Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953/54 Chevy gravel guards

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 54FISH, Sep 2, 2020.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a heads up . For the 1953/54 Chevy car guys , if you need to replace your gravel guards and do not like REPOP crap ( like me ) .Beware of getting restored guards from eBay or other places selling restored pieces. I received a set t from eBay looked great , great mirror finish , but when tried to install them , they stick out from car ( bad enough ,fasteners not pulling in ) . Matched to old set & found the curve of the thing was 1/4"+ out . Took to metal / chrome shop ( reputable ) , told me they were worked so much that they could not be reformed to fit like old set or flattened to set tight on body . So test fit as soon as you get restored or REPOP & don't let sit in box like me ( can't return now , out $300+) so if return is needed your not SOL .

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep...did the same thing with a pair of repro. '36 Ford grille trim pieces from Epay. Looked at them and they looked real nice, but didn't need them right away so I put them back in the box. Finally went to use them and they fit like shit, but waited too long to be able to send them back. Idiot me:(

3. little red 50

little red 50

I had a similar thing happen to me it was stainless fender trim for my 54. It didn't have the correct curve at the front and stuck out about 1\4 inch. I got it from the Truck and Car shop in California. No refund! I was only out about 80 dollars, eight years ago still get pissed when I think about it. I couldn't imagine being out 300 dollars.

4. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for hits ! Yeah I'll be out more than that if I get these fixed , if I have to buy REPOP or chrome the old guards . FN blows but ,that's why I posted . I'm starting to throw all the parts in boxes I can at it now see what's right & wrong . Had wrong felts from NCA , But they were cool & sent me correct pieces . Probly would piss $$ away somewhere else .Aaaa well
    , Live & Learn !!

5. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ended up with Speedway gravel guards , must say they fit damn nice !!