Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sun Distributor Machine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 Hump, Feb 25, 2015.

1. 38 Hump

38 Hump

I've been having fun with my Sun MD-1 distributor machine working on points type distributors and would like to adapt the machine to work with HEI distributors. I have heard there is a way to make an adapter with parts and diagram. Would anyone happen to have this available? I know there is one commercially made but that it is rather expensive.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Larry

2. Gmc bubba. Is the guy to ask.

3. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

The device you need is called a pulse amplifier. Sun made such a device so the then-new magnetic pickup distributors could be tested on their machines, and you can sometimes find them on e bay. They usually sell for around $200 or more, but Paramount Distributors in Byron, Michigan makes a copy which they sell for around $160. Not cheap, but it works. I first bought a home made pulse amplifier off e bay for around $70. It was actually a Bosch ignition module from a BMW, with instructions on how to hook it up. It worked, but not as well, and it was a cumbersome thing to hook up. Additionally, you have to use a 12 volt car battery to power it. The unit I bought from Paramount hooks up simply, the same as the original Sun unit, and it doesn't require a battery or outside power.

4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

A GM 4 pin hei module does the same thing as the pulse amplifier..
    And yes..you need a 12 volt battery as well..
    I paid a guy for the "top secret" instructions on how to make my machine work on msd and other electronic distrubutors..
    I laughed out loud when I opened the big manilla envelope and there was a single sheet of hand written instructions and a crude drawing of the module & wiring diagram. .
    One paragraph of instructions.

It does work !!

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a spare pulse amplifier i would sell you if you are interested

6. 38 Hump

38 Hump

Thanks for the replies. Trying to get a hold of GMC Bubba... no luck yet.

7. subford

subford

Can you share the drawing he sent?
    Also the hand written instructions.
    or email it to me at:
    [email protected]
    Thanks.

8. subford

subford

My SDT SUN Distributor Tester works with the newer Ford Distributors without any pulse amp just the module for Distributor being tested.
    I Tested it with both the Duraspark 2 and the EEC-IV CCD Ignition systems.
    Here is how I wired it:
    [​IMG]

\

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

You can do so many things with points distributors and having one of those machines you can keep it in a perfect state of tune. I'm going to install a three way switch to both sets of points in my dual point and connect the common lead to the coil negative. This way I can change the timing slightly when I need to because of ping due to heat or bad gasoline. I only need one set of points since I use a CD box, I'm going to try the Vertex Z-6, its suppose to be made in America...

This thread made me think of a local gearhead who had a Sun Distributor machine in his garage. He uses nothing but Mallory dual point distributors with no vacuum advance... He loves those distributors..

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  10. subford

subford

I should have added to the post above that it ran find when I put a Points Distributor in it also.
    I also used a 6 volt bench power supply/charger and not a battery in the above tests.

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I always ran mallory dual points in all my old pontiacs and loved them. still have one floating around somewhere.

If I was doing a more resto looking style motor rebuild then I would use the original point distributor and gut it and add one of the mr. gasket dual point conversion plates to it.