Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 F100 Daily Driver Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Is that crease on top of the inner fender brace or just ahead of it? That would decide what course of action to take. If it's on the brace, then the fender would likely need to come off to address it, but if it's in front of the brace then the Tools that @loudbang showed would work well.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. Dude, that crease lies just off center, between the two sides of that inner brace. :mad:

I would most likely have remove the fender and cut out the spot welds on the brace to get to it or use a pin welder (which I don't have access to) and try to pull it out.
    Plus there's a touch of rust there at the bottom the fender where the inner brace connects to the fender.

Shit, If i have to do all of that, it almost makes sense to buy the "back half of the fender" repair panel, weld it in and call it a day. I dunno.

--

I had to stray away from my plans to start on the bodywork this week because she developed some hesitation under initial acceleration. I found the accelerator pump wet where is shouldn't have been. Cracked her open and found this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna go ahead and blame California's, ethanol laced, shitty excuse for gas and the fact that the PO left her sitting for a while.

There was also some flotsam and jetsam on the screen in the seat nearest the fuel inlet.

[​IMG]

Hehehe... looks like a paranoid monkey. :D:D:D

[​IMG]

Anyway, crisis averted. She's not stumbling anymore and runs and idles real sweet. Shit, using Edelbrock's out of the box "default" settings, she fired right up after the float bowls filled. Small idle air adjustment and choke setting and I was back on the road. It's truly amazing how simplistic these carburetors really are.

If you're gonna be rebuilding one of these, do yourself a favor and get the kit, floats, and accelerator pump, straight from Edelbrock. Those aftermarket kits from Amazon or eBay are junk.

On top of all that, my wife's off topic, post deleting, and bannable '89 Chevy K2500, ate an ignition module. I went ahead and did a proper tune up on it.

[​IMG]

I love this old truck. We payed $1300 for it and drove it home. It was one owner and there is nothing broken or missing on it. All I did was clean it up, installed new brakes and rotors and we were set. We've had, and worked it hard (wife works on a ranch) for two years now and the other day was the very first time we've had any trouble with it.

Well, that's about all I have for today. Be safe!

--Doc

loudbang, Thor1 and fauj like this.
  3. I have the inner fender braces off both my fenders at the moment as I bought new lower fender replacement panels. The design traps debris between the fender and the brace and is guaranteed to rust eventually.

My braces were rusted through, so I had to make some repair panels for them.

loudbang, Thor1 and ccain like this.
  4. Youch!!! Yeah, can't wait to see the worms that crawl out of this can I'm about to open. :D
    I'm no Carnac the Magnificent, but I'll lay you odds there's about a pound of bondo in that lower fender. Maybe not... we'll see.

This is looking more and more palatable:

[​IMG]

:D

OahuEli, fauj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. I just bought the smaller fender repair panels... Mine had brazed patches and a talented sculptor had recreated body lines from bondo. Unfortunately in more than just the fenders!

Just saw your new signature... I literally cannot count the number of times I heard that phrase! Generally with significant amounts of colorful language mixed in as well!

Thor1, warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  6. Doc, these are my braces and it shows what was rusted and needed to be repaired.
    20200915_121646.jpg

7. There should be a stud at the bottom of each that holds the bottom of the fenders to the mounting point on the cab as well.

loudbang, fauj and Thor1 like this.
  8. There were remnants of the same fender clips as would be found in the other holes on the fender there are 3 per fender on the inside. See the attached pic edit: found correct pic.
    View attachment 4818148

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    loudbang, Thor1 and Speedy Canuck like this.
  9. Well, you've just been a wealth of information for me in the past 24 hours! Not only a picture of the clips, but the Ford part number too! Thanks!!!
    (I've owned three of these trucks, one had bolts welded to the inside fender where the studs were, one has a bolt through the fender from the outside, one was just a welded goobered mess that was slathered in bondo.

loudbang, Thor1 and fauj like this.
  10. Those clips were a learning experience for me... Just sharing what I discovered. Of the six, I had part of one left.

Speedy Canuck, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  11. I got these off eBay. If you search for the Ford part number above you can find them. Obviously not original Ford. I'd actually forgotten that I had even ordered them. I blame early onset senility. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  12. Forgive me HAMBers, for I have sinned. It has been over a month since my last update. :D

So... WOW! A LOT has been going on in a short time.

Truck is still running amazingly and there has been no recurrence of the warm start issue, by the way.

Was bored... you guessed it, waiting on parts. Decided to put some of my scrap lumber to use and build a set of low profile bed racks, just for shits and giggles. I kinda dig 'em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those uprights on the grille bothered me, so I covered them with black vinyl. This is a crappy pic, but It really cleaned the grille up.

