Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No it's not !!!! Wrong ! Cmon ! A what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best one ever?
    Three or four kids playing in the front yard. As I slowly drove by in my 1951 Buick Roadmaster, they were JUMPING up and down yelling, LOOK AT THE COOL OLD CAAAARRRRR!!! I waved and beeped the horn. Sure put a smile on my face.

Edit: rephrase that...
    I waved and HONKED the horn.
    Roadmasters don't "beep".
    LOL

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    WC145, ratrodrodder, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I drive my coupe, it reminds a lot of people about old circle track cars someone in their family or group of friends or their families used to race. That always makes my day, because that was the exact reason I built the car.

Though I built my car about 9 years ago from the remains of a 48 Plymouth, I get a lot of people that think maybe my car may have been the car someone they knew used to race. I tell them it may be possible since I bought my car from out of a field a hundred miles away, but its probably not their friends old car, and most are OK with that answer.

When the car was still blue and white, we were at the other end of Iowa and stopped at a Walmart store. From across the parking lot a big old boy came towards us from across the parking lot in what could be described as a trot. When he finally reached us, out of breath, he wanted to know where we found Hal's old race car. I gave him my standard answer, but he was pretty insistent it was Hal's old car. Hal's car was a 48 Plymouth too, and it was blue and white, painted just like our car was, and it was even the same number. I again repeated my story line, and he seemed to accept it. My only regret was I wished I would have asked more questions about Hal.

So I did some needed body work and painted the car red and cream over this last winter, then had my buddy Mark hand paint the number.

We were driving through our home town Friday afternoon, and some guy was yelling at us from his car. He told us he knew for a fact our car used to be his dad's old race car and he wanted it back! He said we stole it from his dad in Minnesota about 10 years ago, and he was going to get it back from us. The wording he was using wasn't friendly! Fortunately, we were in a left turn lane, and we got the green arrow and left him sitting at his red light. I wonder if he would think its his dad's car if he saw the pictures of it 10 or 11 years ago?

The picture in my avatar is our coupe when it was blue and white on the road through the Rocky Mountain National Park in May 2016. I'm also posting a picture of the car now, and one of what it looked like 10 or 11 years ago. Gene

Attached Files:

3. Back in the 80's while driving my 37 Willys i was asked often ''is it a Ford or a Chev''. I stopped saying its a Willys as it was too hard trying to explain and then being asked ''what?.. a Willy...whats a Willy''. I started saying if you don't know you won't understand. JW
    [​IMG]

WC145, mgtstumpy, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I manage almost everything here on Judy's farm. The "furnace" guy stopped by the other day. He does not deserve the title. Judy wasn't here, I was. Judging from what comes out of the guy's mouth and his installation of the furnace years ago, he's an absolute moron... no question.

He comes in the garage and sees the 440 engine on the stand.
    "Is that a 350?"
    Before I could answer, he quickly added...
    "Is that a BOWTIE?"
    "Nope."
    Then his feeble consciousness focused on the blue paint.
    "Oh... that's a Ford engine."
    "Nope... guess again."
    A few seconds of silence. He was drawing a blank. I finally told him that it's a Chrysler 440. No response from him. LOL

He walks over to dual quad tunnel ram on the shelf.
    "Blah blah blah... that'll sure be a gas guzzler!"

He wasn't done LOL.

He walked over to my 53 Chrysler just outside the garage.
    Rather than just ask what it is, he starts peering closely at the body tag on the firewall. I'm in the garage, enlarging a hole a little bit with a small rat tail file. He starts rubbing on the body tag with the palm of his hand.

The thought suddenly occurred to me... "This pointy file in my hand could really hurt somebody..."
    Oops, I need to remember our shop safety discussions. LOL

WC145, alanp561 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Thread police always crack me up. A few on every forum...

So this isn't a 'aggrivated me' story, but just last night I was over at my folks place with the shoebox. They live on a peninsula, so dead end street. A younger couple drives down and the dude started driving real slow and staring at the car the whole way. On the way back by he's still eye fuggin it and starts to slow down like he's going to stop and talk to me about it, and with their windows down we could hear the young lady say "don't you dare stop. You're not getting a car like that...", and their tail lights darkened and he drove on while my folks and I laughed.

WC145, Just Gary, F-ONE and 1 other person like this.
  6. pwmcx95

pwmcx95
    from East TN

Good one!!

rudestude, alanp561 and 210superair like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaha... poor guy... LOL.

USED TO HAVE a girlfriend who informed me that I was "ALLOWED" to have only one old car at a time. LOL!!!

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I try not to judge. They're uninformed, but interested, which is a good thing I suppose.

I was raised on inland lake boats, and was tuning up our sbf in our ski boat by the time I was 8 years old. I was a mechanic at a Nautique dealer thru college, and during the summers when I was a teacher, so around ten years. There's not much I don't know about these type of boats. A neighbor asked me a question about his boat once and I said something about 'how could he ask such a stupid question', and my wife said:

"You know a lot about boats, but you take for granted everyone knows what you know, and they don't. You should be more patient and try to expand their knowledge instead of knocking them.".

That hit me like a brick to the head, and since then, whenever I can help someone I do, and try my best to pass along whatever I can to help them expand their mechanical aptitude. Sometimes we forget not everyone knows what we know, but they think it's really cool that we're those kind of people, and they just want to rub elbows a bit.

WC145, PhilA, clem and 23 others like this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never think less of anybody for not knowing something. And they can rub elbows all they want. I welcome it. But if they're disrespectful, pretend to know what they don't and can't keep their hands off stuff, I lose all patience and any desire to help someone expand their mechanical aptitude LOL.

