Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 368 trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Aug 30, 2020.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't looked at it yet, but just talked to a guy with a 368 Y- Block. Year isn't known for sure. It has an auto trans on it. What I am wondering...is what trans might it be. And is it something useable if good??? Thinking of putting the whole package in my uncle's '32 five window.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I put a toploader on mine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You don't give us much to go on but a series of Google searches reveals that a 368 engine was used by Lincoln in 1956 and 57, and all were equipped with a 3 speed Turbo Drive automatic. This was Lincoln's version of the Warner Gear transmission known in Ford as Fordomatic and Mercury as Mercomatic. Same engine/trans also used in some 1957 Mercuries.

bchctybob likes this.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, I should have had more info before I asked. The guy is about 100 miles from me. Not the longest I have traveled to look at something. Just kind of wanted to get an idea if the trans was something useable. It's looking like I might to have to put an auto trans in my uncles car sooner then later. Thought this might be a pretty neat package, maybe not??? Thanks for the replies! Gene.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

"all were equipped with a 3 speed Turbo Drive automatic. This was Lincoln's version of the Warner Gear transmission known in Ford as Fordomatic and Mercury as Mercomatic. Same engine/trans also used in some 1957 Mercuries."

B-W had a million variations on this same basic Ravigneux design, including small, medium and large case versions, also lots of valve body, converter and tailshaft variations, also some of this stuff was used on B-W marine Velvet Drives as well as industrial transmissions. So, everything is the same, but often different. Make sure you know exactly what the trans is, and try to find an old Lempco catalog if you're planning on going this way. Personally, I'd want to go with a C6.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The only reason for wanting such an engine is that you are restoring a 1956 or 57 Lincoln or Mercury, or want to build a nostalgic hot rod. In your case it would be a slightly unusual choice for a fifties hot rod but not unknown. Nothing wrong with the stock engine and trans just don't expect too much. Performance should be similar to a stock 350 or 351, plenty to be going along with but not to set the world on fire. Any hop up equipment scarce, expensive and not worth the bother.

I think it would make a cool hot rod, and one you should be able to use and drive to your heart's content provided the engine is in good shape to start with.

bchctybob likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of those transmissions were heavy but really tough for their day. You can call Art Carr at his shop in Huntington Beach Ca. and he can tell you how he snookered the factory engineers with a medium case over a large case they used with the Thunderbolts..

8. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool...thanks for all the info!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Fordomatic is not a bad transmission and would be something different. With that engine in a light car you won't hurt it if you drive it reasonable. Having said that, some hard parts are becoming harder to find. So if you are considering using it, I would take it apart for inspection and see what it might need and if you can find it before getting in too deep.

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You could bolt a Lincoln 4 speed hydramatic to the 368. 1952-1954 Lincolns came with hydramatic to the 317 Y block, which has the same bell pattern as the 368.
    BTW: I am building a 368 with Lincoln hydramatic for dropping in my 1957 F100 "push truck".

11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Be a great motor for a '32 Hot-Rod. The Linc-O-Matic that is attached to it, not so much. I would be spending the money on an adaptor and backing it with a modern overdrive.

Wilcap, Speed Gems, and Bendstens all make adaptors to put modern autos behind the Big Y.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This gives you an idea of how far off an FE bellhousing is from bolting to a 368. Little slotting. Some dowel moving and it's on. upload_2020-9-3_11-17-12.jpeg

13. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry just getting back to this thread. Some really good info. With the grass around here growing like it's on steroids. And the PTO clutch on my tractor dead, l have been spending a lot of time following the walk behind around. That said, weather permitting, I am supposed to look at it this weekend. Will report back. Thanks Gene.

bchctybob and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was headed out to look at the engine/trans. Just about half way there and got a call that someone was there to buy it. Did I want to offer more money??? More money...haven't even scene it yet. No, sell it to that guy. Went to a little diner and had a good breakfast. Then to a yard sale and bought a bunch of motor oil w/Zink for cheap. Good day!

lothiandon1940, Algoma56 and egads like this.
  15. ..........What did you have for breakfast?.....Oh wait, this isn't Facebook!!:D:rolleyes:

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry guys...did I Faceblab?? Didn't mean to. Will try to control that in the future.

lothiandon1940 and seb fontana like this.
  17. ...........Just messin' with you.

alphabet soup likes this.
  18. cobrabreeze

cobrabreeze
    from Renton, WA

Hi Rich,
    Is it just 1 bolt hole and 1 dowel hole to rework?
    Thanks
    Fred Sanderson
    425-227-7778

19. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

We lost HAMB contributor Rich Fox to cancer on Sept 29th.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very sorry to hear that @RICH FOX has passed. Always read his posts/threads. Very smart guy. RIP

Was that in 2021?

Ray

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  21. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Yes, Sept 2021.

22. Gene, the other buyer probably did you a favor.

alphabet soup and lothiandon1940 like this.