[​IMG]

Not that we get super cold here, it still gets chilly at night and during rainy season, so I took the time to give the garage door an overhaul and some much needed insulation.
    Yeah, that's how tight the shop is. :confused:

[​IMG]

Broke my toe in the process.

[​IMG]

I knocked a Ryobi 18v cordless drill with the big 3Ah battery off the workbench and onto what used to be a pristine digit. So much for my toe fungus cream foot modeling career!

Don't wear flip-flops in the shop, folks. This little piggy went f#@&!!! f#@&!!! f#@&!!! all the way to the liquor cabinet.

The REAL shitty thing is, I also broke my drill. :mad:

--

Okay, this next bit is the result of me not finding exactly what I wanted when it came to a bed liner. I'm gonna use the truck so I want to keep what's left of the bed as intact as possible.

Everything I found online was too expensive and just not "right" for the truck, you know? I mean I could have gotten a universal rubber mat, but where's the fun in that?

Looking at the new bed racks gave me an idea. So, here's is my cost cutting solution. I ordered 7 bed floor rails on eBay for $50 (free shipping) and bought a 4X8 sheet of 1/2" sanded pine plywood for $40, and assorted hardware for $30.

I ripped the plywood into 6 1/2" strips, but after I cut it to length. The left over 2' of ply I used for the sides fore and aft of the wheel wells, biscuit joined to 3" strips. One sheet of plywood did the whole thing.

Each board was then routed on each edge to provide a groove for the bedrails to bite into.

I took the torch to the grain of the plywood and finished it as I would anything else. Sanded all the way up to 800, two coats of Spar urethane, sand with 1000 then more urethane.

The "bedliner" I built is completely removable yet still firmly attached to the bed floor.
    It's cheap, made out of plywood, and if I screw it up, I can just cut another strip of ply and replace it.

Here it is mocked up:
    [​IMG]

Finishing:
    [​IMG]

Assembled and installed:
    [​IMG]

Made a hinged cap to fit over my gas filler. Works out great. All and all, I real happy with the way it turned out. And, I'm into it for $120.

Man, the groceries are gonna look great back there. :D:D:D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Just Gary, Ford52PU, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  13. Looking good, well, except for the little piggy! That little guy got the shit kicked out of him!

The truck is looking better and better!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is why I focused my search for a vintage pick-up to be a short-bed. My 64 F-100 short-box fits just as tight in my garage.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  15. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Nice lookin truck. Saw you are local from my crash thread and had to check it out. I see you recently did the window rubber/fuzzies and stuff. I am about to attempt the same on my 56 merc. The body shop I used sucked and I need to fix, and finish their crappy job. Maybe see you around.

ccain, fauj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. It's been a while since my last update, so...

After a few months of agonizing over tires and researching not only sizes but trying to find matching sidewalls in two different size tires, I settled in on some Hankooks that are a bit larger than her previous set.

[​IMG]

Also, I shit canned the pine bed rails in favor of some proper oak ones with stainless hardware.

[​IMG]

That's about it for now, as it's been kinda crazy around here.

brEad, OahuEli, Shadow Creek and 9 others like this.
  17. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ccain,

Your truck is looking fantastic!

loudbang and ccain like this.
  18. I like it....

loudbang and ccain like this.
  19. Mart

Mart

I enjoyed reading this thread. I had a 58 that was nowhere near as smart as this one. I like particularly that you have let the truck be a truck and not lowered it. The attention to detail has been very impressive. I like what you did with the bed floor too.
    Mart.

41 GMC K-18, loudbang, ccain and 4 others like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

Love what you did, why don’t you see more of these?!

ccain, loudbang and Thor1 like this.

21. Thanks guys!!!

Probably just boils down to looks. From what I've heard and read, folks thought they were ugly and undesirable.

I mean, to me, they're beautiful but I can see how some could confuse my truck with a goitrous lunch lady wearing horned-rim glasses, stuffed into a little red dress, wearing running shoes. :cool::D

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline. :p

--

Okay, so a couple of cool things to report.

--

First: I found and decoded the original VIN on the frame (truck has a state issued VIN). I now know that this truck was built in San Jose CA. and came factory with a 292. Pretty cool to know, I guess.

Would love to find out more history on this thing but the paperwork I have only goes back to 2005 when the new VIN was issued. Before 2005, she could have been pieces of 16 other trucks. Who knows?

--

Second: BRAKES!

