Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Experience with HAMB Seller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Satterfield, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I met him a couple weeks ago and he is really a great guy. I find it interesting how your op has evolved into the thread it has. I understood that you were simply pointing out that he took care of you reguardless of his own outcome.

2. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Finally Some Positive News...Thank You...

3. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I always offer to pay shipping and let buyer decide if they want insurance. Less assumptions, speculation and blame that way.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I usually do the opposite. Buyer pays shipping, but I pay insurance if it's a high dollar item. The way I see it it's mine until the buyer has it in their possession.

fauj, alanp561 and clem like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

I ask, i/e " I can insure it for XXX", if buyer says yes, they cover it, if not they take a chance.

VANDENPLAS and 210superair like this.
  6. I'm dealing with a damage claim right now with UPS. They managed to bend a Packard dash that was very well packed, and are denying my claim even though I paid for the extra insurance. Get this, it only covers if it is lost...you have to pay to cover it against them losing your package! how ridiculous is that? lol. never had a package damaged in 15 years of shipping car parts online. Box was even marked. Nothing on top. do not stack. what a bunch of crooks.

7. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I didn’t post this to bash freight companies or the hard working people that are part of the process of successfully delivering millions of packages daily. In this age of internet buying. I’ve been ripped off more than once to include a very expensive coupe from eBay The seller of the car was a total liar and scam artist. But shame on Me for not investigating it closer and trusting these people before sending the money . Mr Frings has many items for sale on this board I wanted people to know that if every item he sells he backs like he did this $4400 engine and I believe he does. You can buy with confidence.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  8. Frames

Frames

Yes I insured it for $4,300.00 or so I thought. They requested original invoice and invoice for repairs then made this offer. They have a policy to pay .50 per pound. 575 lbs. They offered $411.50 plus return $125.00 shipping cost. If they only pay .50 per pound I ask why did they request invoices. I will be making a SCAM report to the attorney general. Not holding my breath. Don't trust any freight carrier.

fauj, alanp561, 6-bangertim and 6 others like this.
  9. mickeyc

mickeyc

I just bought a Model A Ford motor from a fellow
    HAMB member. Thanks Andy. He delivered it to
    a freight dock in Long Beach California. The freight company was Saia. That was last Friday 8/21 The motor arrived in Louisiana Tuesday 8/25. I picked it
    up on Wednesday at the Saia terminal. I did book the
    shipping with a broker, Engines Direct. I was nervous
    about the fact the motor was secured to a pallet but
    not fully crated. The Saia dock shrink wrapped the motor with no additional charge. I had paid extra
    for insurance on the motor. It arrived fully intact
    with no damage. I was pleased with the expedient
    handling of the motor by Saia. The shipping was not
    inexpensive with the insurance. Of course by Andy
    delivering the motor and me picking it up we eliminated at least two handling processes by
    others. The only part I was not sure about was the
    freight clerk had me sign a standard document saying the shipment was undamaged before it was brought
    out. The motor was sitting in plain sight near by, so
    I examined it closely before they brought it to my
    truck. All was good. Now If I can get it installed
    in my A with as much efficiency! Not likely.

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would be talking to an attorney about this!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would refuse to sign anything before they brought it out and loaded it on my pickup!

'34 Ratrod and clem like this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That’s terrible Dennis.
    Why do they even bother to ask how much you want to insure for if they try to break it down to the weight.
    Crooks. Good luck. Hope you get em.

This is exactly why I traveled a total of 900 miles to pick up my engine.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Can a chunk out of a dead block be welded into that one to save it?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Fifty cent per pound is all they pay? Bullshat , they were negligent and a good judge would see thing differently I suspect.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well they would not even bring it out until I signed the receipt. You are probably correct about signing
    before inspection. If there had been an issue I would
    not walked away with some kind of acknowledge
    accountability on their part.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Reading this old thread, I currently have a Dennis Frings Flathead tied up with YRC freight. Dennis built a heavy enclosed crate to protect it but it's my experience terminal workers can damage anything. It's been on the road between Dennis and me for 1 1/2 weeks. Took several days just to find it and they wouldn't acknowledge if the crate was damaged or not. It's currently headed for Salina KS and will supposedly be delivered here on Monday? Hoping it's not damaged. I've got a lot of money invested and I would hate to settle for 50 cents a lb! I've alerted the shop where it being delivered that if there's any damage to hold the driver until I get there. (It's only a mile from my shop) Fingers crossed.

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I bought a flathead from Dennis a few years ago.
    I picked it up after delivering two rebuildable blocks.
    It would be a good guess that yours is one I’ve had in the shop for years. 8ba or a 59?
    Dennis is a first class guy.
    Good luck on your delivery.

