Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I liked it with the 2 wheeler roll bar. :D

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang, Thor1 and saltflats like this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

I would suspect you will want one of those fans blowing on your feet next summer.

loudbang, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am not going back and count, but I would swear close to half where about STICKERS!!;);););) lol Larry

swade41, j hansen, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

And where to put them :D

swade41, j hansen, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So we have a couple of big car shows coming up and we have started working on the display. You know old school World of Wheels stuff. I mean to a certain extent anyway. No angel hair fake smoke on the tires or anything (lol) but it is a pretty cool car and we want the booth to be cool as well.

To begin with we have enough Swiss Tracks Floor tiles to layout on the floor space. Zoe and I counted all of them last night.

Resized_20200901_075147.jpeg
    These are 16" squares. After we did inventory we have both silver and gray and enough to do a 17'x17' space which is perfect as the car show supplied areas are 20x20. We even played around with the design and have just enough to do a solid outside run in dark gray and then fill the inside area with a silver and gray checkered layout.

We have the sign that I showed earlier in the thread about the SNAKE PIT. We are going to choose a corner for it and drop the M&H Slicks beside it and maybe a few hand tools etc.

Then we have a drag race christmas tree for another corner. The third corner gets a custom stand where kids can take a hero card and or decal (as seen earlier). AND that leaves just one little lonely corner of the display needing something Cobra-esk and Cool! Last night, Dad came up with it!

He showed me this small wooden barrel, about 30" tall and not very wide etc. He said maybe we could paint DANGER, Baby Cobras on it and maybe find a few Cobra hot wheels to put inside. He thought maybe a couple glued to the sides like they were crawling out and an couple in the bottom. Maybe even one on the bottom of the lid. LMAO.

Well look what I found this morning on EBAY. TWENTY TWO (22) Baby Cobras!
    BabyCobras.jpg

Sancho, Thor1, Peanut 1959 and 3 others like this.
  7. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

Now you have 22 baby cobras to paint to match yours

Sancho, Thor1, Peanut 1959 and 3 others like this.
  8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Maybe paint the big Cobra to match the little ones? NOT!!!!!! lol

Thor1, Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I just noticed the picture of James and Jackson with the Cobra , now is it just me or do those two have PASSIONET looks of DESIRE!!! on their faces ? lol

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I have these on my cobra to blow cool air from the brake cooling scoops in to the foot box.
    With the headers so close to your feet and no air flow down by the pedals it gets pretty hot down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thor1, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got tired of looking for a full sized snake bite kit to toss in the trunk for giggles. So I just made me a new decal for the first aid kit I carry anyway...lol

20200901_170826.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, Thor1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the foot wells did not get hot. I know Cobras are notorious for it and understandably so. However we started thinking about this a long time ago. First off our headers are not routed down and around them. Secondly we wrapped the headers with titanium wrap. Then our firewalls in that area are not fiberglass. They are 3/8 aluminum and steel plate and on the inside under the carpet we have two layers of heat reflective material and then 3/8" Dynamat.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Sancho, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does not happen very often during the week but I was in the shop a bit tonight. I finished fitting the trunk carpet and installing the stitched leather binding. It looks pretty good. All we have left back there is cleaning the aluminum side panels and putting the tool box lid on the battery box and we are ready to go.

20200901_212639.jpeg

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's turned out awesome!
    Congratulations

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  16. Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I hate to say it but you need two more stickers on it on the front fenders below the Holman / Moody that say AA/COOL lol ;) Larry

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually this car's class would be A/SP.
    Don't forget. We are just an early 60s factory sports car. Lol

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    loudbang, Sancho and Thor1 like this.
  19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Don't care about 1964 nhra classes , I just know that back in 1964 when I was nine an A back in school was as good as it got ! But this little girl is DOUBLE A COOL!!! lol Larry

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I'm glad I was there for the first breath of life. :)
    Who is going the wear the snake charmer hat? :D

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jackson thinks he is going to charm it so I guess we need to get him a nice turban and a little horn. Lol

22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

"Actually this car's class would be A/SP."
    Hmmm... I'm thinking that ASP would look good n be kinda funny, too. Do the / as a thin cobra, maybe the coiled tail as an underlining effect for the ASP . :D .
    Marcus...

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Isn’t a asp what they call a pit viper, the same family as the cobra?
    Not up to date on my snake names.....

Deuced Up!, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  24. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

So would this be two asps or one with a lisp?

222_72238d89d41c6ad5134803430d17f0ae0d2b1cf0.jpg

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the blower motors came in this week so this morning I decided to see if we could get them installed and functional.

Resized_20200905_145632.jpeg
    Before we started I headed to Lowes. I spent some time in the shop vac area but after looking at all the attachments etc. found very few parts outside of the hose itself that would help us. The only additional pieces I snagged were two 90 degree attachments. In their original application they helped vacuum a larger area, in my application I figure they will assist in making the turn at the corner and fan the air out a bit as well.

Resized_20200905_152439.jpeg
    I finally ended up in the plumbing section and started formulating a plan. The biggest issue was getting the 3" fans attached to a 1.5" hoses. The most obvious was simply a PVC reducer. I took one and tested it on the hose. It fit like a glove so I snagged a couple of them headed out.

Resized_20200905_145707.jpeg
    When I got home of course the 3" side of the reducer was designed for 3" ID pipe which has more like 3.5" OD etc. The then walled fan outlet was obviously a bit small. So I took some rubber weather stripping and wrapped it.