[​IMG]

For a while now, I've been doing a LOT of research and gathering parts. That is, ever since I ordered the new kingpins and tie-rod ends. I figure "while I've got it apart"... You know?

I could make up all kinds of excuses for keeping the original stuff (which works great BTW) but, at the end of the day I find I'm willing to sacrifice a little originality for safety and drivability. A tad more comfort doesn't hurt either. Oh... not to mention making it so the wife can drive it... not that I'm gonna let 'er. :p

So, after all of this, when Ms. Suzi Cellphone pulls out in front of me at speed, my sphincter shouldn't bite the upholstery so hard. :D

Stay tuned

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  22. Glad to see you back on it... Although your description of the lunch lady may have been a bit much! Some of us have very graphic imaginations! :D

loudbang, Thor1, ccain and 1 other person like this.
  23. Small "getting a jump on the weekend" update:

So, last night I pre-plumbed the master to the proportioning valve. 'Still have to bench bleed it, don't let me forget. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't get any pics but I got the kingpin bushings in and reamed. Slopped in the kingpins and bolted on the caliper bracket, packed the bearings and installed the rotor and caliper. And, honest to god, the whole job took about an hour and a half, counting beer and cigarette breaks.

Man, you talk about a nice conversion kit. I've read mixed opinions on Pirate Jack's stuff but I'm starting to believe all the griping is from folks who are... let's say... less than "technically adept" because, this thing so far, has pretty much installed itself. Excellent quality, fit, and looks pretty badass, even though it all gets covered up.

I had actually planned for the truck to be down for a week or two because I thought I'd have to fight all this stuff to get it to work. I'm still a ways out as I have to make up lines and install the residuals, booster, and master cylinder. But... We're getting there. ;)

I'm writing this from the shop, so I've got to get back to it. :cool:

Peace

41 GMC K-18, brEad, OahuEli and 4 others like this.
  24. Just a quick update on one issue I found installing this kit.

I feel like I should share this since there's not a lot of info out there for installing this kit.

I forgot to mention to make sure that if you replace the bolt, replace it with a grade 8 bolt, nut, and washer.

Hopefully it can help someone down range.

[​IMG]

25. Okay, so here's where we are today:

The Pirate Jack's power brake unit (like his disc conversion kit) slopped right in with no modifications needed under the hood. (note: I am not associated with or getting reimbursed by Pirate Jack, however... if he wants to send me free stuff, I'm okay with it. :D:D:D)

Now all I have to do is plumb EVERYTHING.

[​IMG]

There was ONE snag, however. And again, if you're installing one of these kits on this model truck, you may need to modify the pedal pushrod adjustment sleeve. I had to take 3/4" off each side. Luckily the supplied sleeve is drilled and threaded down about two and a half inches on each end so I had a little leeway.

[​IMG]

It's amazing what you can do with a Screwdriver. :D

Back to the shop.

brEad, loudbang, fauj and 3 others like this.
  26. So, I've gotten a few more things checked off the list.

The disc brake and power brake conversion kits went on so easy and without any fab work or anything other than grinding two bolts and adjusting the pedal adjustment sleeve. I am chuffed.

[​IMG]

These new discs peeking out from behind my old, beat up slots, is a little strange but I'm okay with it.

[​IMG]

At some point someone really smashed the brakes hard. :eek:

[​IMG]

I love clean brass. I lightly polish it before I install it like the lunatic I am. :D Here's two new ones and a 4-way Weatherhead fitting that is original to the truck.

[​IMG]

I have now replaced every single brake line on the truck with new stainless tube, all bent to match the original stuff. Was able to use all the factory clamps to hold it in place neatly. I love my double flaring tool! I'd double flare my pecker if I thought it would work. :D:D:D

[​IMG]

'Been reading a lot about how this alcohol infused gas boils off so quickly. I still have a hot start issue. I have ran a new fuel line to the carb because the old one came too close to hot parts, opened my air cleaner up a bit and welded up and installed a second factory style snorkel on the air cleaner hoping to let some heat out and for it to breathe better.

I had already installed a carb spacer hoping to increase the plenum area and cool down the internal intake temps a bit, but I still have this hot start bullshit.

I've read that an electric fuel pump might help solve the issue, so fuck it, I'm going for it. Got me a nice little Carter pump...

[​IMG]

and found a tight little space before the fuel tank to mount it. I know, I know, the inlet isn't level with the outlet on the tank, but I think we'll be okay. (note: that shitty weld on the pipe is NOT my handy work.:p) Still have to plumb the fuel system. I've got all the tubing ran, I just need to hook up the fuel lines to complete the conversion.

