Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 Olds rear brake shoes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Belair235, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Belair235

Belair235

I need to pick some brains out there... I’ve got a 50 Olds series 76 with a right rear brake seizing up. The wheel cylinder is leaking and the lining has been wet and true to form it is locking up and eventually seizing up tight. With that being said... I have been looking for rear brake shoes and can only find fronts, my buddy has a 50 Ford and his are the same size front to rear, does anyone know if this is the same for Oldsmobile in 1950. Also the washers between the drum and axle flange on both sides, I found to be a bit odd.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Wild guess on the washers - couldn't find 76 drums, so why not use an 88 - 98 drum & shim away from backing plates ?
    So, a quick look in a 1956 MoToR flat rate book shows the drum is '49 - '50 6 cyl Olds only, and doesn't interchange with anything. GM part # is 412556 on the drum, shoes w/ lining 417984 if that helps any ...
    Shoes should be easy, just measure dia. & width, Bendix shoes fit dozens of other cars.
    What does drum hit when you leave the washers out ?

3. Belair235

Belair235

From the looks of it the brake shoe was rubbing on the side of the drum. The shoes are 2” wide, I would think they would be more narrow.

4. Belair235

Belair235

Oh and thanks!

5. 11" x 2" shoes FMSI #228
    I think you have a brake drum problem.

6. BJR

BJR

See it the brake drum on the left rear has the washers. If no washers compare it to the right one and see what the difference is. The washers were obviously to space a drum meant for a different application so it would not rub on the backing plate or edges of the shoes. Another thought, maybe the drum is correct and the shoes are too wide, and meant for a V8 car.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Belair235

Belair235

That is a very distinct possibility, both sides are shimmed with washers.

8. Belair235

Belair235

Because it is shimmed on both sides I’m leaning toward the shoes being too wide.

9. Well, then it looks like it would need to be a 11 x 1 3/4" shoes. If that's the problem, which you are guessing at.
    The old Chevy Pick-ups had 11 x 1 3/4" shoes. FMSI part # 55.
    That might work, but I still suspect drums. Good Luck I hope you find the problem.

10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

11. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

12. Back when I was working at a Chevy dealer i found that 78 Chev. Impala rear drum brake shoes and wheel cylinders were a direct fit on my 49 Olds. rear .

13. Belair235

Belair235

I’ll definitely look into that, thank you for your help.

14. Belair235

Belair235

15. Yes, but I only mentioned narrower shoe because your thinking shoes could be to wide.
    I don't think the shoes are the issue, JMHO, I say wrong drums.