Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba passenger pump mount ideas please

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Little Terry, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Hi everyone.

I have an 8ba with passenger car pumps going into a model A frame. The frame was built for a motor with truck pumps, but i would like to use what i have............ i would love to see some pictures of the ways you have adapted the passenger pumps to mount up to the frame. I can't think of a nice way to do it without ending up looking like I have just put a bend in some flat steel. I have narrow belt pulleys and a pair of the donut style rubbers....
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Mark

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want narrow belt pulleys and the biscuit mounts you have you can try to find a set of Merc OCM pumps. They look like truck pumps but the mounting pads are a different height and need a U shaped spacer. This means the outlet will be lower which might be an issue for your situation. OCM pumps
    are not repopped so they are hard to come by. I'm running a set on the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Engine 3.jpg Engine 4.jpg IMG_3956.JPG Pump 1.jpg rad 5.jpg

3. dwollam

dwollam

Terry, I can't get a picture of the 8ba pumps in my '40 Ford but they are narrow belt car pumps with adapters sorta kinda like yours with bracing. They appear to have been aftermarket factory made and have been in use for many many years.

Dave

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. I would think that a couple of 1/8" plates back and front and those will work fine.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. clem

clem

sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.....

Often for a situation where a piece of flat steel will suffice, I would start with a thicker heavier piece and curve the places where the strength requirement is less, and round the edges so it looks more like a cast piece from 90 years ago.

others like to make up brackets and drill holes in them to make then look good, - may not suit your style of car.

Use what you have and maybe a gusset to the pieces in your first photo ?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  6. clem

clem

1/8” seems light to me, - I would use 5 - 6mm (6mm just under 1/4”).

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going to brace only one side, your probably right. Doing both sides doesn't require a lot.

clem likes this.
  8. millersgarage

millersgarage

i made a simple bracket out of flat steel.
    I do not have photos, but a piece bent to match the angle and an angle piece for strength on one edge.

Really rough drawing, but hopefully you get the idea

upload_2020-8-29_10-5-20.png

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yes, Here's the simplest....
    8RT truck pumps
    Wide belt crank pulley
    8RT or 1949 passenger fan
    wide belt generator/alternator pulley

I went through this with the F1. I never was happy with either a strap mount ideas or some kind of crossmember.

What I could not get past was the fact that all I had to do was get new pumps, pulleys and a fan. After doing that, the engine would be mounted correctly, like the factory. Anything I did would have been a "jerry rig", especially since the parts are available to do it right.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    clem and ted kovacs like this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Little Terry,

Suggest you first install a mock up of your radiator with hoses so you can
    make sure your radiator, radiator hoses and fan clear and are fan is positioned for max air flow.
    Then built your mounts to fit.

Little Terry likes this.
  11. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks folks. There is some good advice here for me to consider before making my next move.
    LT

12. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Truck pumps and a piece of 1/4 X 3" angle iron makes a simple and strong mount. Two 1/2 inch holes to bolt though the side of the frame and One bigger hole for the mount pad and bolt. Easy.

13. nobby

nobby

buy truck pumps and swap the pulleys over
    note, find out if the 8ba with the later non crab distributor makes the engine longer than a 59A with a crab dizzy
    as in an 'A' it maybe too tight

ted kovacs likes this.
  14. clem

clem

he already has mounts in place for truck pumps, (see first picture), he just doesn’t want to go down this route, (because he has 8ba pumps), even though it is the easiest and simplest.......

15. clem

clem

Done plenty of times.
    I don’t know what modifications are required, such as recessed firewall, moved crossmembers etc, if any.

16. Little Terry

Little Terry

I can see that swapping the pumps and pulleys is the easiest, but it is no way the cheapest! I am just trying to work with what i have in front of me. Being in the UK makes it a bit harder to find parts at a good price, too.

17. clem

clem

^^^^^ Yes, that was what I had figured out, just trying to bring it to the attention of others that seemed to have missed it.

Little Terry likes this.
  18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Terry,
    I sold the F1. I'm never going to build a early flathead car. My hands are full with my '51 and I have a '64 Fairlane right behind it. If ever do, I can get the stuff better than you can. I have all of it. I'm tripping over it. It's yours if you want it. Maybe we can work something out about the shipping. PM me.
    This is what I have...
    Two new 8BA Pumps with gaskets from Van Pelt.
    A new Crank Pulley from Van Pelt.
    A new generator/alt pulley from Van Pelt.
    A used 1949 Ford car fan assembly 8BA wide belt, this should be compatible with the 8RT stuff.

Send me your address and I'll check the shipping at the post office. If it's doable I'll shoot it to you.
    Maybe you can send me something from England...
    I don't know, maybe something like a German bomb (defused of course), a propeller from a Heinkel 111 or Messerschmitt, a red coat, a big bowled Munchausen pipe, a Norman Helmet, a Viking sword, a big fuzzy bearskin hat, some Dover Chalk and maybe a brick from a castle. Nothing major, just something that's laying around.:D ;)
    No joke, send me a PM if you want this stuff.

waxhead, 210superair and Little Terry like this.
  19. redoxide

redoxide

Hi Terry, Achieving it with the slightly raised chassis patforms might be a bit more difficult considering the angles involved , so lowering the chassis mount might be the first step . thenthe bent plate option dressed up with a skirt .. per picture of mine .. The biscuit mount sits inside ..

DSCF6117.JPG DSCF6197.JPG DSCF6207.JPG

Little Terry likes this.
  20. Little Terry

Little Terry

You have a PM, F-One!

21. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks Ian, i'm just finishing up the front shock mounts and when i get it back on it's wheels i was going to cut the mounts off the frame for a start, then get the motor levelled up and see where i go from there. Ideally if i can find a set of truck pumps as well, i can offer up both options and work out which will suit best.

22. redoxide

redoxide

its just as well I dont work in the computer graphics industry ..

Inked3-D54-E3-A4-C494-4-E80-95-DE-FFDAB22741-A5_LI.jpg

Little Terry likes this.
  23. nobby

nobby

24. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Terry, there is a very strong likelyhood you're current pumps will need to be rebuilt or replaced at some point, usually when you are about ready for the maiden voyage and they leak. I'd seriously consider biting the bullet now, set it up for non 8BA, i.e. biscuit mount style pumps and run the pulleys to suit. Peace of mind.
    Dougie

Little Terry likes this.