Resized_20200905_145813 (1).jpeg
    After a couple of test fittings I found two full rounds made a near perfect gasket.

Resized_20200905_145955.jpeg
    After carefully working the reducer on the fan over the gasket (even though it was a very tight fit) I still drilled a couple of small holes and installed screws just to make sure it all stayed in place etc.

Resized_20200905_145842 (1).jpeg
    I duplicated the process with the second unit and then we were ready to decide where and how to mount them.

Resized_20200905_150029.jpeg
    I measured out the hose and cut it in half so I had 74" per side (more than enough). I layed on the floor for quite a while deciding exactly where to place them. We obviously wanted to make sure we were pulling clean fresh air etc. After finally deciding on both placement and how to mount them, I taped up the fan end and shot our new little blower systems black.

Resized_20200905_150128.jpeg
    While I was spraying them Dad took a 3" hole saw, some new black mesh screen we had laying around and roll of duck tape that just barely fit over the back edge (non tooth side LOL) and formed a couple of screens.

Resized_20200905_150156.jpeg
    With a zip tie, secured the screens in place and these little babies were ready to install.

Resized_20200905_115512.jpeg
    It is sort of hard to see the orientation but they are mounted near the sides of the radiator but angled down at about a 25 degree angle into the fresh air coming under the nose.

Resized_20200905_150315.jpeg
    We actually used the bracket I just fabricated a couple of weeks above for the horns on either side as the front mount point and pop riveted the rear. After they were both in place we ran and secured the tubing.

Resized_20200905_103418.jpeg
    As you can see our killer cool "special hardware" covers are in place and the 90 degree (angle not temperature LOL) attachment simple curves in around behind them. The air is spread across the devices and HOPEFULLY this will help them stay cool. At the very least, since these little blowers are embossed with TURBO 3000 I suppose I can say the car has twin turbos! RIGHT? LMAO!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sort of a game of dominos today as since I was going to mount the louvred covers of our special firewall mounted devices I needed to install the lower plate as well that also hides tons of little HAMB sins. LMAO.

Resized_20200905_191232.jpeg
    It is a custom piece of polymetal (an 1/8" rigid substrate that we use all the time for flat signs). It fits perfectly behind the engine and covers the harness etc. It also has hole where you can see the fuel pressure gauge. It was supposed to have (and will have again) a custom Holman Moody production or firewall tag on it but I damaged it today. For now I just dropped a round decal in its place.

Resized_20200905_191051.jpeg
    It is extremely clean back there now as I scrap piece of Dynamat in front of the rear cover. It simply runs under the cover and onto the rear of the intake. It it basically just held in place by throttle cable on one side and wire to the alternator on the other. But it hides all the individual injector control harness ends etc. I am telling you, if you didn't know they were there, you wouldn't know they were there...if you know what I mean.

Resized_20200905_191105.jpeg
    I have not attached it yet, but that is where the VIN tag goes on the car, I have to find some smaller rivets.

Resized_20200905_204122.jpeg
    I am extremely happy with the engine compartment, it is very clean.

27. loudbang

loudbang

Have you fired them up to see how LOUD they are yet? Some fans make a hell of a racket and vibrate quite a bit.

Deuced Up!, Nostrebor and Thor1 like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes we ran them. They make some noise but they are not bad at all. They were reported by the manufacturer to be 50% quieter than their competition. They are about the same level as the Derale radiator fan on high etc.

But to be honest, when this thing is running, even at idle, you could fire up up a JATO in there and not know it! Just the way a Cobra should sound right!? Lol

29. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randall,

Do you have any concerns that your cooling fans will pick up and pump dust onto all of the electrical items you are trying to keep cool? I saw the screens to keep debris out, but you may want some sort of filter to cut down on dust.

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No not really. The two boxes in question there are sealed units. In fact both were designed to simply be placed on an engine compartment firewall etc. Having a little fresh, cooler air rolling across them will be a plus, a little dusty or not.

We did not do a lot this weekend on the car, I made a knockout list of final little things that we need to get done to call it "complete"...or at least for now! LOL

1. Install the passenger side roof hold down strap and adjust both sides etc
    2. Install wrap around seat belts
    3. Two small final pieces of carpet on driver's side (around the wheel well tub area)
    4. Lexan rear window installed on the top
    5. Install some kind of insulation on the underside of battery box lid to avoid contact
    6. Mesh wire loom the front lights wiring harness
    7. Re-bleed the front brakes
    8. Driver's side only cowl area fire and weather seal
    9. Install the customized escutcheon rings on the roll bar through body areas (4)
    10. Figure out somewhere and or how to mount the rear view mirror
    11. Finish the exhaust system (which I have all the pieces but I am in no hurry to do)
    12. Install Doors, Hood and Trunk seals which I have the material for etc.
    13. Fabricate some kind of inner wheel well cover for tail lights, they are simply exposed in there
    14. Mount the Cold Fire Extinguisher
    15. Install Roll cage padding in a few choice spots
    16. Install a one way valve on my fuel cell vent tube

We did mange knock to the first one off the list this weekend and the roof is down and ready to roll. I also modified the hooks on the end of the hold down straps so they are sort of a quick release. Very easy to drop the tension levers and unhook allowing the roof to flip up and open.

I am fairly excited about the knock out list at this point. None of them are more than a few minutes worth of work and now there are only 15. I can remember several lists that I simply gave up writing things down after 100 entry. LMAO!