Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical electric wiper conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msgt tank, Sep 2, 2020.

1. msgt tank

msgt tank

have you found an electric wiper from a car that would work on a split windshield? we were thinking a rear wiper from a suv. the short sweep makes it hard to find something that works.

2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

On my 48 with split windshield, I went with a Newport engineering wiper motor. Best money that I have spent.

3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 39 Chevy with a split window and I used a Dodge Caravan rear wiper motor....works just fine!

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I used a rear wiper motor out of a S10 Blazer

msgt tank likes this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

A second vote for Newport Engineering.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I used a rear window wiper motor from a Jeep Cherokee in by ‘50 Chevy sedan delivery

msgt tank likes this.
  7. Make it a third. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind there are 2 types of wiper motors...circular motion and the motors with a transmission type. Most newer cars use the circular motion motor and it makes both wipers go in the same direction. On a split windshield car, traditionally the wipers go in opposite directions...this requires a transmission type set-up.

msgt tank and i.rant like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I used an old Toyota rear window wiper and adapted it to the linkage from the old vacuum motor. The only problem was attaching it to the Toyota tapered splined shaft. Can't remember how I did it but it worked fine, only drawback was that it was single speed.

msgt tank likes this.
  10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

it depends on how the arms going from the motor to the wipers are attached. If they’re attached on opposite sides of the wiper motor shaft then they will go in opposite directions. If attached to a common point on one side of the motor shaft then they will move in the same direction.
    The Jeep motor I used is a two speed. Slow and damned slow.

37slantback and msgt tank like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

I love my vacuum wipers on my Buick. Love the sound it makes as the vacuum motor works. Not many hills around here so no problems with them stopping.:D

msgt tank likes this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is incorrect. Pic 1 shows a standard dual wiper system. The final drive turns 360 degrees and both wipers move in the same direction. wipe2.jpg

Pic 2 is a Dual wiper system with wipers moving in opposite directions. As you can see, there is no way you can use a 360 degree final drive...as the arms will just run into each other...it's physically impossible. You need an additional transmission to make the final drive go in a back and forth motion...and less than 180 degrees both ways. wipe1.jpg

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two words:

New Port.

hotrodjack33 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Incidentally, The above is a Newport Engineering set-up

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. Mimilan

Mimilan

Fit an Alternator from a Japanese Diesel engine, they have a powerful vacuum pump driven off the back of them
    upload_2020-9-3_15-45-19.png

16. Garpo

Garpo

With the 360 degree rotary link type there is sometimes room to put one of the outer links above the spindle. This reverses the action.

msgt tank likes this.
  17. neilswheels and msgt tank like this.
  18. chargin03

chargin03

Newport on my 51 Chevy.

19. Newport is worth the Money,

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport in my '54 Ranch Wagon. Worth the money. IMO

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have installed at least four Newports over the years. Great people, great product.

I have no quarrel with anyone adapting/engineering their own conversions. But for simplicity, fitment, performance and time saving, Newport is a helluva deal.

Ray

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you can access a copy of sinclair's "thunder road flathead guide," there's a chapter on modifying a vw beetle wiper setup for use on a shoebox ford.

msgt tank likes this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Newport in my deuce 3 window, Pickup, 5 window and 40 coupe. All work flawlessly.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a specialty power windows cable driven wiper motor setup on my 48. One of the drives on the shaft for the wiper is reversed from the other so the blades go in opposite directions If there was room under the dash for the rod to work the arm on the shaft you might be able to flip one and use them with the motor that works in a circular motion.

From a lot of time under the dash trying to get various donor rig wiper motors to work in my 48 in the 70's a proper kit will save you endless hours of fighting with it no matter what rig you have.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. European Custom

European Custom

I also can recommend New Port. I use it in my 48' chevy with split windshield with no issues.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The Lucas wiper motor in a lot of earlier British cars works with a push-pull cable, which might open up installation possibilities. Lucas notwithstanding, the one in my Morris has been very reliable. It's simple, strippable, easily rebuildable.

msgt tank likes this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since its positive earth does that mean the wipers go up and down instead of back and forth? Just kidding.:cool:

28. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of the early Studebaker trucks that had a motor that went around in a circle. A pin on each side of the 2-3 inch circle lifts one up and the other goes down on a split windshield. I believe some were 6 volts and later ones were 12volt. I have one on a 50 truck works fine and I think it is a 2 speed, but I only use fast.

msgt tank likes this.
  29. gene-koning

gene-koning

To the OP. A single electric wiper will work on your 48, but you need to watch how much sweep the wiper makes. Most SUV's have around 120 degree sweep, and that is a lot for most split windshield cars. If you want 2 wipers, you can mount 2 separate single electric motors and probably wire them to run off one switch. I have wipers with a 90 degree sweep on my 49 Plymouth and those work well with 12" or 13" wiper blades. I created the system on my 48, from a Dodge Dakota system with an idler arm for one side that changes its direction. It works OK, but I probably won't repeat that setup again.

My current project is a 49 Dodge truck, and I'm working on a wiper system for it, one of those $300 Newport systems is looking better all the time. Gene

firstinsteele and msgt tank like this.
  30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"If you want 2 wipers, you can mount 2 separate single electric motors and probably wire them to run off one switch."

Regarding the above, you might consider Mighty Wipers. https://raingearwipers.com/ if you want 2 separate motors. One potential problem is if you wire them off the same switch they might not stay synced. Or that is what I've been told by guys running two motors on early Broncos but I'm not 100% positive about that. All things considered I'd go with a Newport system if the make one for your car.

msgt tank likes this.