Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling your stash of parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Having lost both my Dad and Brother in the last 4 years gave me a whole new perspective on things. I now know how big a job and burden you leave on others leaving " your stash " intact and not thinning the herd. I vowed not to do that to others and thus gave me the incentive to get my butt in gear and thin away. The added bonus is a couple bucks in my pocket and some more free space around the shop.

41 coupe, 41rodderz, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am finding getting some floor space is a nice peace of mind , not tripping.:)

j-jock and milwscruffy like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Add to that , finding parts I forgot about.

The37Kid and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Often its the emotional cost of discarding your parents stuff that is VERY taxing. Not just the physical aspect.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree-don't want to leave a burden for others. Going thru stuff now and getting rid of things I will probably never use.
    Also helping my neighbor as well. Some of it we haven't looked at in 25+ years. Lots of 40 parts and trifive stuff as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    waxhead likes this.
  6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

not if I get there first!:p

7. redoxide

redoxide

lots of guys with stashes of parts should think about selling. Chanes are they wont be building anything decent if some of them even built anything at all. Sometimes its simply bragging rights to having a load of parts in storage that own that no one else has access to. Im like others on here that buy bits and pay fair prices because we will actually use them, or if not , at least shift them on in trade or for at least in the hope of getting what we paid, which is usually not the case .. The new buyers need just doesnt seem to be the same as ours was lol..

It grates me to see a garage wall adorned with dozens of 32 grille shells while 32 grille shells soar in price .. or at least the did for a while .. then folk realised that the dude with the bank of old shells can keep them , a $200 repop works just as well on a pile of scared up old junk :) I ecently screwed togther a pile of good parts and body and mover it along , with the proceeds bought a T body and a 32 chassis and I have enough parts left to build the T and the A roadster , That should see me good for the next couple of years .. I will be stone out of parts but have 3 good traditional hot rods .. saleable as affordale cars or affordable to hang onto .. but all in less than some fellas have in a paint job, usually the same fells that have a stack of redundant 32 grille shells :)

Sell your shit , you cant take it with you and sure as hell your kin have zero interest in that old junk, meanwhile HOT RODDERS and the next generation of same are crying out for the parts .. The hobby wasnt always fueled by greed ..

41 GMC K-18, steveareno and waxhead like this.
  8. Terrible80

Terrible80

It's your stuff. Do as you please. I treasure stuff my old man left behind. Also I scraped the junk.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I maybe too black and white. I would rather sell my parts to someone who is going to use the part then flippers . The side benefit , you talk hot rods and maybe make a friend. I just have no time to waste talking to a low baller.

LOST ANGEL and waxhead like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sold the 1927 T Tudor . Time to go through the hub cap collection and old signs .

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

YES TIME TO GET RID OF THE SH#$.

PAT

41rodderz likes this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

NO, I`m not selling my stuff.

LOST ANGEL and 41rodderz like this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am really starting to enjoy the shop floor and less stuff in the way .:) Tripping isn’t any fun as you slide into becoming into old age. Makes you an “ old grouch” . :D

-Brent-, TrailerTrashToo and redoxide like this.
  14. Sell it all to me! I'm still young and dumb.

15. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Been Slowly Giving My Stash To Friends On Their Birthdays So They Don't Give It Back... DSCN1820.JPG

41rodderz, 41 GMC K-18 and Paul like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My next stash to sell is my Hot Wheels collection since I have no desire left to collect them,started going through them and keeping what I really liked but that pile got too large so I am going to contact some collectors and have them buy all.

41rodderz likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You go :) Not sure anyone wants my stack of hub caps but I figure my old signs , thermometers and clock may head away from here. Oh and spotlights :D

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I got $180 for 7 of mine. A guy took them on trade plus cash for my current build. (I didn`t say I sold them).

19. If it helps you guys I just moved my first purchased 833 4 speed I bought in about 1977 from the spot it had occupied since I stashed it there in 1977. It's the early 63-65 833 and had the snout cut off for a auto crank at some point - Mopar guys will understand. Had a guy at the last show in Sept wanting to go as built with a 1963 max wedge car - so we will see if it finds a new home. It would have had to move sometime soon as I need to empty that home I bought in 1976.

41rodderz likes this.
  20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to the "antiquated" section and look up the thread, Gus and his Doodle Bug, that's where some of my stash went. I gave it to the kid ( Gus ) for free and I didn't charge for the shipping either, and it gave me a lot of pleasure to do it!

Those vintage parts were just sitting on my shelf and now they are going to really be put to good use by a great young kid, with a very cool project !

The video his dad shot of Gus opening up the boxes will put a smile on your face guaranteed !

waxhead and Max Gearhead like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s cool and good on you .

triumph 1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.