Register now to get rid of these ads!

Allison V-12's how many racers used them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VanHook, May 14, 2008.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Lee Pendelton in Ashtabula Ohio seems to have bought all of Arfons engines for his sidewinder puller. I saw Art Arfons in his first Green Monster in Akron in 1954

chryslerfan55 and Spoggie like this.
  4. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Poster in our Dyno control room signed by the man.

poster.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Speed Gems like this.
  5. brjnelson

brjnelson

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Man, wish I could hear one run

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to one of those WWII shows at an airport and get your fill..

8. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

upload_2020-9-5_19-46-44.jpeg

Same car from post#64 in color

Attached Files:

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. RatPwrd

RatPwrd
    1. 37-38 Chevys

10. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

The streamliner Jocko Johnson built for Dean Moon was originally setup for an Allison. It wasn't very successful and was later equipped with a BBC for the Budweiser commercials, etc. The Hot Rod Magazine-sponsored "Cream Puff" marathon boat was also Allison-powered.

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Our experience with Allison V-12s was watching Art Arfons bring his Green Monster out West to Lions Dragstrip. It was the first showing of his creation to the locals that only saw it in the Drag News weekly papers. Talk about a spectator draw for the dragstrip. Even my dad was thrilled to be able to see an airplane motor driven race car going down the dragstrip.
    upload_2020-9-6_3-46-36.png 1959
    The Green Monster at Lion's Dragstrip

from a previous post:

Art Afrons at Lions Dragstrip 1959-60

Sorry, I forgot to include the footage that I took of Art Afrons' "Green Monster" #11 at Lions Dragstrip in 1959-60. It was noted that of all "Green Monsters" that were built, number 11 was the most consistent and fastest. The day at Lions and the resulting film satisfied the need to see and hear the ALLISON powered race car. (Currently, I am researching for some original Afrons Allison powered sounds to tie into the 1959 original racing film that I took.)

Impressive as it was, there were other drag racers that made their own versions of an Allison powered race car. It will forever be in the history books and archives as anything Allison, means the different Green Monsters throughout the years.

But, for some reason, we were in the middle of an explosion of great So Cal drag racing/race car development and these two just made our day. As nice as seeing the Allison powered race car was, we were traditional So Cal drag race/hot rod teenagers and liked the power and quickness in the West Coast race cars.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-9-6_3-49-19.png Drag News

This first West Coast trip to show the “locals” an aircraft powered dragster did wonders for spectator attention. Everyone stopped what they were doing and came to the viewing area to see this “cool” race car run. The first thing everyone noticed was that it did not have a lot of quickness off of the line and took a while to get moving. But, moving it did, sounding like the airplanes that flew over our house from the Long Beach Airport.
    upload_2020-9-6_3-50-9.png 1959 Lions Dragstrip

We were impressed with the unusual look of the Allison powered race car. The whole show brought people into the dragstrip that normally would not go. It was a show piece of a different kind. We all saw airplanes with their distinctive sounds, but no one on the West Coast ever saw a race car that had an Allison motor as the power source. This was a first for all that came to see the race car in action. (Even my dad wanted to go to Lions to see this race car in action…)

NEWLY CREATED ALLISON DRAG RACE SOUND FROM 1959.

Filmed at Lions Dragstrip in 1959, sound from Afrons in the Midwest in 1959.

12. jnaki

jnaki

PART TWO :

Hello,
    In a conver
    sation with one of the Tapia Brothers, he mentioned the match race event and sent me a photo. Here is the event description as posted earlier on the HAMB.
    Afrons

Art Afrons was a hard working guy with a new race car that no others had at the time. Then a few popped up at various dragstrips in different areas of the USA. The rest, as most say, is history. I was able to film the first #11 racing at Lions, but did not get to film the match race against the Tapia Brothers SBC powered injected FED.;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImCAhR9M5oI Tapia Brothers total
    upload_2020-9-7_4-13-31.png
    NOTE: Some kid in a red Pendleton shirt being up close and personal with the Tapia Bros sleek Hilborn injected SBC FED (filmed by James Nak)

upload_2020-9-7_4-14-0.png

One of the highlights for West Coast Drag Racers was a match race between the local favorite, TAPIA BROTHERS in their injected SBC FED against the #11 GREEN MONSTER.

Jnaki

NOTE 2:

The Tapia Bros. did beat the Art Afron’s Green Monster. It was called: "Bobby Slays the Green Monster." In 1959 in a highly publicized match race, Bobby Tapia in the Tapia Bros SBC race car called “Almost Grown,” beat Art Afrons in the big Green Monster #11.

upload_2020-9-7_4-15-57.png Tapia Bros Collection

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Did't this old White truck have an Olds/Pont rear end INSIDE the truck housing used as camouplage? Seems I saw that in a 60's article in Hot Rod or Car Craft Magazines.

14. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Here ya go @nochop

chryslerfan55, Spoggie and j hansen like this.
  15. khead47

khead47

I thought Jockos streamliner was originally going to use the giant Ford OHC Tank engine.

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks, man that thing seems well balanced

Speed Gems likes this.
  17. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

chryslerfan55, j hansen and RatPwrd like this.
  18. RatPwrd

RatPwrd
    1. 37-38 Chevys

WOW! it survived all intact after all these years?!?! does it still run? do they still show it at events?

19. From New Zealand,the late Bill Grant raced this with not a lot of success in 1968.May have done much better if we had reasonable tracks to race on. JW
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Spoggie like this.
  20. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I've heard that too. Not sure when he decided to go with the Allison or if it ever received the tank engine at all.

21. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Art from the beginning was always a little hesitant to get off the line. I remember the first time he got a little nerve and at the half way mark he got on it. Turned a higher top speed than Joe Martincic who won the race, did it in half the track. He could light up those tires at will I'm sure but the Monsters were about power

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  22. Paulz

Paulz

redirect-645.png
    The glory days of war surplus.
    How could you not?

23. This one was used in a hydroplane (boat that is) 22B002A1-7485-4A96-AEEE-C97C1D7709C3.jpeg

26 T Ford RPU likes this.