Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New Garage Build **FINAL UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, Jun 25, 2020.

1. kidcampbell71 and 37hotrod like this.
  2. Toolboxes are in the other garage.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you do the ceiling? I just built a new shop/garage, OSB board like yours and am going to put metal ceiling in. Was wondering if you did it yourself where you got the materials and if you left an access so you could blow in insulation?

chryslerfan55 and 37hotrod like this.
  4. Yes to all the ceiling questions. The ceiling is the same steel material as the exterior, just a different color. It is screwed directly to the roof trusses. There is an access hatch in the ceiling where they blew in the insulation.

kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Good job on the build.

6. The only thing since you put up lights is why you didn't go LED? I have them in my garage, found them on sale at Rural King cheaper than fluorescent. No humming of the lights and startup even when cold is a non issue plus much brighter than the fluorescent. Great garage and lineup parked in it.

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Butch M

Butch M

8. Ummm, because those are LEDs.

9. It's too clean.....get to work :)

Very nice shop. Enjoy it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. 1ton

1ton

Beautiful building. Car collection looks great. Got to say one thing though. If you are an organized person and your building is for storing cars, 24 feet deep is fine. If you are like me and have too much crap you'll need room for benches and whatever along the walls. Once those doors get closed for the winter it's going to get get tight. Make your buildings an absolute minimum of 30 feet deep. I should say 40 feet but we all have limitations.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Well, the plan was to use this building just for vehicle storage. Things are evolving, so we will see how long this plan holds up.

12. 1ton

1ton

And you get to live in Wisconsin. All of us Fibs want to be there. I'm currently looking at some land near you. It's part of my exit Illinois plan.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope your plan works better than my exit California plan. Can't afford the divorce that would go along with the move.:(

14. I thought all of you fibs were already here. Accidentally drove through the Dells last week. Didn’t see anything BUT Illinois plates.

15. 1ton

1ton

I'll have Wisconsin plates on my hot rods soon enough. Don't drink all the beer before I get there.

16. Don’t worry...we’ll make more.

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Great! They did not look like them in the picture. Thank you for calling that out.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  18. lake_harley

lake_harley

I give up....What's a fibs?

Never mind...I looked it up. We have those too, encroaching into Southeast Missouri. If we just took out 2 or 3 bridges that cross the Mississippi River..... :D

Lynn

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  19. Awesome build - your back-wall decorations include US-50, which ran through my hometown of Kansas City, and Loop 202, which runs around in the southwest part of my current digs, Phoenix, how'd you steal those? :) - wish I had the opportunity to be somewhere where I could build something like that.

Sorry if I missed it, how's the Overland RPU coming along?

20. @nitrobrother Thanks for the kind words. The US 50 sign (and the Maryland 300) came from a surplus auction. The AZ loop 202 sign was “found” by my brother in law...I didn’t ask any more questions! :). I grew up in Tempe, but left before the 202 was even a thing.

The RPU project has been on the back burner for too long. I thought about selling it, but after taking a hard look at it...I fell in love with it all over again. So, it’s back on again! Hopefully going to get started on it this spring when it warms up.

nitrobrother likes this.
  21. FB96F6FA-2A2A-49F2-9675-A59648EF25E4.jpeg 9297DE8C-E935-460F-A1AC-4BCED447F63D.jpeg E28DA413-C245-465A-B86C-7C59FB0B0234.jpeg

Hey @1ton , just wanted to address your concerns. I did increase the size of the garage from 20 feet to 23 feet, just so that I could fit the 21 foot car trailer inside for the winter. Shocked myself last weekend by backing it into the garage in one shot...without damaging anything! Also tucked a 4x8 foot workbench into the other corner, and still haven’t filled up that corner. You can also see the progress that has been made on hanging up the license plates on the end wall. Still have a few more to go to finish up.

22. ...nice garage, I'd of made it 6-8 feet deeper myself, room for 2-3 more project cars or work room......how are you mounting all those licence plates,?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  23. @rusty1 The building is already 23x70. I had to stop somewhere! Besides, I have another barn to store projects in and the old garage for tools and working on cars space. This was built as a nice clean space for the finished cars.

Those plates are all being held up with nails. The ones I’m using have a head that is smaller than the holes in the plates. They are secure, but a little wiggling and they’ll come off the wall.

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Nice ! Enjoy !

25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Beautiful garage and property looks awesome as well . Love the Mercury and looks like Wallys old one..

37hotrod likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oil dripping is not the cars fault... it is merely the oil trying to find its way back home... great lookin garage man....

27. 1ton

1ton

Yes, that building is awesome and would make any hot rodder feel right at home. You are lucky or just plain smart to have a "clean" area as you put it. Another building to store your stuff and this new one to hang out in. Should be on the cover of Good Housekeeping magazine. I, on the other hand, have all my stuff in one basket. Car frames and body parts hanging from the rafters. Shelves piled high with precious automotive keepsakes. Tools and equipment arraigned as best I can just to allow open floor space to work in. Next time you're sittin at the bar and some guy from Illinois buys you a beer, just say thank you and welcome to Wisconsin.

Algoma56 and 37hotrod like this.
  28. .

That’s because it is Wally’s Merc! It moved a little north a couple of years ago.

29. I will take that as high praise coming from you! I may not have cars parked in my living room, but.....

Moriarity likes this.