. After 3 days they are blah blah blah. I called NPD, they said blah blah blah. Getting new ones from XYZ. The green and purple ones from XYZ are rated for 7 weeks. NPD offered a full refund. Problem solved.
    Just an FYI on constructive posts. They have a problem, a solution, and a result.
    Your post is a rant, or a complaint. Not constructive.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  12. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Oh, and another pet peeve is folks not reading post clearly. In this case Badshifter apparently didn't read whom posted the " original post"

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. clem

clem

I used to come here to escape the day to day nonsense of the world............

having got that out of the way, I must say I find it pretty impressive that your upholstery could fade in record breaking time: - 3 days is just amazing, almost unbelievable. - Now just waiting for confirmation from pictures from OP.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    K13, Hnstray and egads like this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been doing upholstery for over 30 years and never seen any fade in 3 days,3 years maybe but who knows now with alot being made in China anything is possible.

15. 5window

5window

Poor. Snarky, not helpful and while the HAMB has been traditionally quick to jump on folks, you really aren't helping. It appears to me that the OP is seeking out others so he can call NPD with more of a group, rather than an individual problem. And, therefore, possibly get more attention than if he called them as an individual. Your suggestion to call NPD is valid, your tone isn't. Put the Yorkie back in his kennel and go look for another fight.

j hansen, X-cpe, 56don and 2 others like this.
  16. 5window

5window

This HAMBer has a problem and is looking for help. The real question is, why DON'T you care?

F-ONE, j hansen, 56don and 2 others like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He asked if anyone else had any problem like this. I have not. But I also have shops do my upholstery work with known materials from them. Sometimes I bring the part; other times the entire vehicle.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I ordered black pleated by the yard a week ago. Guess I'll set it in the sun for a few days before I get busy with it.

19. 5window

5window

Good option, but there is nothing wrong with the time-honored way of doing it your self. I re-did the seats in my '31 (great seats but not quite HAMB era) with a leather kit, but I wanted the experience and there aren't good upholstery shops near me. The one guy who quoted was 4 times higher than what it ended up being and he put off putting seam binding on the kick panels forever, then did a crappy job and overcharged me. Not getting my recommendation. Your experience may differ. Experience, of course, is what you get when you don't have any.

20. 5window

5window

I used black machine pleated vinyl in my A. Got it from Gary's in Florida, but I am not sure if he is still around. It was rated for auto/boat exposure and has held up well. Looks like the stuff JC Whitney sold in the 60's when guys did their own and that was what I was looking for.

21. fortynut

fortynut

Oh man! What a soap opera some of this life with cars becomes. I think I'm going to use unstained natural leather. Me being a half ass cowboy anyway, sitting on a half ass saddle should be about right.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

And they said you can't get pink upholstery!

56don likes this.
  23. samurai mike

samurai mike

i like cookies, i'm going to eat one now.

24. birdman1

birdman1

25. Did he contact NPD about the problem before he came here and drug their name and reputation through the mud? Did he request that they replace the material or refund his money and they refuse? He doesn't say so. I can get on here and say that you cashed my check for $50 and never sent my part. You may have just got the check and cashed it yesterday and put it in the mail today so how fair is that for you? I have never ordered or bought any part from NPD and do not know their reputation or even care but they may have some recourse (lawsuit for defamation) for him saying what he has without not offering them time to remediate it.

26. Cookies and Milk

mmmmmm

27. Usually when i think something is silly or I'm simply not interested in it, i ignore it. I read a lot of crazy shit on this forum, most of the time i just assume it's some guy that hasn't taken his medicine yet or some shit like that, but i don't let it affect me. Easier to let it go. And birdman I'm sorry you spent that money and got an inferior product. There's a thread on my 57 Chevy, i called out a company over their crap shit Chinese product. Turns out they are represented on here. They assured me that they take pride in making their products right here in the USA! (With Chinese steel I'm sure) but ya know what? Bitches never said a word about replacing their inferior product. Go read it, right there on my thread. So my brother, if you feel cheated, preach it! I'll listen! And if I had been planning on ordering any seat covers, you would've just kept me from buying from npd. Have a great night

clunker, Lone Star Mopar and Budget36 like this.
  28. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Geeze, please show where he drug their name thru the mud .All I see is him posting that the it faded and he even goes on to say it seems to be a tough material . Lawsuit , defamation ! You gotta be kiddin.

29. Budget36

Budget36

Pills next to your right on the night stand...just saying.

30. Ya know birdman, it's probably that new color shifting material, it changes with your mood. Get pissed and see if it darkens back up ;)

Budget36 likes this.