Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some help from the painters out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Aug 31, 2020.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

During my annual waxing, I found I had 2 bad spots in the paint on my C2 Corvette. One in the left front from a minor parking lot incident, and another, smaller one one the right rear quarter. The car was painted with basecoat/clearcoat about 12 years ago. I purchased the matching basecoat/clearcoat in spray cans and proceeded to attempt to fix the problems. I first did the front, and after a false start or two, it came out quite well, if I do say so myself. The paint match was amazingly good, and after I sanded out a run or two in the clear, I was complete satisfied with the results. Now for the small flaw in the rear. After prepping the area, I tried to put down the first coat of basecoat. It seemed to react with what was on the car. The spot ended up being about 1/2" X 1" after I got everything smoothed out. It kind of "bubbled up" around the prepared spot. I did it twice, being careful to clean everything, but it did it the second time too. I think I need something to seal the area before I put on the basecoat.

I had absolutely no trouble with this in the front; all I can think of is that the defect in the back is deeper and got down to some layer of something that I didn't hit in the front. I am attaching a crappy cell phone picture of the area, so you can see what's happening. Anyone out there got any ideas about what's going on here? Is there some product that will seal this and stop the conflict in materials? (Preferably in a spray can.) Any help will be appreciated. 0831201715.jpg

2. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Use a waterbase sealer.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you know of a specific product or brand?

4. If you get the "ring" cut back down, go extremely light with your basecoat. Basecoat is aggressive, clearcoat isn't. Think about it this way, if the product uses an activator or hardener, it's non aggressive. Basecoat will eat enamel or clear, especially in an area where you've broken through it with sandpaper. But sometimes you can go light, dry "ish" coats and keep it from lifting, then you'll be good to go with the clear.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd sand it back smooth. hit the repair area with a dab of primer/sealer then go with color.
    the base is attacking something in the older layers. Had that happen to myself many times

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"L P & G", I'll try your method first, it would seem to be the best way (if it works). If it doesn't, I'll try to find some primer/sealer. Still waiting for recommendations.

7. A primer or sealer is going to very likely change the look of that one spot because you are going to have different amounts of top coat down compared to other areas. That should be an absolute last resort.

8. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey