Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who’s done it ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chev34ute, Aug 28, 2020.

1. chev34ute

chev34ute

Hey Guys.

The next question beyond the heading is how ? If this is all sounding a little cryptic, don’t panic. The question relates to the cross bows found in the roof frames of the 30/31 Model A Closed Cab pickup. Has anyone ever made up their own timber roof frame from scratch.

This question may be more relevant to Australian members where these wood kits are not available. It’s cheaper and easier for me to make up my own than spend a thousand dollars plus on ordering in one from the States.

I have already made a steel tubular frame that would be the perfect jig but I am unsure about how the cross bows are formed ? Are they cut to radius or bent under pressure with steam ? 05705886-9528-49DD-B913-9A4BB45B34B4.jpeg

2. chev34ute

chev34ute

This is what I want to reproduce in timber. So any help is appreciated.

A46EFD68-4B68-49E1-8864-733A5784EEA2.jpeg

48fordnut likes this.
  3. I restored a 1927 Chrysler for my dad and no kits were available so I had to make my own. I'm no cabinet maker/wood worker so bending the cross bows were above my ability but the crown is so slight that I just cut the curve in it and it's lasted well. I would imagine that a model A would be similar. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

chev34ute and bill gruendeman like this.

4. What would be the reason not to use what you have made from metal? HRP

5. chev34ute

chev34ute

Thanks for all the feedback. At this stage I could use either, but if I kept the steel one as a jig, I could use it to shape up future ones. I have a 29 Cabriolet body that I am thinking of making a lift off hard top for and the jig would be ideal as a contour guage.

I also have a five window coupe body that needs a roof and the steel frame has similar dimensions so I am thinking that it would be a handy jig for both.

Also there are advantages to using timber such as the fact that it’s easier to fasten all the bits together and the headlining can easily be tacked onto it.

tb33anda3rd and nunattax like this.
  6. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

You need to find a carpenter or cabinet maker that has a bandsaw,they could cut that in 5 minutes.It is a simple job on a bandsaw,see if there are any wood workers in your area. Harvey

Just Gary and fiftyv8 like this.
  7. chev34ute

chev34ute

A bandsaw is something I want to get for my self.

8. If I does it, I gets a whoopin' but I done it anyway.......

9. trollst

trollst

I do my stuff outta tubing, I cut, bend and fit by eye, bend it, clamp it, step back, look from different angles, then make the next one the same way. Then I weld a steel top on to the framework.

10. We used metal in Richards 34 Chevy. HRP

[​IMG]

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

a quality jig saw would cut it with a new blade init.im a woodworker,but a bandsaw would be better.something id like to do.cant beat ash or oak for the beautiful grain and the smell.good luckwith it but a job for experienced hands.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

sold a new '30 roof wood set last winter, wish I had access for measurements...
    henry used mountain ash, steamed and bowed, he was no where near as fussy about wood scrap as he was about steel scraps...
    King's Ford charcoal… later became our backyard briquets...