Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Just dragged home a 56 Crown Vicktoria

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Y-Blokkah, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Nice and complete, but had a previous quickie paint job in resale red and white to hide some sins. Has a nice mostly correct 55 Crown red and white interior installed. Last driven in 05 and it shows.
    Got the typical underbody rust, some pinholes in the floor braces, rear bottoms of quarters peeking through, and the front cross ember has much air showing through. Heck, it’s even got a couple small rust holes in the doors for character. Cars sure rust in stupid spots here in Texas.

It’s a factory Air car with most of the underhood crap long since removed but for the compressor mounting plate. Dash is still intact with it’s cool vents and relocated left air pull knob.
    I was surprised to see the data tag say it’s a factory red and white car with red and white interior.
    292 auto, fender skirts, power steering and factory air. But dammit, do I want to do another right now, dammit.
    I’m thinking this might go on the “WTF was I thinking” stack of stuff.

Attached Files:

2. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I think I made a big assed mistake with this bucket o’ shit

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

No you didn't! Those are very fine vehicles. I have a '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria but would love to have a crown. Mind you they can turn into furnaces if they have that plexiglass roof insert. The problems you stated seem relatively minor and with winter coming on in a few months a good time to address them ( you do have somew if you type of winter in Texas right?).

Now if you want to get rid of it and can deliver let me know...

PS Is your avatar your car? How did you get a Meteor way down in Texas?!

4. VANDENPLAS, Deuces and Y-Blokkah like this.

5. Looks like a pretty decent car to me!

6. Deuces

Deuces

Don't want to work on it???..... Sell it to someone who'll give it some love!.... ;)

7. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I’ve done several of these cars down through the years. My last full resto was a 56 Monarch Richelieu 2dr hardtop with factory Air.. yes the real trunk mounted with vents, clear tubes and headliner vents factory air.
    Before that was a 55 Crown glasstop.
    So I know what I’m getting into and I’m not sure I’m ready to do it again right now. And also, I truly despise dealing with rust holes. Besides, although Crowns are cool, I actually prefer an actual 2dr hardtop Vicky....

Yes the Meteor Victoria 4dr hardtop is my car. I knew it when I was 17. I lived in Regina through my teens until I joined the Army, so I knew the car in Moose Jaw. I just traced it back and eventually found it... in Arkansas in a private collection. I threw enough green at it and when they were ready, I had it brought home.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I agree that the Victoria is cool and that the Crowns are really fancy two door posts but still I'd like one. But I wouldn't give up my Victoria for one. There's a heck of a lot of Meteors still on the prairies. Must be a prairie thing in liking them as I was born in Regina or as Rick Mercer says, "The city that rhymes with fun!".

Y-Blokkah and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Yep, Meteor sedans all around when I was young. Meteor Crowns, converts, and 4dr hardtops were like Hen’s teeth though.
    Regina’s an odd place. It’s right in the middle of nowhere, a couple hundred thousand people, reminds me of Lubbock or Amarillo.

And absolutely overflowing with car guys and hot fodders. It easily has the best main cruising scenes I’ve ever known in my life if you’e more into showing off your ride, looking cool, and hanging out. I’ve yet to find a better one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always liked the cheaper versions of those cars myself.. They are sharp though..

I was always a Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix guy, I owned a bunch of them, 421, 389, tri power, I even had a 64 Grand Prix 421 car that I installed the Hurst Dual Gate into with the key. Frankly the shifter was all show, it had a hydro and all you had to do was leave it in L to race.. But I got tired of them and bought a 69 el Camino SS396 this time around. I love this car, its built so much better then the old 60-64 Pontiacs were. I love how it handles, its so nimble, how smooth it rides and how quiet it is.. Sometimes you need to change. But I keep looking at the 65 2+2, Catalina, Grand Prix cars for sale Oh those 8 lugs LOL..

65 2+2 8 lugs nice photo.jpg 2+2 interior 4 speed.jpg

11. v8flat44

v8flat44

Since we got off topic a bit, i'll toss in my 2+2 tidbit. Knew a guy with a 65 2+2 421 3 speed...yes a three speed. Guys came from all over to race him. As far as i know that catalina beat them all.
    I'd love to have a coral & white 56 Crown & a 65 Catalina 2+2.............................so there !

12. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I’m just not a Crown Vic guy. I prefer the 56 Victoria. Straight up two or four door hardtop. I like post cars too, but the Crown Vic is heavy, where the normal two door sedan is a lightweight.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  13. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I have a good friend who’s a massive Tin Indian fan. I tried for years to buy his 54 Star Chief convert from him, but I’ve given up trying. He also has a pair of 2+2s and I have nothing that can even come close.
    Those things are ugly as a mud fence but dang can they fly!

14. jaracer

jaracer

You sure you have a 292? The fender badges indicate a 312.

15. I thought that same thing at first when I got my 56, but the thunderbird fender badges don’t mean 312. My car is definitely a 292 even though 312 was an option. The badges don’t indicate the 312 specifically.

Fortunateson likes this.
  16. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Yep, it’s a 292. That Thunderbird Y-8 emblem is just that: an emblem

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. belair

belair

Well, at least you'll have no trouble selling it if that's where you're headed.

18. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I dunno. When I sell, the value instantly drops to scrap value

Algoma56 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. The interior looks almost mint..... Great score....

20. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I had a 56 Meteor Crown Vic ( no glass top) my 1st yr out of high school in '67. Blue/white with the black insert and a black and white interior. 292 4v w/3sp. I was a dinosaur in that car back then. Everyone else had GTO's, Mustangs, Chevelles and Roadrunners. Sold it when I got drafted. That's the one I want back.