Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods MANY OF US ARE BRAND LOYAL GUYS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 21, 2020.

1. I guess I am a brand "era" kind of guy. I like certain brands from certain era's
    Like:
    Early 20's to early 30's Fords
    Late 40s to late 50s Chevys
    Mid 60s to early 70s Mopars and GMs
    Late 70's GM G-bodies
    I currently have a driveway full of Chevys and a workshop full of Fords.
    Grandad was kind of a Chevy guy, dad was a more of a Ford guy. But both owned many different makes over the years.
    I am kind of the same, I have owned many different makes over the years and I have had some newer "foreign jobs" that really impressed me with either performance or longevity.
    If i was forced to pick just one brand it would probably be chevy... just seems more appealing to my eye most times and I prefer the interior layout... also have a collection of good memories in or around the GM vehicles I have owned...
    Chappy

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Always been partial to 55-57 Chevys, but always liked 57 Ford Custom 2dr.
    A friend I worked with in 1971 had one with 427 and 4spd. .............. that Car was Wicked, Evil, and Nasty. Loved it!!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Regarless of brand:

If it's a messy gobble-dee-gook adorned with buffoonery, I don't like it.
    If it's done right, looks cool, or is fast, I like it.

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One man's garbage is another mans treasure.

5. I don't know when it happened...But, one day, I realized that my collection crossed over to the ford side. Model A's, F100, & late model F150. What makes it strange, is, i work at National Chevy. Used to be a g.m. guy, pontiacs, chevs, etc.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've owned Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, Ford, GM's of all brands and Mopars. If I had to say what I am now, I'm a GM and Mopar guy. The only Fords I've ever had was my wife's 68 Mustang and a rusty old Maverick fishing car I bought in college. If I ever own a Ford, it will likely be pre-war or 57. That's about it for me and Ford. Oh yeah, it likely would not have a Ford drivetrain in it.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were looking to build our first hot rod, it was Ford all the way, with a Model A coupe front and center. Then as the time passed and configurations coming into play, Fords took a back seat to Chevrolet, with a Ford as a secondary form of transportation. Finally, it was back to Chevy during our 20 something years. We even considered a V8 Chevy van for the ultimate camper and surf chaser. So, loyal Chevy cars were the mainstays.

Then the whole USA went bananas with the awful designs and smog developments, so we turned to small, fast, European sporty cars and have stuck to those ever since. Throw in a small fast station wagon and that makes up the carry all part of our family.

Is that a sign of the times? Well, there just hasn’t been any new developments that we like coming out of Detroit. Even if they tempt us with 700h.p. We like our reliable European sporty cars and wagons until they go bananas. Which is unlikely, as they have a reputation to uphold. As far as a person that has a good eye for old hot rods and customs, my wife started to like some SUV models, but the designs are all looking like the invasion of Storm Troopers and such. Not our style or type.

Jnaki

So, for our daily drives, it is the reliable start up with every turn or push of a button. But, if we return to hot rodding in our final quarter, it will be a 1940 Ford Sedan, two doors or even 4 doors with a v8 and A/C. It would be a fine addition to our garage. But, one of the fast European sporty cars would have to go…no cars would be sitting outside in the weather. Bad for the neighborhood. So, a Ford driver in 1960 plus 60 years later might end up with another Ford product. Not a 32, but the smooth flowing design of a 1940 Ford 2 door Sedan.

Now, our granddaughter can sit in the back and enjoy a nice greenhouse (pun intended) to look out of, during our So Cal road trips. Or, by then, she might be the primary driver of this cool, powerful, 1940 Ford two door sedan with a nice SBC motor and A/C.

upload_2020-10-13_4-42-37.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...edans-done-right.797738/page-19#post-13681971

The most interesting thing is that my wife says our next project is either a full re-do of our 14 year old modern kitchen or a new sporty station wagon with 435 hp. (0-60=4.3 sec… she likes going shopping in record time) Duh… But, since we don’t drive as much anymore during this pandemic, a re-do of the kitchen is inching ahead in the close race. But, all projects are on hold until the pandemic is over. No invaders in our house until then.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Had 1940 Fords For 55 Years But These Have Also Provided Transportation Over The Years... 93363_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.