Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering column end cap bearing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Aug 29, 2020.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi All,
    So, 1950 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe. Installing power steering conversion, the kit requires the column and shaft to be shortened and connects to the steering box via u-joints. The bearing that came with the kit to go in the bottom end of the column is too small for the column inner diameter and I need to find the right one. So far, no luck at any of the hardware stores. Ace has some, but their largest is the same as the one I have and Home Depot, no one there seems to even know what one of these is even when they're looking at it so no help there.

What exactly are these called and where is the best place to go look, any suggestions or info appreciated, thanks.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think that if it fit the inner shaft that I would machine up a bushing to adapt it to the column .

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There's is a product called " Delrin" that is UHMW plastic. You can make your own bushing/bearing from that kind of material .

Weedburner 40 and olscrounger like this.
  4. Wheel barrow bearings, but they are all the same OD no matter where you find them.

Like Mark said; a bushing can be used to fit it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Moriarity and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wheelbarrow, but with a specific twist.

Let me find the picture.

abe lugo likes this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Spoken like a true machinist ! Your like a surgeon " you can cure anything by cutting"...… a chiropractor says he can cure anything with manipulation ....LOL
    Its interesting how people from different walks of life approach the same problem ...

Moriarity likes this.
  7. Plastic works for a lower bearing too; rough size with a hole a saw and "turned" to fit on a drill press.
    1 horn.jpg

pitman, olscrounger and Moriarity like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It it going to be a bit before I can sift through the pictures, but the wheelbarrow bearing works, and it does not.

There is a trick to it. First, you will need to cut the top of your steering box off. This is because you need the steering column shaft to be longer than the tube. Cut as far down as you can, in the body of the steering box, and still get the saw out of the other side. Remove the original steering box from the car.

This will leave the column tube, with a chunk of the steering box on it. Next. pull the steering wheel and column shaft up as far as you can inside the car, taking care to not pull the top column bushing with it, or you will snap your horn wire.

One the steering wheel and column is pulled back in the tube, cut the bottom of the steering column steel tube, right at where it enters the remainder of the iron steering box. You will note that the tube tapers down there., and you are cutting at the base of the taper.

Get from your local hardware store a wheelbarrow wheel bearing, with an ID of 3/4" (careful, some are 5/8"). Measure the OD (I forget what that is). You will note that the tapered column ID is too small for this bearing.
    [​IMG]

Gently grind back the column tube in the tapered area, very little at a time, until the bearing just about fits, but does not. Switch to a round file, and clean it up a bit. Tap the bearing in with a hammer. You want to make the hole such that it fits snugly, not so you have to beat the crap out of the bearing.

Next, and also from your local hardware store, grab a 3/4" ID split lock collar.
    [​IMG]
    Slide your steering column shaft back down through the new bearing. Have a helper hold the wheel down, while you attack the split lock collar to the shaft, under the new bearing, and you have a column.

At that point, it will depend on your kit where to go from there.

Some have you weld parts on. Others have you grind flats on the shaft. No way to know without posting the instructions.

Hnstray, Nostrebor, akoutlaw and 4 others like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like this: 20130222_094310.jpg
    Shown here with a not yet completely welded on Sweet u-joint.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with above-that split collar is very important to prevent wheel/shaft being pulled up and out of the u joint or off the box

11. squirrel

squirrel

Or just buy a lathe, and make your own bushing, or turn the id of the tube to fit the bearing you have. Buying more expensive equipment is always a win-win

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if you want to take the easy route...

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I used trailer bearings which were 3/4 inside dia. and were sealed. They also had a small lip around the diameter of the bearing which made it good for seating them in the cup I machined for them.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. doesnt everybody already have the buddy with the lathe? I would recommend the delrin on the lathe. I like the locking collar you guys mentioned

squirrel likes this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lots of good info. Chevy shaft is .750 but early Ford is a bit bigger .764? on the ones we did we used some 3/4 double D on the box end spliced to upper shaft with sleeve and rosette welds about 6" up into column bottom. etc done by certified welder. Done maybe 7-8 this way. Delrin bushing and 3/4 collar as well. Some used Chevy top shafts and some used Ford shafts. I may still have several delrin bushings and floor support braces but these are for Early Ford column Here are some delrin bushings and floor supports we use on 40 columns

Attached Files:

Hnstray and mcsfabrication like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did that, cost me 20k:eek:
    Sealed bearing in upper hub and Delrin shouldered bushing in bottom end.

20180331_122738.jpg

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Can't have too too much equipment !
    IMG_2188.JPG

Hnstray and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McMaster Carr has just about any bearing you could want. You might have to have a "sleeve" or spacer machined but they, for sure will have one that fits your shaft.
    0728201341a.jpg 0730200817.jpg

vtx1800 likes this.
  19. The brass bushing in @Marty Strode above picture reminded me that my kid uses a clutch pilot bushings in the end of Ford columns. Can't remember the application; but it fits the column and is 3/4" ID. The shaft needs to turned to 3/4" to fit a joint anyway.

Hnstray and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  20. chargin03

chargin03

Classic performance steering column saver kit cp175BCS at summit racing

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

This is more rhetorical than an actual question , but is there a kit to solve every hot rod problem now days , don't people solve their problems themselves ?

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I am planning on performing the same operation on my truck. I am following an article from hot rod magazine. So far I dis-assembled my steering box, pulled out my steering shaft whole and cut only the tube at the point where it meets the box. I am looking forward to see what direction you take.

54D75346-1CD4-40AA-A59F-2AA82BC20491.jpeg
    56C4E86F-0AFE-47EE-88F0-DBBE99A4AD73.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I did the column for my 56 Olds, recently. The column's outer diameter was pretty large, not like Chevy/Ford, so I found a sealed bearing that would fit, then got an exhaust adapter, to go from 2 1\4 to 1 3/4 (OD of the bearing), welded it up. Used a couple thrust bearings and a locking collar to keep the shaft from going up or down. I had welded a double D shaft end to the stock shaft for ease of adding U joints. 100_2014.JPG 100_2016.JPG 100_2017.JPG

24. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Thanks for all the input, especially the pics. I think I've found a solution, will test fit everything this morning and post pics later today if it all works.

25. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

So, it's all together and seems to work fine. Anyone see a problem with this fix? IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG

harpo1313 and olscrounger like this.
  26. ^^^ Unless it's photo distortion; the U-joints look to be out of phase. What is the center shaft?

Happydaze likes this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That literally makes not one bit of difference in a steering shaft.

Phasing u-joints if for driveshafts, to cancel vibration.

bchctybob likes this.
  28. Maybe he steers really fast!

29. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

The center shaft piece between the ujoints is part of the cut off portion of the steering shaft.

30. Maybe so; but if engineers can off-phase (is that a word) heavy truck steering shafts to correct notchy operation; is it not possible for the opposite to be true; that out of phase joints could effect steering feel. Also we had similar experience resulting in the need to modify cross shafts linking the gearboxes in dual steer conversions.

Probably no effect here; but more importantly, at least hot rod wise, it looks messy.