Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever removed the shifter knob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Aug 30, 2020.

1. exterminator

exterminator

I have a 79 camaro steering column in my 40 ford pickup that was installed years ago. I was wondering if anyone has ever removed the knob off the shifter arm. I was wondering if the knob was threaded on or pressed on. I don't want to mess anything up and want to install my rattlesnake head knob. Thanks. Exterminator

2. Jokester

Jokester

Maybe you could just saw it off right where it is and cut some new threads on it.

I think most of the OE column knobs are just pressed or glued on, but I'm not sure about your year. Someone on here will have done it though.

.bjb Good luck.

exterminator likes this.
  3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

The stem has a knurling on the end. a heat gun will loosen it , use locking pliers and yank.

exterminator likes this.
  4. Once you get the stocker off you might want to consider cutting threads in the shift lever to make the future simpler.

exterminator likes this.

5. Only takes a minute to knock out the pin and remove the lever; then you easily pull the knob and prep the shaft as needed to fit your new knob.

exterminator likes this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator