Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Street Snail: '50 Pontiac Silver Streak 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lerenzo Rawson, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Well she's been out of my garage for a little while now, and I actually miss it a lot, not having anything to go back and tinker on. It feels really strange going back to an empty garage!

"Day 42: It is lonely on this island, and I think the natives have noticed my presence."

Now that I can't run off to disappear and work on the car, I'm getting lists from the wife. Already have to put up the Christmas tree! On the upside though, I'm seeing progress from the shop. Ignore the paint, please.
    IMG_20191125_155825.jpeg IMG_20191125_155838.jpeg

Sent from my cp3705A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I'm not really sure what direction your going with your Pontiac but that's o.k.! I miss the old '50 Catalina, straight 8 & Hydra-matic, that I use to have, sometimes wish that I still had it.
    457386-1364850463-a577193359b33d239cf1de5d7c5bc957.jpg
    457387-1364850463-26c99289fc332887b417d744dccce09f.jpg

Lerenzo Rawson and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

I'm not sure either. I think it will be black and red, and nose high but just something nice looking and fun to rip around in. I asked the shop to take care of the structural integrity first when I gave it to them. It's getting new frame ends, suspension, wiring, and lines.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    swade41, Ford52PU and Squablow like this.
  5. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Guys, I had an idea. If I took the original 8 home, and 2 speed, could I put it in something else? I had an idea to make like a hot rod tractor or something lol. It wouldn't be fast but I think it could be fun lol. Ever seen mags in a John Deere?

6. Just an advice: Showing that modern drive train swap is not well received here on the HAMB. Talking about putting a straight eight in a tractor neither.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

That's good to know, that's why I ask about things. It'll get taken down, thanks for the info!

8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

my wife and I suspect we are being stroked here ! atleast I hope so !

9. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

You are both correct then!

10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

good to hear .some take things TO seriously .I guess you are losing the eight . ive been told split 5 and 3 they sound awsume , but never heard it with my own ears . I had a 50 , wish id kept it but to nice to sled so I sold to someone who likes stock . not me!! build it like you own it and never apologize .I find I like things now I never would have years ago .wide whites and hub caps ? hauled many to the dump .now I think old-school kool , but now im old---er

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  11. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

All jokes aside, I would love to build the 8 into something light! There was a picture of a very old Hudson racecar that I saw online that looks just beautiful. If I could make something like that happen inside my own garage I would really be a proud man. If this one gets butchered in the eyes of the HAMB, it could go under Project Street Snail: Redemption! Screenshot_20191203-135313.jpeg

slv63 likes this.
  12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

model Ts are getting dirt cheap .everyone is dying off !! chassie might be a good starting place . look up model t ford speedster . only thing to fear is fear !!

13. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Guys, I've been doing a lot of thinking here, so let me know what you guys think, whether this idea makes sense or not. I've been told a lot to find a theme or idea that I like, and an era that fits it. Well I think I found it, and it seems like the one that fits makes a lot of sense for where I'm at. It's going to sound OT at first but please hear me out here!
    I never really got into cars til after I came back from deployment in 2018 and I bought my buddies Subaru since I finally had the money to get a cool car, and went ham on it. I made it red white and blue. I plastered it in hoonigan and O'Reilly's steering wheel and cool wheels from RnR tire expresses. I did everything I could afford to on it before the cats clogged and I lost the engine, and I drove the hell out of that thing like I thought I was David Higgins!
    So what would have happened if a kid my age got back from Vietnam in 62, looked at all the cool cars then, and pulled the trigger and finally bought one his fiancee hated? Well, I would guess he does the same thing, but moon, jc Whitney or what ever the popular accessories book was then. The coolest wheels he could find for the money, cheap paint, and moon everything so he could say moon equipped when he came out to cruise. It probably didn't look all that great, but I'm betting it would have been his baby.
    Since it went to the shop, I've had a lot of the older neighbors ask what happened to the old chevy I had in the back. The oldest of them said they liked the black and gray because it looks like something from right after Vietnam. How far off am I here?

