Register now to get rid of these ads!

History cool as hell, history of shaved door handles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Sep 1, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

if this has been posted before I apologize but i came across this and found it cool as hell.

So hopefully some of you guys will find it worth the read!!

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-history/shaved-door-handles/#.X076OO-SnIU

BTW the ayala custom merc towards the bottom of the page must be the ultimate example of everything ever done right to that body style. if I were Bill Gates that car would be my ride...

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Bump for the morning crowd

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Cool article for sure. Shall we share some shaved door pics? I've got a fob to pop um, and there's a button in the gas fill as well.
    20200825_183148.jpg

OG lil E, 31hotrodguy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

For over 30 years on Dad`s Vicky, we just left the wing window unlocked and opened the doors that way. To many horror stories of solenoids not working and getting stuck and cars interior`s filling with smoke.

OG lil E likes this.

5. I have had 2 hot rods that I thought removing the door handles would enhance the visual overall look of the rides, one was a model A but instead of solenoids I had a button under the visor and a improvised power window on the drives side, it worked well until the battery died.

The next time I used a remote button to roll the window up & down in my 39 Ford convertible, I had driven the car to work and a customer came in the shop and ask me if the old car in the parking lot was mine? yes it is and they said there is smoke coming out of the door, the remote had shorted out and was in the process of burning up.

From that day on I realized hot rods need power windows or door latches, give me a door handle and a window crank any day. HRP

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

My dad had the button on the inside of the drivers front fender well on his 53 stude.

He also had a small positive terminal on the bottom of the rocker that way in case of a dead battery he could take the positive jumper cable and touch it and pop the door open.

210superair and DIYGUY like this.
  7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I have terminals in the grille as well, just in case. However, the windows have never been rolled up, lol, so ain't gotta worry about that too much.

8. japchris

japchris
    from England

I also leave my windows down and reach in, but I also have hidden solenoid buttons with a separate isolator switch, and a manual cable just in case!
    They are not good in crash situations, but my Merc already had the handles removed when I got it - done many many years ago.
    Redhill.jpg

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

[​IMG]
    On my Wildcat I left all the door mechanism intact but made a bracket that connected to rods. Then used brake springs in the door jams to bump the door open. An ignition switch in the back of the car opened either the driver door or both doors. Never had a problem but parking in a hill could be fun. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

210superair and OG lil E like this.
  10. In 58 when the shaved the handles off Taboo, they used 49/50 Ford Starter buttons as poppers for the solenoids. They mounted them right in the middle of the corner trim of the car. Was an odd spot originally, but now its a good spot with the suicide doors. We do have cable pulls as emergency backups in case of a dead battery.

168952_199095316770897_429001_n.jpg

210superair, OG lil E and 31hotrodguy like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I pissed of the NCRS guys and shaved the handles on my corvette

98ABE584-1B43-42C8-BB25-1384F42492B4.jpeg 4B20CB30-974D-4717-BFDF-4E016C140A36.jpeg

210superair, DIYGUY, OG lil E and 4 others like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Any time you can piss off the NCRS guys is a good day.:p

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

How the hell did you lead the holes up on those fiberglass doors ??! :D

OG lil E and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

really low heat on the torch

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time you post that big, long shiny black Chrysler, I like it even more.

-Abone.

Gotgas and 210superair like this.
  17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah, that's a beauty. Reminds me of Johnny Cash.

I always wanted me one that was looking and black....

31hotrodguy likes this.