Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh boy my first Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harold Cox, Aug 28, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, sweet!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

The hood hinges are actually part of the heater duct work, and there should be flexible tubing connecting the hood hinge box to the air intakes which start on either side of the radiator and duct up to the tops of the inner fenders. If the duct work that connects from there to the hood hinges is missing, you'll ingest all kinds of underhood heat.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if your vent/heater intakes are like my '54 Ranch Wagon but here are some photos of the vent ducting. The last photo shows what was left of the flapper seals. vent1.jpg vent2.jpg vent3.jpg vent4.jpg vent.jpg

54delray and loudbang like this.
  4. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

Awesome Information. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

Front seat is a little worn but the rest is real nice

loudbang likes this.
  6. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

I'll be checking it out tomorrow. THanks!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

I thought about that today. Going to do it. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  8. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

Yes sir they do!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

Thanks!
    Went riding around tonight. Found out the gas gage is wrong. haha

loudbang and David Gersic like this.
  10. Is your friend's name Marty in Black Forest?

loudbang likes this.
  11. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Nope, it's Jack in Denver Co.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Rainex works good, those Ford Distributors don't have good advance and retard setup. shorten a Chevy dist and put a ford drive gear on it and it'll advance and retard normally plus changing the points will be really easy.

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  13. 54vicky

54vicky

not a good idea as the carb works with distributor for advance.changing distributor opens up a whole new set of mods.

14. 54vicky

54vicky

not an uncommon problem it may (big may)be the float easy enough to access if so. they are a unique type not like any other (king seeley)there is info out there.the idea for the valve on intake is a good one along with some of the others.looks like someone liked jc whitney type add ons.:D:D:D.the hood is a common site (or was) at swaps.having said that car does look pretty nice.the rubber flaps need rivets drilled out and then held together with small nuts and bolts fun job

15. Thanks for the reminder those carbs are no good as well, should change it too.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

A buddy of mine had a '54 Country Squire with a 6 volt positive ground system. If yours is the same maybe want to convert to 12 Volt negative ground?

loudbang likes this.
  17. May already have one. That was a common 'fix' for replacing the OEM vacuum-controlled valve that Ford discontinued. The valve is now being reproduced (pricey though) so full heater function can be restored.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Harold Cox

Harold Cox

Trying to decide how far I want to go with this little Ford. All this information is great but I admit its causing me to consider my amount of interest, dedication, and desire for it. Its just a great running little car as it is and thats what sold me on it. I didn't buy it cheap enough to just through a bunch of cash at it and the old buick still has my greatest interest. Not to mention my 67 ss build is nearing completion from a frame off original build in the next few weeks. It was one of my dream cars so I went all out on it. No doubt I wan't everything working properly on the old Ford and would probably drive it more that the others in the long run. I've actually driven it every day since I got it. Im just a sucker for these old cars and love them all but just love driving the 50s. Thanks for all the posts.

loudbang likes this.