Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tempestorque Tempest Transaxle--throttle valve connection?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 30, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I got a car that's build out of a 63 Tempest/LeMans. The transmission does not shift. The vacuum modulator holds vacuum. There does not appear to be any throttle valve connection on it...there's a plug on the side, where I think the lever should be.

Anyone know about these transaxles? The transmission is very similar to a Corvair powerglide, but power goes in the other end, and there are a few other differences, such as having Park.

tempestorque.jpg

2. Wrench97

Wrench97

Didn't the 63 have a solenoid kick down?
    I think they also eliminated the rear pump the earlier ones had, so externally I would pull the governor and check the gear.

squirrel likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks, I'll check into it.

4. Joe H

Joe H

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

They did have a kick down switch so it follows there should be a solenoid but I couldn't find a picture.

6. squirrel

squirrel

That makes sense..there is a wire on the side other side of the case.

I still need to do a lot of electrical work on the car, I will follow the wire before getting too far along with any other things on it.

Thanks for the help guys, I didn't expect electric kickdown. But it does make sense...there are some brackets on the carb that look like a KD switch would have been installed there. I guess the last guy who worked on it didn't know what it was and removed it.

Also, I did find that manual on the web before, but it's too small to read.

7. LightedFullPageMag_2_26143_600x450px_lg.jpg

This should help on those OLD eyes...

8. squirrel

squirrel

It's a matter of the resolution used to scan it.....

9. Wrench97

Wrench97

The 63 is different from the earlier ones as I remember, the 61/62 used a rear pump and KD linkage.
    I remember trying to use a 62 transaxle in a 63 back in the mid 70's and it was a lost cause.

squirrel likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

That's good to know...

I just ordered an original 63 shop manual, looks like I'll need it!

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I can personally attest to the fact that you don't want to play road racer in curves , that swing axle gets weird when attempting to change direction abruptly ....

12. Actually, they seem to be pretty high resolution scans and they blew up plenty big on my desktop monitor. I think you just might need to click on them one or two more times to view then at full size. Or after you select and click the page you want just click again on the hyperlink below the page that says "original size".

http://pontiac.oldcarmanualproject....Tempest Shop Manual/13-Auto Trans/b_P0038.jpg

b_P0038.jpg

ras, loudbang, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I didn't fool around with it enough, thanks!

14. leon bee

leon bee

Especially on a rainy night when you're 13 years old and you took the car out joy riding while your parents were off at a late night party.

15. squirrel

squirrel

The manual from 1961 is partly helpful, but not entirely...because of the transmission redesign in 1963.

I did find some discussion on the Corvair forum about adjusting the manual shift linkage, which I just did...it was pretty far out, I had to jam the shifter hard to get it into reverse. I had tried holding it in several different posisitons to try to get it to shift into second, no dice.

The vacuum modulator apparently was redesigned for 63, also. It uses the big black can, held in by a bolted retainer, like the TH400, 350, etc. The fun part is that the crimped seam on the modulator will hit the rear control arm mounting bracket, before it will come out all the way. So it looks like I have to disassemble rear suspension just to change the modulator! but if it's the same one used in the later transmissions, I can replace it with a small one, and won't have to disassemble again to redo it.

Or I could just pry it over and mangle it and then remove it, and hope it's the same...

I'll check the governor gear first, though. If I can find the retainer bolt for it!

this is the pic I found on the internet of how to adjust the manual linkage on a corvair, when in Drive, the manual valve should be just here.

drive.jpeg

this is where it was on mine. I adjusted it.

tran1.jpg

16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I'm no help here, but I am cheering for you!

I always solved my Corvair Powerglide issues by putting a 4 speed in them.:D Yes I know... not helpful.

17. squirrel

squirrel

not helpful, but it's a good idea, anyways.

I got the governor out, I think I found the problem. Now, to find a gear or replacement governor...they are opposite too angle than the normal GM transmissions, of course.

tran2.jpg

18. Mainly I just liked the illustration of the valve body from that '61 manual. It looks like there's only about 8 parts to the whole thing. :p

squirrel likes this.
  19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

That does look suspiciously broken, doesn't it!

You are considerably more adventurous than I, with the taking apart a weird automatic. I'm glad you're getting down to the issue.

20. Wrench97

Wrench97

Yep no governor no upshift.
    Does the shaft spin freely?
    Do you hear any loose parts in the sealed can?

21. 34Phil

34Phil

22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Care to tell us what kind of car someone built using Tempest components? It's just gotta be interesting.

31Apickup likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

Anyways, reverse works now, like it should. My brother said I could borrow the governor off the Corvair for a little while, until the new replacement gear shows up.

I can't really tell you about the car because the last time I posted a picture of it, the thread got locked.

Nostrebor and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I seriously doubt I have a Corvair PG governor in my remaining parts hoard, but I will take a look tonight. If I do it is yours free of charge.

25. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks, but I have it covered already! If my plans don't work out, I'll let you know.

btw check the link in my signature, after a while...

Nostrebor, warbird1 and Jiminy like this.
  26. Wrench97

Wrench97

So I share a last name with the builder..........................coincidence as I doubt we are related :)

27. jaracer

jaracer

Are you sure it is a 63? The main difference between the 61 - 62 and the 63 transmissions is the rear pump. If it has a rear pump, that's where the governor gets it pressure. If the pump drive pin shears you have no up shift.

There should be a cable going to the trans for the throttle valve. It works much like a Powerglide in that the throttle pressure controls the shift points, while the vacuum modulator controls the trans operating pressure. However this appears to have changed in 63. I'm looking at a Motor's Transmission manual and I don't see any reference to a throttle cable. It looks like the vacuum modulator may have taken over shift points. Yes there is a downshift solenoid on the 63 valve body. I don't have a picture of the governor, but it appears to be like the later GM units and is gear driven. That plastic gear sometimes fails.

28. squirrel

squirrel

The governor gear did fail. This one does not have the TV cable, it does have a kickdown solenoid. I believe they also changed the type of modulator in 63, this does not use the screw in type, it has the slip in type.

I think I have it pretty well figured out now....just need to get a working governor in there, and see how it does.

29. "I can't really tell you about the car because the last time I posted a picture of it, the thread got locked."

Square headlights will do it. Fun project!

Phil

squirrel likes this.