Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The smallest physical dimension production V8?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Aug 28, 2020.

1. I too would like to know the LIGHTEST, MOST COMPACT, V8 that can be found reasonably.
    I am assuming that the original post meant a similar question..
    I dont care that the Stude 224 was small in displacement, and possibly the most rugged super heavy engine ever built, or that some super heavy Hemis came with small displacements.
    That isn't the goal at all.
    I would like to find out the lightest, most compact power source I can find for a small light car at an affordable price.
    I hope the original post question might bring us some info on that important goal.
    THANKS!
    Could the best answers be the small Buick aluminum v8? or a small Ford aluminum v8, or ??
    Who has the lightest, most compact, sort-of-powerhouse, that is affordable and reasonably easy to obtain? Ideal for some reasonably strong muscle in a peppy fun light handling hotrod. That's what I'm dying to know.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One nice feature about the 215 Buick, the front of the pan is only 1" deep, for the first seven inches. The distributor is up front, for added convenience. I have one for a Simca/Topolino project. IMG_7994.JPG

3. Deuces

Deuces

I have an aluminum 4 cam V8 in my car.... It makes 460 hp... But it's off topic..... :(

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 215 Buick sitting on the shelf, with too many projects ahead of it. It'll probably be on the estate sale unless somebody decides they need one.

65pacecar likes this.
  5. partssaloon

partssaloon

I always thought a supercharged V6 out of a Thunderbird super coupe would make a sweet ride.

6. GeeRam

GeeRam

Matched by the 121.7ci Lamborghini V8 in the Urraco only sold in Italy.
    As with the Ferrari, it was a home market only (rest of the world got the 150ci version) because of Italian luxury car tax rules at the time which heavily penalised cars over 2 litres.
    And like the Ferrari, good luck finding one of those outside of Italy.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  7. On a T why make it harder than it has to be.231 Buick.They made headers,and intakes,and cams for this one.

Tman likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Buick/Rover V8 is the choice.

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yeah, for small/light/cheap the Buick/Rover is the choice. Do some research, some are better choices than others.
    Out of sight when finding and rebuilding cost is part of the equation are the Daimler and Toyota hemi V8s mentioned.
    Even more crazy are the Italian V8s, unless you can find a running one cheap and fab the external stuff.

For the money is something to burn crowd, they make a V8 by creating one from 2 bike top ends
    Warning: not HAMB friendly
    https://www.h1v8.com/maxi-v8---specs.html
    and how it sounds

Too small for your needs are the 1/4 scale engines
    https://www.quarterscales.com/1-4-quarter-scale-engines

and an article with video asking the same question
    https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex...ooking-10-smallest-v8-engines-installed-cars/

Ned Ludd and ottoman like this.
  10. Phil, I had a '88 Thunderbird turbo coupe and it was equipped with a 2.3-liter inline-four. HRP

dana barlow and kevinrevin like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

90’s Super Coupe Tbirds were supercharged V6’s. Had the Eaton supercharger on them. I nearly bought a 92 model one time, ended up with a 5.0 Tbird Sport instead.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Back in 1965 in Long Beach,CA a CHP fellow I knew put a V860 in a 27 T coupe. Fit in perfectly.

13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet,Marty! What tranny are you planning?These Motors and the Olds get my vote.But Blowbys' is coolest..

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  14. upspirate

upspirate

I have a 229 Chev V-6 that I was thinking of for a channeled fenderless 30-31 A roadster.
    Procured chrome valve covers, Edlebrock 4 bbl intake.
    V-8 bell housings,4-5 speeds will fit.
    Figured with a mid 3 rear ratio in a light car would be fun and decent mileage.
    Alas, not going to build it,priorities have changed over the years

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a complete stick setup with a T-5. I also have the remnants of an Olds.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a friend with a '27 closed pickup. He runs a mildly built 4.3 V6 and it hauls! Kinda street-roddy for a pick here, though.

17. oldskool.

oldskool.
    from florida

I'll second or third the 231 Buick only because I have one and don't have room to store it. Any takers?

18. Right there's the kicker :D

upspirate likes this.
  19. Those Ford 260 V8's look tiny to me

20. redo32

redo32

While not a true production engine it uses production head & cylinders on a custom crankcase. The Crosley V8

upload_2020-8-31_10-44-23.jpeg

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, the material the seals in the turbo were made from weren't up to the job at that time.

22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Just do a 283. Perfect for T.

23. 283-400 SBC are the same physical size and 221-302 FSB W are the same physical size. JW

X-cpe and upspirate like this.
  24. This one is a bit off track but curious in the fact it was built and raced in the 1950's and was a V8 with 8 carburetors and 8 sets of points so some fine tune up skills were required. 30 cubic inches is the displacement or 500cc's. It was built by Moto Guzzi and raced in the 1950's 500 class of what is now motogp.

v8-500cc.jpg Moto-Guzzi-V8.jpg Moto-Guzzi-8c.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

4.2 or 4.6 Rover with buick on the valve covers. You can find these engines fairly easily and you get updated engineering and about 280 cu in instead of 215. There are some good sources for interchanging parts so you can build some neat engines. Some of the Olds versions actually came with a turbo, so using newer turbo technology while looking nostalgic could work. Try D&D Fabrications for some good reading. http://aluminumv8.com/ There are also some overseas sites that have good information. There are some combos that use a buick 300 crank for a stroker to get 305 cu in but you need some of the aluminum 300 heads to make it work and they only made them 1 year. Complete engine weights vary depending on what components you select but expect all up weight somewhere around 300/330 lbs.

Hnstray and dana barlow like this.
  26. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I think the Ferrari 308 has the same exterior dimensions as the 208 and is much more common.

FIAT also made a 2 liter V8.

The Olds "215" is a great little engine. We ran one with a 300 Buick crank, Chevy "pink" rods, four Weber carbs.

Ned Ludd and dana barlow like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I love the 231 V6 Buick’s. I put one with a Saginaw 4 speed in a Toyo pickup years ago. With the factory 4:11 rear, if I could get it rolling it would pull a freight train.

I remembered today I have a wrecked Ranger with a 4.0 Cologne V6 with a 5 speed behind it stored out back. I might just use it if I can find the stuff to lose the computer and fuel injection. It’s about the same size as a 2.8 60* V6 Chevy. Not exactly HAMB friendly, but with a full hood you’ll never see it.....

upspirate likes this.
  28. lake_harley

lake_harley

I don't know anything about the 4.0 V6 you're speaking of, but Pete Chapouris "got by" with a V-6 in this roadster. It was out of a Mercury Capri (70's or 80's?) if I remember correctly.

Lynn

0605kc_13_z-1926_ford_track_t-.jpg 2.jpg

gnichols and 1morecarIpromise! like this.
  29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That is the same engine family as what is in the wrecked Ranger I have. It’s a German Ford design, started out around a 2.8 IIRC and eventually wound up being a 4.0. That pic shows how narrow they are, great for an early frame and be able to run a full hood.
    And that side view is what I have dancing in my head....simple, and fun....

1morecarIpromise! likes this.