Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Ford Terminology

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Could you guys and gals please shed a little light on the Flathead Ford terms like: 8BA, 8CM, and so forth. I think there are more than just those two, but I don’t remember what they are. What do these designations mean? Where do they come from? Are they cast/stamped into the block? Do they refer to years? I understand the 21/24 stud reference, but I’ve read these other terms for a couple of years here without understanding them. Unfortunately, the only Flathead that I’ve ever worked on is the International Harvester C-60 Engine from the Cub tractor line. Please help out a Small Block Chevrolet guy. Thanks for your help.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

3. Mac VP

Mac VP

4. After looking at both charts, thanks guys!, the numbers I’m referring to are actually engine models? I didn’t realize that Ford made so many different models of Flathead engines.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi and Flathead Dave like this.

5. Correct.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. Books are a great resource.....some of the numbers you mention are actually on the heads - between the Fords - Mercs and Lincoln's....have fun learning - I still mess up sometimes.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

flathead part numbers are goofy until you get the hang of it. you gonna play with flathead fords and get the diesel oil off ya truck doctor? not much of a gain, old ford black oil is almost as hard to wash off as diesel oil !

Desoto291Hemi likes this.