Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Intake valve Guide Seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Airborne34, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

NEWB Question. Exactly how do the intake valve guide seals go on? Engine is a 59AB with split guides. Do they go above or below the retainer clip.

2. alchemy

alchemy

The only valve guide seals are the O-ring things that go on the outside of the guide to seal against the block. Only one place to put them.

Some guys say they aren't needed because the guides get "glued" to the block anyway.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Only the intake guides get them. They go in the groove on the guide. Must guys recommend that the split guide valvetrain be upgraded to the newer one-piece units.

4. Go ahead and give me the old thread revival award for the day...
    I have done a search and didn't find what I am looking for.
    I am working on a '46 (based on non-raised intake mount and the 2 large center water passage holes) Flathead with the split valve guides and mushroom valves. I found some sloppy guides so I am replacing guides, springs, and horse shoe clips and I am wondering about guide seals.
    The two piece guides have a cast ridge running longitudinally across the channel were a seal would go. I don't see a way to put a seal on the guides and have them fit in the block. (see Pic)
    None of the ones I took out had seals.
    Am i missing something?
    Did the early split guide engines even come with seals from the factory?
    Is there a special seal I need to get for split guides?
    Should I even worry about seals?
    Thanks for the input.
    Chappy
    ValveGuide.jpg

5. alchemy

alchemy

As I said ten years ago, many guys don't use them because the guide will have oil cooked into the gap creating a seal of it's own. That's why the guides are so hard to get out.

stillrunners likes this.
  6. 42merc

42merc

Split guides do not use seals.