18. I’m not defending anyone,,,,,but sometimes it is more then the freight companies or the workers .
    Have any of you driven some of our interstate highways,,,,,,they will beat you to death .
    We use to have very good roads in Tennessee,,,,but lately we have slipped .
    I40 going into Nashville is very rough in a few spots .
    Nothing like a few states I have visited,,,,that shall remain nameless,,,,,,but our roads were better years ago .
    Imagine a heavy loaded trailer bouncing over sone of those holes .
    Things must be strapped down very well,,,,,or they can be jostled loose,,,,,after several hundred miles of road .

Like I said,,,,I don’t have a dog in this fight,,,,,,,,I have never worked for a freight company.
    But,,,I have seen things get bounced loose in the back of my pickup truck,,,,,and I wasn’t even trying to be careless .
    Potholes will break almost anything,,,,,especially tires and chassis components .

Tommy

alanp561 and stillrunners like this.
  19. clem

clem

how would you explain the concrete dust that original poster mentioned...........?
    Freight company’s know the road conditions and supply trucks that should have all the correct tie down equipment and suspension to handle these things.
    Employees should be trained in all of aspects of delivery and handling.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sad situation for sure--Dennis sounds like a real standup guy--I was looking at a flathead he has for sale too glad to know he is the real deal

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. I worked for a Harley D. Dealer in Texas for 18 years. We shipped exclusively UPS. Every time the dealer had a claim, UPS always claimed package was “lacking adequate packing material”. We literally filed 20-25 claims, they paid only one time,on a custom painted gas tank that had dents all over it—-maybe 10 dents all over tank. My argument was it was dropped or mishandled more than once. They paid for damages, but it was a long,drawn out affair!!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. I worked for UPS in the late 70's early 80's......and don't/won't use them....I'll cover the cost of a more reliable carrier.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Employees should be trained ". On the rare occasion when haz-mat training procedures are involved, the employee might get to see an out of date video on procedures that were required at that time. Training for delivery and handling might only consist of a list of the procedures stuck in front of you to sign to confirm that you received the training. This isn't true for all companies, just the ones like YRC who deny responsibility for anything be it damaged freight, injured employees, dead and injured general motorists and their passengers. They just don't care.

24. Well Clem ,

Again,,,I’m not defending the freight guys,,,,I’m just trying to explain it .

Back in post #10,,,,,,it is stated the pallet arrived broken,,,and the metal straps as well .
    Once that happens,,,,,the block,,, that weighs about 300 pounds is able to move anywhere.
    If it was still on the pallet at the terminal,,,,,it could easily fall off and hit the concrete .

Now,,,,,these are not strapped down in the trailer,,,,,they can move around from being jostled over the roads and potholes .
    The pallet must be overbuilt to stand a several hundred mile journey,,,,,,because you never know what the roads hold in store .

And,,,,,these items get loaded and unloaded a few times in route,,,,,,from one trailer to another,,, depending on destination .
    Maybe it was the freight hands that did it,,,,it is definitely possible!

I really felt bad for Frames,,,,because he really lost a valuable piece,,,that cannot be replaced,,,,,and he wasn’t even fairly compensated.

When I received my Flathead a couple of years ago,,,,,complete engine,,,,,,I was very nervous about it .
    I had heard the horror stories from people on here .
    When it arrived from Minnesota,,,,,,it was immaculate,,,,,not a scratch .
    However,,,it was mounted on a pallet that was built like a Mack truck .
    I bet the guy had a hundred bucks in the pallet and wood frame it was strapped to.

Anyway,,,,,not trying to cause trouble,,,,,just trying to explain there are other causes besides just human error .

Tommy

ottoman and 5window like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Damn this thread. Lol. Summit just notified me they delivered a set of rotors for my daily and main bearings for the kids car, all in one box as I see. What could go wrong? Lol. Will open stuff up tomorrow evening and see.

26. Yea, me too. But what makes you think any of the other carriers are any better ?
    My experience is that they paid you to work there, but not enough to care, at least hourly. Are the other carriers paying better ?
    If there are better carriers I would sure like to know.

Most people don’t understand packing. How many packages have you received with limited packing of a small item in an unnecessarily large box ?

kidcampbell71 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Happy to report that I received my Flathead short block from Dennis Frings/Frames this evening at 6 o'clock. The container had no visible damage so we took the top off for further inspection and as far as we could see everything looked good. I was getting a little apprehensive because the freight company had it for over 2 weeks. Now on to getting it finished and running.

Thor1, Petejoe, clem and 8 others like this.