[​IMG]

I have the wiring all buttoned up with a new relay and the all important inertia switch. I don't mind crashing, it's the burning to death while trapped in the crunched cab that I have a problem with.:D

[​IMG]

I'm waiting on an overpriced brass fitting to show up today so I can button all this shit up and drive the damned thing. Wish me luck. o_O

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    loudbang, brEad, fauj and 2 others like this.
  27. I do not see a problem with your mounting with such a short distance to draw the fuel to the pump. The real problem is trying to pull it the length of a vehicle with forward inertia of the moving vehicle causing the pump to work harder at drawing the fuel forward. It is easier to push it so the small amount of length should be fine. Please keep us posted as to the fix. If it works or not with your hot start issue.

loudbang, ccain, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  28. Such a nice truck. Wish I had found this thread a couple years ago, would've come in quite handy with the '62 Uni in my avatar before I sold it.

Thor1, loudbang and ccain like this.
  29. When I plumbed all new brakes on my 60 F100, I reused the 4 way fitting. The 59 that I'm doing now didn't have the factory brake lines, and I underestimated how difficult it is to find a simple 4 way fitting for flared brake lines! Looks good!

30. So... we're well overdue for an update.

To replace those extra-flexy motor mounts, I bought this beefy cross member and motor mounts from Mid Fifty F100 parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing slopped right in. I was amazed how easy the install was and how lucky I was that the engine was right where it needed to be (measurement wise) to install this. Actually, the new cross member raised the engine about a 1/4" which just improved all of the drive line angles. This is a nice kit and I highly recommend it.

On to the exhaust. Bought a set of shorties (I'm gonna change them out to long tubes one of these days, but for now, this works.

[​IMG]

Uh oh. Sensibility and reason went out the window when I caved to cutouts. I thought, "why the fuck not put in a 'Fun Button'?" So...

[​IMG]

I didn't want the cutout servos that only have a remote fob, so I opted for a kit that has a two position toggle switch. Holy hell! I love these stupid things. I mean, they're obnoxious, childsh and dumb, but I grin like a 5 year old, salivating outside a candy store. Chills. Literal chills. :D:D

[​IMG]

You can thank David Freiburger for planting the seed in my head that "you can make anything sound like a hot rod if you just put glass-packs on it." I dunno if my junk sounds like a hot rod, but this exhaust spits and slaps like a Harley with true dual fishtails on it.

I shot the exhaust out in front of the rear wheels this time. A huge shout out to Ranch Muffler & Truck Accessories in Temecula for putting up with my nonsense an bending me up some tube. They bent the exhaust based on a drawing with measurements and angles I made because I couldn't take the truck in to their shop because I had it in pieces. Great group of guys who are masters of their craft!

[​IMG]

Also, in an attempt to make the paint surface look less like a citrus fruit, I wet sanded and buffed the truck. I was actually really surprised and pleased with how much just a cut and polish hid a lot of the sins going on under the paint.

[​IMG]

Here's a before of the passenger side door:

[​IMG]

Here's the after pic. Not bad, I suppose.

[​IMG]

The drivers side front fender had been pushed in a fair amount. I didn't know just how much until I got out my profile gauge. Holy crap! It's pushed in about 3/4".

[​IMG]

I found a set of fiberglass fenders locally for $200. I'm actively working on them, so those pics are coming soon.

The idea here is to get these fenders straight and crisp, then hang them on the truck temporarily so I can take my time and work on the steel fenders. I can't decide if I'm gonna paint them up or run them under primer. I'm leaning toward painting them.

[​IMG]

So, along with trying to iron out that hot start issue, I realized that my air cleaner might have been a bit restrictive for that Edlebrock, do I bought another snout that matches, cut the flange and repositioned it to fit the other side, cut a hole, sank some nut-certs in it and, Bob's yer uncle, more air. I also gutted inside the snouts and removed the internal baffle on the air cleaner body, she can breathe.

[​IMG]

Painted to mach, and installed. Might fuck around and run some ducts, I dunno.

[​IMG]

My neighbor was having some plumbing done in her garage and asked if she could park her project car in my driveway until they were finished. Reluctantly, I allowed it. There goes the property value. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Shaking her down has, so far, been uneventful and with everything I add or take away from this old girl, she just keeps getting better and better.

[​IMG]

I am SERIOUSLY considering a FiTech throttle body for this thing. I mean like, seriously considering it. I just have to put the cash together for it. Anybody know where I could pick up a quick grand, LEGALLY? :D

Well, that's it for today. Hope you guys are all safe and well. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021