Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poly begets a Hemi begets a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wstory, May 21, 2020.

1. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Well boys and girls,...seems like it's taking forever to make progress that I can share. I did have a week's distraction that I'll share at the end of this post.
    One thing I hate is billet parts. So I've congered up a way to take the edge offa parts, in this case the SBC water pump adapters, and then beat'em a bit with a pneumatic "scaler",....a Harbor Freight special. Matches up with the cast aluminum water pump pretty good IMO.
    IMG_2437.JPG IMG_2438.JPG IMG_2441.JPG
    Also scored a SBM serpentine crank pulley at the local wrecking yard to establish the plain of the serpentine system to drive the blower.
    Everything is now painted and purdy. Couldn't resist putting stuff together for a pic or two. IMG_2482.JPG IMG_2484.JPG
    And for the distraction,....I scored this A Tudor over the weekend. This was the answer to "whadda ya gonna put the Hemi in?" It came to me much earlier than expected, or needed, but all the stars aligned and it is now in my garage. The trick is, staying focused on the engine build and not fussing with the new toy. ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

3. patsurf

patsurf

loudbang likes this.
  4. ski

ski
    from San Diego

Nice touch on the adapters Bill......and I love that Tudor. They'll make a great pair.
    ski

loudbang likes this.
  5. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Tomorrow doing the wrecking yard to try to score a smooth steel offset pulley that will allow alignment of the serpentine belt from the SBM crank pulley.
    IMG_2494.JPG

Dog_Patch, GordonC, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Good luck and happy hunting !

loudbang likes this.
  7. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

So I'm sittin here in the garage pattin myself on the back, regaling at my cleverness for scoring all this good shit from the wrecking yard. Chevy smooth (reverse rotating) water pump pulley lines up great 'tho I'll need to patch for a new pilot hole and bolt holes.
    IMG_2507.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG IMG_2510.JPG
    And then I see,...the tensioner pulley is a different rib count then the Mopar crank pulley and and I'm already looking at the blower pulley being another diff. rib count. No surprise I guess when you mix Mopar and GM and Ford stuff,... right? That's Hot Roddin right?

8. patsurf

patsurf

just keep a spare under the seat,and run either belt--sure they'll wear quicker,but how much??

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Seriously? That is a recipe for disaster!

SS327, j hansen and loudbang like this.
  10. Man, that sucks! It's like all the different wheel bolt patterns, why?!? This may be a stupid idea but could you machine the ribs off one of the pulleys?

loudbang likes this.
  11. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Probably,....thought about that but there are so many options out there that I'll explore those first. The knowledge will likely apply to the other pulley requirements for the blower, alternator and tensioner/idler pulleys.

loudbang likes this.
  12. guitarguy

guitarguy

Mopar usually runs 7 rib belts, GM runs 6 rib belts. If everything else is 6 rib, just run the crank pulley one rib short. It's really no big deal. Personally I'd run as much 6 rib GM stuff as possible as it is way more common.

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  13. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Thank you Chad for your observations. I'm learnin that! :rolleyes:
    Spent the day resurfacing and making the smooth reverse rotation pulley mate to the SBC water pump and an adapter to space the fan blades to clear the belt,.....and a question....
    why's the smooth reverse rotation water pump pulley so heavy????? The material thickness for the part is approx. .180". Anyone have an opinion on the intelligence of shaving that .180" down to .120" on the OD.
    IMG_2518.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2522.JPG

Tim, GordonC, Desoto291Hemi and 3 others like this.
  14. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Ohhh yeahhh,.....more presents. IMG_2526.JPG IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2531.JPG
    Rocker assemblies are like jewelry. The cool part is that these are customized by QEC with adjusters fitted to the stock non adjusting rockers. Supersedes adjustable push rods that are a real PITA!
    And, I have finally got the GM smooth pulley and fan spacer assembly done. Now just need HEADS :mad: so's I can get alternator, idlers, intake and blower components mocked up.
    IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2544.JPG

15. Is the pitch on the fan for reverse rotation. I just pulled that brain dead move a couple weeks ago.

16. guitarguy

guitarguy

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, looks like a standard rotation fan...good catch.

loudbang and milwscruffy like this.
  17. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Good eyes mates! Man,...I can't get away with anything. You blokes are way too sharp :rolleyes:
    Yes, that is a standard rotation fan. I used it to determine the clearance of the blades to the serpentine belt, while waiting for the correct fan to arrive from Summit,....figuring the depth of the blades would be the same.

Tim, Atwater Mike, GordonC and 3 others like this.
  18. Just checked mine and yup, it's a standard rotation fan. I got a nice 6 blade 18" steel fan rated at 3500CFM from Derale. I just had to laugh at myself when I fired up my engine went to the front of the car and the air was blowing on me, first two words that came to my mind were dumb ass

19. Our D7 has the fan blowing through the radiator, it helps keep the dust and ash out of the radiator fins and away from the driver when pushing up the burning stump piles while clearing land.

loudbang and milwscruffy like this.
  20. George

George

Well, it was going through the radiator......:)

21. Common practice in the hot weather on a Cat. Cold weather reverse it so it will blow the hot air back onto you. Now with AC and heated cabs not so much of a necessity but back in the day, it sure was.

22. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

A 6PK belt won't know or care if it's running on a 7/8/10PK pulley. The water pump pulley is heavy as belt tension on a serpentine belt is much greater than a V belt.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

Cool project!

loudbang likes this.
  24. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Damn!,....I wish I had those cylinder heads! They are in the critical path of resolving the drive system for the water pump, alternator and blower.
    So attempting to make some kinda progress, I pulled out the water crossover who's removal from the stock 100 lb water pump and manifold assembly was started some time ago.
    IMG_4269.JPG IMG_4274.JPG Img_4279.jpg
    I have "faced off" the gasket surfaces, cleaned up the rough cuts and done the scaler trick to maintain the "cast character" of of the reworked surfaces. In the process it comes to light that, unlike the tall deck Hemi, there are no bosses to mount accessories. I was planning on using those to mount the alternator and idlers. Soooo,....today's design project is to imagineer a way to provide mounting points for those accessories.
    IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2559.JPG IMG_2567.JPG
    also plugged the gaping hole in the bottom of the crossover with a 3/16" thick plug and JB Weld

25. By blending those lines they now mimic factory mold casting lines. I sure hope those heads get there fast so you can move on and keep us all enthralled with your craftsmanship.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  26. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Just couldn't wait any longer for the heads. Stressing over the component/pulley locations was keeping me awake at night. So, using a junk head, I started mocking things up.
    IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2586.JPG
    I've guessed at the location of the blower pulley. Today that will get attention. Looking at this preliminary, I need to try for more wrap on the water pump and alternator pulleys. The obvious solution is to lower the alternator but that is a very tight fit between the back of the alternator and head right where the electrical connections are :mad: I'm hoping the whole package will become more compact.

27. Your "imagineer'n" is sound and solid.Really like this thread !

rbrewer likes this.
  28. 73RR

73RR

I'll suggest that you have adequate wrap on the wp and alt.

brEad, low down A and Dedsoto like this.
  29. TCTND

TCTND

If the alternator will fit in front of the head (rotated 140 degrees?) that would improve the wrap on three pulleys.

30. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

[QUOTE
    I've guessed at the location of the blower pulley. Today that will get attention. Looking at this preliminary, I need to try for more wrap on the water pump and alternator pulleys. The obvious solution is to lower the alternator but that is a very tight fit between the back of the alternator and head right where the electrical connections are :mad: I'm hoping the whole package will become more compact.[/QUOTE]

loudbang likes this.