Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Four Months of 2020 to go***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2020.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@fine29 The length needs to be long enough to reach the ground with some left over so you can put out the fire and keep it off your foot.
    I'm guessing you are referring to a brake like I had on my first coaster.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=set...rome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_GytQX6U4wra0Bpmek4gE31
    I don't know if the link will take you there.Pictures are better than words.
    Good luck and there is more to the brake system than adjustment, but a good start.

Jet96 and fine29 like this.
  2. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

@fine29 that's a nice lil roadster!

fine29 likes this.
  3. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Thanks, it was restored in the 70’s and was the couples car they’d go on tours with.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Binger and Jet96 like this.
  4. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I’m here and my B short block is about finished. Putting Yapp’s Roof overhead on it.

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

Put her fenders back for she catches cold..dont use no stinking board :) remove rear brake rod at rear brake arm,gently push arm forward to remove slack,adjust rod to fit arm,reinstall rod,repeat on other side,front arms need to be 15 degrees forward,fully actuated when vertical.you need to shim the brake actuator pin to achieve that...but once you do,and the rears are done as above,jack up each wheel and adjust till you get a light drag...drive and adjust to where it skids the rears but doesn't pull...mechanical brakes are cool,but you have to play with them to get them right..

rwrj, Savage Coupe, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

put a "teds kit" in it !!!!!!!!!!

Outback, Savage Coupe, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  7. Thanks, it is a blast, unplanned and thrown together for a few days of clay pan(dry lake) racing.Red Dust Revival.. First 4banger I’ve had, won’t be the last.

Thanks, I like it, and my mate Spider comes a running on start up.He gets pissed when he’s not the one in the passengers seat.
    I’ve followed and enjoyed your build thread. Great car.

Still smiling.

Thanks, honestly just thrown together really, been on a trailer though, for a 800 mile round trip out to the edge of the desert for a few days of racing.
    Haven’t cleaned the old girl since , the Red Dust is abit of a badge and comes from racing on Lake Perkolilli, one of Australia’s earliest and still used natural race tracks, exactly how it was 100+ years ago.

Star 351, rwrj, Outback and 4 others like this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I started to say that and more, but I just decided to answer the OP's question. You are correct.
    Then there is the 'steel drums expand when they get hot' discussion along with take out all the slop with worn components. Yes, Teds floaters and installing cast iron drums
    I think I made a waggon jack out of my 'board'

Savage Coupe and Jet96 like this.
  9. railcarmover

railcarmover

Boards are for building shit,ya gotta pull the slack out before you can adjust.cast iron drums and and woven shoes? yup.

Savage Coupe and fine29 like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blown head gasket
    Time to freshen it up. I'm still finding mud from the dirt drags three years ago... good memories IMG_20200903_092349424.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

Here is a picture of the brake helper I made from scrap lumber. You can make your to push against the seat and brake pedal with enough friction to hold the pedal at 1", 2" , 3" etc. There are many web sites with instructions on how to adjust brakes. I have provided a link to one. http://www.lionsgatemodelaclub.com/Technical Tips/Service Brake Adjustment.PDF

The adjustment of Model A Ford brake is very involved, not quite as easy as off the rail suggests.

5280A2, Barrelnose pickup and fine29 like this.
  12. railcarmover

railcarmover

What works for me might not work for you,sorry about your skill level

13. v8flat44

v8flat44

You guys sure have some GR8 cars !!!!!!

14. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

my body is ready to pick up! :)
    body.jpg

15. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

6FAF557F-F777-4217-B1A0-2AC71F336141.jpeg 71222666-0731-4CEE-8026-77F597CF5D6C.jpeg 0F2677FB-00D3-4E3D-9E8C-EDE57AF31FEC.jpeg B1E78F58-46B5-4B6A-8EAB-7E87ABAE813B.jpeg C2592166-F3FD-4176-9B48-F36C77630F39.jpeg Hello Fellas,

So my buddy beat me to this engine on Craigslist. We would appreciate any info anyone might have on how to prep for firing it. What should we look for or make sure to do? He has not pulled the pan yet but plans to. Curious on routing oil to the rockers? Any ideas on the front cover? I’ve never seen one like it and can’t find any info online. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Hance.

16. Thanks for this info,will be a great help.

17. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG] Bob McKinney passed away 10 ? years ago. He made some real heavy duty stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodA and Savage Coupe like this.
  18. Hance,
    no worries, the oil lines up to lube the rockers typically were fed into the casting bosses just under the covers on the dist side of head. Those look like never drilled or welded closed.
    The REM cover is actually the oil pump, the bolt and jam nut should be pressure adjustment.
    Drop the pan and make sure pickup is free of debris.

J

Old Dawg and Savage Coupe like this.
  19. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

Thanks for replying and the good info guys. Do you know if there’s any manuals for setting valve lash on the rockers and torque specs for the head?

Hance.

20. Hance,

I'll let someone else answer the rocker lash issue
    The torque specs though are pretty simple, do no exceed 55ft# on the head studs.
    Some people will go up to 70 but you will be starting to distort the deck of the block.

John

winduptoy and Savage Coupe like this.
  21. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

IMG_7621.JPG

I was just reminded by Facebook that I started on this build 11 years ago!

We are getting close to a running chassis. All the Father & Son time together working on this together has been well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Hance, I don't remember who fixed this photo for me but they oiled the rockers thru the valve cover stud with a banjo type fitting. You can also oil by drilling the rocker assembly. Return oil thru pushrod holes. As far as valves I run one of Brierley cams and valves are set at intakes .010 and exhaust .014 Jim would be a good one to talk to about 4 ports. R4P.png

Old Dawg, Outback and Savage Coupe like this.
  23. Savage Coupe

Savage Coupe
    from Washington

Thank you again fellas for the help. Sent Jim a email waiting to hear back.

Hance.

24. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

I made the Riley picture. There is another way to add oil thru the rocker stand.

I am currently sitting on the side of the road with a B fuel pump issue. Wife is coming with the trailer. Whoever asked last month about the B pump plumbing I recommend to buy an electric pump.

dmdeaton, Old Dawg, burl and 2 others like this.
  25. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I wonder if you will still recommend elec when it's fixed & nostalgia has kicked back in! Haha. Hope you get home ok!

26. had the same dilemma during lockdown when I used the Coupe to go to work one day. Had to do the last two miles on the end of a rope. When I looked for my electric pump I eventually found it neatly packaged and ready to fit in the corner of the trunk.

it hadn’t leaked through but I guess the diaphragm started to break down. NOS fitted about ten years ago.

27. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

My dad worked in the Ford garage in Sioux Falls in the 30's. He told me those early fuel pumps needed a diaphragm every 5 or 6 thousand miles, sometimes you could get 10,000 if you didn't use the car in the winter months. Natural rubber bonded to cotton fabric I suppose, about like the tires.

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my GPA worked for henry in Detroit . i miss him ........

29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '29 Roadster is getting a head gasket and rings. Forgot today is a holiday... Parts tomorrow then
    Happy Labor Day IMG_20200907_074334337_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old Dawg, burl, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully you are home by now Martin.
    I really like this pump www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12-426
    1.5 to 4 PSI and it doesn't require a regulator. It just doesn't build any more pressure after the float needles seat.
    I'm running it on Stromberg '81's without an external regulator. No flooding or leaking.

Good luck