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

oh yeah, rude people are rude people, and I've run into plenty of that too, lol. One of my old neighbors was trying to tune his sea doo twin carb once. I offered to help, he refused and said he had it under control. He wasn't checking plugs or anything and was tuning it to what he thought was running good. I gave him one last plea for letting me help and he said rudely 'no, it's running great' with a kind of sneer at me. I just sat in my lawn chair by the lake drinking my beer. Two laps around the bay and POP. I said 'sounds like maybe she was a little lean!'. Lol, I'm not sure he spoke to me again before I moved, but yeah, he blew the motor.

Where you at in the mitten sir?

WC145 and alanp561 like this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, @210superair ...
    A fellow Michiganderer.
    We're in the middle of the thumb. North of I-69 a few miles, about halfway between flint and Port Huron. Near Yale, Michigan. Cows, corn, soy beans, small towns. Nobody can find us. You can't get here from there. LOL
    I see you. Brooklyn. Southwest of Detroit and Ann Arbor.

210superair likes this.
  12. 4speed411

4speed411

They all ask about my Air-Ride....the tank is my fuel cell venting system IMG_20200404_132058.jpg

WC145, clem and 210superair like this.
  13. clem

clem

If you are referring to @HOTRODPRIMER, and once you have been here a little while, you will realise that the member is trying to be helpful, not trying to be a policeman.
    Nothing but a genuine person.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  14. jroberts

jroberts

He must have never seen a Studebaker other than a '65 and '66. Those two years Studebakers did use GM engines, but I doubt the folks you are talking about knew that those two years were built only in Canada. After that there were no more.....

15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Sounds like you blew that chance for a date!
    :rolleyes:

alanp561 likes this.
  16. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Amongst the cars I own I have a OT tube frame sand rail. Had a guy ask if it was legal to drive a dragster on the road. Maybe he thought 60 horsepower could go 200 mph.

I was at a car show a couple years ago and while I was looking at a highly modified drag car with a full roll cage. A guy maybe in his 30’s walked up with maybe a 10 year old boy. The boy asked his dad “what are all those bars in there for” the father says “those bars are in there so if the driver crashes he doesn’t get killed only hurt real bad” I thought it was rather a weird answer seeing as he could just as easily said it was there to protect the driver in an accident or roll over.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  17. Country Joe

Country Joe

Most people aren't knowledgeable about these old cars. The most odd statement I heard about my red 48 chevy coupe was someone called it the ZZ Top car. :confused:

18. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

I like those Volvos, always wanted one. Haven't seen any for years.

48fordnut and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  19. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Worst I ever had is the ever popular "Nice ratrod!". Almost as bad a someone looking at a picture of your car, and then tell you it's not your car. When you were there when the pictures were taken lol. As they say in my line of work, You can't fix stupid, but you can charge for it!

20. I get a lot in their 30's tell me ''they like Rat Rods like this''.........they usually don't talk to me again. JW
    [​IMG]

WC145 and Sonofabob like this.
  21. Is that a 32 Ford? No, it's a 23 Dodge.

WC145 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. trollst

trollst

Two months ago some chinese kids waved me over while I was in my 36, wanted to know which dealer they could buy a truck like mine. I took it as a compliment. DSC07754.JPG

WC145, fordflambe, ffr1222k and 5 others like this.
  23. jroberts

jroberts

Yes indeed....a compliment that is well deserved,

trollst likes this.
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

At a show in North Dakota with my 32 sedan . Guy comes up to the passenger window and looks in, he turns around and says to his young son look this one has a two speed rear axle as he’s pointing to my gennie shifter parking brake handle next to the swan neck shifter. Hahaha North Dakotans!!!!!!

clem and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  25. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

A bit off topic but if you run any AMC stuff you'll get some good ones too.

26. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

I was driving down the road in my 34 Ford 5W Coupe and a guy pulls up at the light and hollers at me "what year is that Model A?"...

27. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i never will understand why they try to tell you what it is. it just makes them sound dumb. it would be better if they just asked you what it is. then they can say how nice it is. i drive a street gasser henry j. try explaining what it is at a stop light. it's a Kaiser. what is that? i finaly started telling them, you ever heard of Kaiser Permanente. yea, i didn't know they made cars. it never stops.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    clem likes this.
  28. goldmountain

goldmountain

Years ago, my friend with a newly built '34 Ford three window told me that someone came up to his car and said, " nice Chrysler". But to be fair to this guy, another friend had just finished building a nice '33 Chrysler three window.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. LAROKE

LAROKE

At one show, a stranger was trying to tell me my '55 1st Series Chevy pickup was a '59 Apache. After a couple of minutes, I pointed him at another truck in the show and said "That guy thinks he has a '59 Apache. You better go down there and set him straight."

30. jroberts

jroberts

People just want to believe what they heard sometime, some where. My 61 Studebaker Champ pickup has an R1 Studebaker V8 it is a 289. You can see it coming can't you. I get folks telling me time and time again that the engine is a Ford engine. Well, its not but some will argue with me till either I or the cows come in. I have had the truck all kinds of things. One guy told me that he didn't know Rambler made pickups. My 65 Studebaker Cruiser is V8 car. The original engine is still in the car, though it has been modified some. People call it all kinds of things Rambler, Valiant, Mercedes, Nash and on and on. The engine really confuses them also at time brings up an argument. The '65 and '66 Studebakers were made only in Canada. Since Studebaker had shut down their foundries Studebaker of Canada got engines from GM of Canada. Mine is a GM 283.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.