Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Unexpected SBC fuel pump set up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tdskip, Aug 29, 2020.

1. tdskip

tdskip
    from SoCal

Good morning gentlemen – I hope this finds people as well as can be in these weird times and that everyone staying safe.

I am in the process of dressing my GM performance 350 crate engine and I had ordered a standard Carter mechanical pump for it but the actual mounting surface on this block is incompatible. Did they change the fuel pump set up for recent crate motors? Do I have a adapter kit or something that I need to buy?

I’m sure this is pretty basic but I’m embarrassed to admit it has me a bit stumped right now.

Thanks

0DC60183-145B-4DDA-A13F-EFB95C483D4E.jpeg

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks correct to me. Just the plate ( usually chrome) and a push rod...I like header bolts to attach the pump.
    Remember to put a short bolt in the front or you will have an oil leak.

olscrounger and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. scotty t likes this.
  4. 54vicky

54vicky

by the looks of the remains of the gasket on block you obviously removed the plate.better start looking for it and the rod also.

olscrounger likes this.

5. tdskip

tdskip
    from SoCal

Thanks for the fast and very helpful responses.

I unwrap this engine but I didn’t remove anything, so that stuff in the block is a bit weird. In any case I think you guys put me straight here, let me get that missing plate and off I go.

Thanks!

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

anyone want to mention the pump push rod to him?or just let it be a surprise?

Bandit Billy and saltracer219 like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Good One ...LOL

8. sdluck

sdluck

lippy likes this.
  9. Why does it look like the plate was glued on at one time an d rust in the hole?
    This is suppose to be new !?

0DC60183-145B-4DDA-A13F-EFB95C483D4E.jpeg

10. catdad49

catdad49

Probably a block off plate, electric fuel pump.

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

Buy a new fuel pump pushrod, they mate to the cam just like the lifters do.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I believe Jimmy mentioned the pushrod in the second post? Whats the muddy fuel line? I'm kinda miffed by the picture. As was asked, this is new? Lippy

olscrounger likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary here. Is this a trick? What am I missing.

There is a big hole, with 4-bolt holes. Two of the bolt holes are small, and two are large. They all hold the access plate down, but the top two also hold down the fuel pump.

The hole is as big as it is, so there is a straight path to use to put the fuel pump push rod in the block, all the way to the cam. It can be retained by a single long bolt on the front of the block, if that goes through, or by putting some grease on it. That will keep it up and out of the way.

Once the pushrod is in, the access plate goes on, with a gasket, and is held on with the bottom two (small) bolts).

The fuel pump is then slipped in to the oval hole in the access plate, making sure that the lever goes under the end of the push rod, with another gasket. The pump is retained to the block by the two larger bolts, which also sandwich the top of the access plate.

Attach fuel lines, prime system, do burnout.

Did I miss anything?

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only SBC engines that have any changes first lost the fuel pump pushrod hole (EFI), but kept the mounting boss.

After that, even the mounting boss disappeared (also EFI).

All of the replacement engines sold by GM, that are not specifically intended for a specific EFI application have the mounting boss, and a lobe on the cam for a fuel pump pushrod.

Truckdoctor Andy and olscrounger like this.
  15. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Remove the long bolt that is holding the push rod up and replace it with a short bolt that doesn't hit the rod.
    I tend to remember the things that I have been bitten by.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. Fogger

Fogger

One more thing to make the install easier is to hold the pushrod against the cam shaft while rotating to engine so the rod is on the base of the cam lobe. By doing this there is less tension on the fuelpump lever when it's bolted to the block.

17. After getting pump rod on cam base as fogger suggested, I have used a hack saw blade between rod and pump lever. Get the pump bolts started, remove the blade, tighten bolts.

The bolt hole on front of block doesn't extend into fuel pump cavity on my crate motor.

Phil

egads and X-cpe like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pprather, you hold the push rod up in the hole with one of the 2 mounting threads that were used for the 55-57 Chevrolet on the front. A finger tight on can hold it, it was mentioned above. If you don’t put in a 1/2”
    Length 3/8-16 in the hole it will leak oil.

19. @jimmy six
    My front engine mount holes do not go through to the fuel pump cavity, thus the blade trick.

egads likes this.
  20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Good idea to hook up a remote start switch to the engine and crank it over as you put your fingertip over the end of the pushrod. You want to be sure your camshaft has a lobe to operate the mechanical pump, before you get it all bolted up, and don't get any gas to the carb!
    Most aftermarket camshafts for these newer roller motors have the fuel pump lobe, but not sure about the newer crate engines?

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I can remember the saw blade deal in the 60's , didn't know about the bolt :(

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, I’ve never seen one without the thru threads for a bolt. Even our Dart SHP has it..... But then again I’ve lived a very sheltered life.

saltracer219 likes this.
  23. 54vicky

54vicky

I mentioned it 2 posts up from yours