Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with headlight mounting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dmdeaton, Sep 1, 2020.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I mounted my headlights on top of the shocks with a cut down model A bar across the model A grill shell when I first built this. Now that I swapped out to a 32 grill shell and lost the cross bar. The headlights have tons of vibration and look like crap. I am going back to the larger A headlights and cannot see a good way to mount these separate.
    Are my shocks too long? I cannot figure out what’s different. You guys do this all the time and I am stumped. My thought are to fabricate my own stands a little taller.
    6D866084-1099-4437-B219-FD05F30E5960.jpeg B5EDB019-41CC-4BB8-B37C-ADDC5B481450.jpeg E2B490BC-A654-4FC6-AEAA-157A52092A81.jpeg

2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I like those

3. clem

clem

Obviously....... were they always like this ? If so how did they work? if not what have you changed?
    Sorry, but I can’t follow the rest of your post. Do you have a before picture ? Or is it the bottom picture ?

4. Little Terry

Little Terry

Why dont you use the stainless stands you have, but cut the base and rotate the stands 90 degrees to point frowards.

5. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

The shocks in the pics have been on the build from the beginning. No problems with the shocks at all, the reason for asking if they are too tall is to clear the headlights if I separate the brackets. I may need to go to shorter shocks.

Terry, I think they will still be too short and hit the shock tops. I thought about making new ones from scratch and buying the cups to weld up, but I think they will be too high. I ordered a set of weld on combination brackets and I think they may work better. My cheapo angle iron brackets I milled out are bolted against the rubber on the shock top and vibrate like a rubber band..

6. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

7. Little Terry

Little Terry

I would shorten the upper shock mount and fit the light stands like I mentioned in my last post. That way you reduce the vibration on the shocks and separate the lights. That setup is pretty much what I am putting on my car, but I plan to run the headlight bar accross the front of my rad.

8. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have a headlight bar hanging somewhere now that you mention it. I will dig it out tonight and see where that gets me. I will need shorter shocks for sure.

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

I think you have the stainless one in the second picture on the wrong side of the car. ?

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_6488.JPG Heat up the headlight bracket and bend it 90 * , cut it long enough to clear the top end of the shock , then weld it on top of the bend of the shock mount . just a suggestion.

dmdeaton likes this.
  11. low down A

low down A

are you just guessing on the shocks you need? the correct way to determine your shock is to have the mount's you are going to use, and you pull the shock all the way out, end of travel then push shock allthe way in, bottom of travel. that distance divided in half is where shock mount's go. go with the crossbar no matter what mount you use just look's right

dmdeaton likes this.
  12. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Yes, I tried both ways

13. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

yes, I just bought the Pete and Jake shocks and bent the F1 brackets. They favor the top of travel and not the middle with these brackets. I know the brackets could be shorter. I am new at all this so that is why I ask.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Okie Pete likes this.
  14. ydopen

ydopen

I used short P&J shocks. I shortened an F1 bracket and welded on a the end of a Model A light bar.
    No vibration driving. 5978C269-9803-4038-AA31-D925DDC454F5.jpeg

dmdeaton and low down A like this.
  15. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

With the rubber bushing on the shock top the headlight mount is never really bolted tight. Come off the metal shock mount with something welded solid. Or cut the stainless headlight mount to do what you need. Good luck, I love trying to figure out what looks good and what works right. Gary

16. low down A

low down A

give those uncovered street rod shock's you have to a streetrodder and get the correct covered shock's that look right on a early 4cyl hotrod as your's is.

dmdeaton likes this.
  17. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

that is the ticket, I like this. Now how to shorten the F1 brackets. Cut a good miter joint for the weld? Or something like a dovetail? I will sub this weld to someone other than me. :(

low down A likes this.
  18. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I ordered a set. :)

low down A likes this.
  19. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Thanks so far guys, not dead set but have a plan. Love this forum

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

61DE6C95-D94F-476E-B45C-F26E232FE5A8.jpeg 366D80E9-EBC1-4A11-8D6C-01065EEE78E8.jpeg 1A1F64E8-A90E-4A7D-91C5-C51AD15E25A5.jpeg bar Is temporary until I get my shocks and modify the F1 stands. Which headlights?

21. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I want to pop the rivets, clean up the plate and replace the bolt. Standard carriage bolts work?
    C9F0F746-D875-4789-A128-4A444F881409.jpeg

22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I did a set of Guide headlights recently, ground the rivets down and knocked them out. The mounting bolts were in bad shape. Used replacement stainless screws that have a rounded head with no slot which I found for Model A headlight restoration in the Snyder’s catalog. Also used new mounting bolts for the same. These photos on my thread 31a pickup build a a 31 coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here’s the photos, I’ve since blasted and epoxy primer them.

coupe33 and dmdeaton like this.
  24. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I think they are the same length Snyder’s sells. And my model A headlights are fine.

25. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I haven't had time, but want to modify a pair of model A rumble hinges to make a pair of headlight stands...
    mount the outer screw hole tabs [4 per side] to the frame siderails…
    heat red and bend the inner screw hole tabs [2 per side] to sit flat on top of the frame... making it a 90* mount.
    weld a model A style H/L mounting cup [from a plow truck] on top of the pivot hole...
    while still red hot bend the cup flat to the axle, but you must tilt the cups forward or model A lights won't adjust down enough…
    they should mount rigid and not vibrate as bad as some A conversions... front shock mounts ? rumbler 1.jpg

woodsnwater likes this.
  26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The bolt lengths are perfect, I’m using a cut down 32 headlight bar.

dmdeaton likes this.
  27. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Tilt the cups forward for sure. As for shocks, I have not firmly decided yet. Mine have been on since I got it on the road, only 2 seasons with not much driving. It rides like a stiff haywagon. I only ride around local country roads mostly and dont go far. For a banger hotrod the local guys tell me to lose the shocks. I took them off and will drive it this weekend to see the difference. If all goes well, I will concentrate on just the light mounts.

28. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

my brother and a I had a former auto shop teacher that said ; never buy heavy duty shocks for an old beater... the almost dead shocks are what you need...
    we joked it was straight from the horse's mouth...
    with 20 years time it morphed into straight from the horse's arse…
    I never buy heavy duty for a streetrod !