Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods not much time left

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Aug 22, 2020.

1. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

It does not matter how much education you have or experience that you have gained throughout the years, or even the job you might have in the big city earning the big bucks, your dad or Pop will always be your expert, so drill him everyday.

Nicholas Coe, Stogy, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  2. Lost my Pops 4 years ago today at 88. Wish he were still around, so I could hear his complaining about me spending too much on old cars. Cherish what you have while you have it.

3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahhhh, fathers and sons...one of the most powerful relationships through all of eternity.

I had a complicated relationship with my dad but I loved him fierce. After a number of years apart, the Lord saw fit that we should reconcile our relationship, and what a sweet time that was! Shortly after we reconciled he called to tell me that he had cancer. 13 months later he passed away on my birthday. That last year and a half we had together was a special time for us and I was truly blessed to have it.

Ron you are a lucky man to still have your dad, and I believe you know it. Savor every moment from here to the end! I will pray for both you and your dad, that your time together will be precious and that you will soak in, and fully enjoy, each other's company.

God bless you both.

Steve

firstinsteele, pitman, Smiffy and 6 others like this.
  4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

god bless your dad, enjoy every minute you can. i lost my father and the man i call dad, i still have mom but she lives 16 hours away.

5. This thread proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, that hambers know what is important. HRP

6. Amen Danny!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you guys are the best....glad Im here

Elcohaulic, Rickybop, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Couldn't agree more!!! I talk to my dad daily..

Thor1, Stogy and j-jock like this.
  9. belair

belair

You won't regret a single second you spend with him. I'm loosing my dad to dementia. Make all the memories (for both of you) you can. God bless.

10. I hate dementia, and am sorry to learn that your dad is suffering from this affliction. I can understand, because my FIL lived a long life, over 96 years, but the last 12 were robbed from him because of Alzheimer's.
    I am also aware of the commitment it takes on the part of the caretakers. We took care of my wife's mom for 8 years until she passed. She had brain cancer, and although it was not aggressive, it had the same effect as if it was Alzheimer's.
    I hope you are still able to converse with your dad, and share lots of memories.
    Bob

pitman, belair, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea....at coast for a few days and he called me this morning, which is odd because he almost never calls, and asked if I had my uncle Bruces phone number...had to tell him he passed away 2 years ago and he went with me to the funeral....he broke up then hung up....Man, tuff dealing with dementia for sure.

12. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Praying for comfort for your Pops. You are a good man. Enjoy him while you can, I lost my dad 8 years ago to complications of dementia. I miss him, and think of him all the time. One of our last times together he was watching me put an engine together, and asked me where I learned how to do that. I could not bear to tell him he had. I told him some old timer had shown me a long time ago... The only time I intentionally lied to him.

alanp561, Thor1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  13. Great on you and hope your dad doesn't suffer to much......my grandmother had it and died about 1974 - it was hard to see a beautiful lady going down that bone cancer road.....prayers for all.

Thor1 likes this.
  14. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

man....ive done that already.....

15. Crocodile

Crocodile

I know that a few others have touched on this already, but even though he is in a bad way with cancer, enjoy the fact that he can enjoy what you do together. My father has a strong case of alzheimer's going on, and he no longer enjoys much of anything. Take comfort in the fact that you are giving him (and yourself) the gift of precious memories with your actions.

16. Thanks everyone. I needed to read this thread tonight. Y'all are amazing. I've got a little more hope for humanity now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dsiddons, Thor1, pitman and 3 others like this.
  17. guy1unico

guy1unico

Good gosh that is toughness on both your parts. Stay with it no matter what because there will be no second chances.
    It is a great time to be together, good wishes to both you hot rodders!

Thor1 likes this.
  18. SmithTr

SmithTr

You know, this one of the greatest tips. I was so depressed when learning that my father is ill. I spent a lot of time with psychologists on 7cupsoftea and now I try to enjoy every moment with him.

19. Still have you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers, stay strong for the both of you. HRP

loudbang, The37Kid and Thor1 like this.
  20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The trouble with having a dad who was your hero, is it hurts when they are called to live with God.

Your dad lived a long life and experienced the things we read about in history books..

Man do I miss my dad, he was bigger than life just like most of the people from that generation..