Sent from my 5032W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

This is the one they meant. After looking at all the ways I redid it, this is the one that I liked most. I kept looking at it and saying nose up, nose up! I told the shop owner that and he jacked up the front end and had me sit in it, and I couldn't see shit, and he laughed. So the next time I came in, it was raked, and I loved it. And I can see! Screenshot_2019-12-15-14-29-03-243.jpeg

15. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Well, it's a little farther along now. They worked some magic, and brought it up a little to level it out and leave it a little more aggressive. It now has the same stance as Falfa's I think, but the engine isn't in yet. It looks great to me so far! Once again, please ignore the paint guys, it will be rectified. IMG_20191223_152328.jpeg IMG_20191223_152718.jpeg

16. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

It's been a really long time since I've updated this and the shop took over for the swap. They have it running, and this thing sounds mean! It took 4 mufflers to quiet her down, and it's still loud as hell. Just how I like it! I can't wait to get it back, then it's back to the same old thing, painting away. The front wheels are small, but Im looking for some steelies to fix that. I guess that gives me something to do while we're all stuck at home. Another thing learned. Swaps are expensive, and they take longer than they cost! 1584188779230.jpeg 1582843462925.jpeg 1580485605473.jpeg

17. So what engine is going into it now, that small block Chevy in one of the photos ?

18. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Yes sir. It's a 385 stroker, I wanted it as a gasser. The shop let me know that because I'm short, if I jacked up the front I wouldnt be able to see so they raked it. Then my daily driver broke down, so I was going to drive this for a while when it's finished, until I could afford a new car. But not this virus is moving, and we have these checks coming so I think I'll keep fun to fun and get a beater for a daily. So it's not all fit to the site, but it's what I could afford. I guess it won't be a gasser or a racecar, it's just my old Street Snail. It should be fun at least though.

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

In this comment it was said to keep the old wheel. Is there an adapter to use so I can put the old wheel back on? I have a moon wheel that is new and shiny, and still have the original wheel. Is there an adapter I could buy if I ever wanted it on the newer column? I know, I know, if I listened before I wouldn't be asking this question lol.

20. I'm not sure how your original wheel attached, some are splined, some are a tapered shaft with a key way.
    I was wondering about the engine because I seen a standard looking sbc but then seen a comment about late model engines being not allowed.

21. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

It is splined I believe? A long gear that it sits around. I'm not certain of all the terms lol. The engine came from a truck of some sort, the shop chose the trans and rear end.

22. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

23. That should be a standard GM spline, you should be able to change wheels back and forth. Take your adapter that came with the new wheel and see if it fits on the original spline the original wheel was on, that'll tell you.

24. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Guys, I went to the shop yesterday and they said it's pretty close to finished. And let me tell you she sounds mean! The exhaust they decided on is duals, with a glass pack into a glass pack on each. I got some paint stripper and got most of the red paint off the glass where I could, so now there's a little more visibility. Only problem is, I forgot how broken the glass was! And man, is it expensive to fix! The shop owner taped the inside of the glass to save it, and I slapped stickers all over it to keep the pieces from falling out. I got some wheels though, and I may paint the american glory back on and put the flags back in.

chryslerfan55 and swade41 like this.
  25. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

for what it worth I started with the wheel and shaft from a 50 Pontiac and could have used a 58 Chevy wheel but ended up using a 40?? Pontiac wheel. The splines were all the same

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

An older fellow in my car club actually helped me out in that department. We took the moon wheel, and fixed the original horn cap to it, so that everything is still functional, and matches my interior. I think it's pretty snazzy! Kept some of that original bit in there. It ought to fix the ugly steering wheel from the column swap. Screenshot_2020-04-25-11-34-28-648.jpeg 1597543332956.jpeg

27. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Also, I got a cool seat blanket! I want to find another one for a "headlner" since I found the old hardware for it. 1597543574557.jpeg

28. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

I got the Street Snail back from the shop. It's one hell of a machine! Definitely needs some work still, but I couldn't be happier. I got the steering wheel swapped out and my blanket in, and it makes a huge difference. received_1289943008064792.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and DIYGUY like this.
  29. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

My wife and I took the Snail on its maiden voyage today! It's an awesome ride, and much more traffic friendly than I originally thought. On the other side, I learned yet another lesson. DON'T LEAVE THE PHONE ON THE ROOF!! Snapchat-1543545307.jpeg Snapchat-2138752420.jpeg Snapchat-730986617.jpeg Snapchat-2037491478.jpeg Snapchat-157381680.jpeg

30. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

You look like one happy car guy! Have fun!