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I miss a lot of things I used to do with my Dad, I miss the answers to the questions I never thought to ask him, just thought he would be around forever. Bob

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Ron, God bless you and your Dad.

23. trollst

trollst

All you guys enjoy your dad, at least he is here. I was 28, he was 53, I got called home from work at 11 o clock in the morning, had to wait for the coroner, and then had to help the coroners assistant load him up. He was my hero, it was a long time ago, I'm 65 now and it was like yesterday, I still miss him. Some people make an extraordinary mark on your life, he was mine.

24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Lost mine 2 1/2 years ago. Sounds like we all had some great dads! Now we have the memories....

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-10-29_6-8-0.png 1936 DODGE... first car during college years

Hello,

I wished that my dad had lived a while longer than 1984. He lived long enough to see his grandson grow up and be a happy little kid. He was one of those kinds of people that could make any little kid smile and laugh. But, he did miss out on one of his goals that he had set up while he was still working. Besides wanting his two sons to be outstanding citizens in our crazy society, he was proud of our hot rod years and our original build of the 1940 Willys Coupe.

He liked all sports, but baseball was his favorite. He took us to see the LA Rams and college football in the Coliseum. Then it was the original Dodgers in the same odd ball field down on the Coliseum floor. But, one thing he wanted to do was to go to the Olympics, when the L.A. Olympics were announced. My dad was all for going to see the event in L.A. for the second time. In 1932, he went to original L.A. Olympic Games.

We all thought it was a great idea. The only problem was that after the announcing of the event, he got sick and started to go downhill. So, we visited him almost weekly and that helped my mom. He was still somewhat lucid and always wanted to go for a drive in his last Buick (9 total from 1941). My brother and I had grown up in one of his Buick road trips and driving them around.

So, on our weekly visits, I always took him for a drive until he started to take a nap as we drove. No music, a little talking about the old days and lots of original places where he took us as little kids. He always wanted to go get an ice cream cone at this little store in Long Beach. So, even if we drove to Terminal Island/San Pedro, we went back over the bridges and to the ice cream store. It was a happy moment for him.

Of all places, he wanted to go to his favorite department store in downtown Long Beach and then he wanted to walk around in the Lakewood outdoor Shopping Mall. There, he got so tired that I had to prop him up on a parking sign and go get the car. He did not have enough energy to walk back to the car. So, we could see the downhill progression.

I even drove him to the L.A. Coliseum to see it one last time. He grew up in Terminal Island/San Pedro area and went to college in Los Angeles. The Coliseum was a place where he remembered going to the Olympics in 1932. But, it also reminded him of Phillipe’s famous roast beef sandwiches just a short drive away from the Coliseum/Exposition Park area.

We had spent many hours at lunches inside that sawdust strewn restaurant when we were growing up. It made me feel good to see a smile on his face as the aroma of the French dipped roast beef sandwich was in front of him. He had enough energy to eat a quarter of the sandwich.

Jnaki

So, in 1984, the Olympics were almost ready in various places in So Cal. But, my dad was now too weak to even go out of the house. My mom was his caretaker and then in April, he was gone. The Olympics started in the summer. Growing up in Long Beach would not have been possible unless our dad had decided to live modestly in a small house in the middle of all of his friends.

He grew up with them from Terminal Island and San Pedro to the trailer park and then the Westside. The exodus from then to the Westside of Long Beach was the key for him. And…for two brothers who had a terrific time growing up in one city until we all moved away after college. Thanks, Dad…and Mom, too.

26. Hay Ron B, I just saw this thread for the first time. I don't get on here as much as I'd like too. So I hope your dad is doing okay. My dad just turned 89. He's still in great health for 89 too. He was never into Hot Rods. But always liked buying brand new cars. The only old car he will ride in is my Nomad. I go see him about every day. He loves playing with the grandkids! Like you, and everyone has said. Spend every second you can with them. We're not promised tomorrow. You have some COOL Hot Rods by the way.:) So you two keep on cruisen! Ron F........ 20160812_175313.jpg

27. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great to hear from you Ron....thanks, we put him in hospice yesterday.....seeing him as much as possible, tough

28. So sorry to hear Ron.:(
    Your in my prayers.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Keep your chin up. You will always have the memories of him.

30. Ron, can't say anything that has not been said.
    Keep your chin up and remember the good times.

Ben

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.