Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I Thin a Large Flat Washer?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HuskerNation, Aug 7, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You did an excellent job showing everyone what you did, but the best thing is that I think you learned a lot along the way and showed others.

cfmvw, 48fordnut and HuskerNation like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s funny that the thrust wash is not full circle and put in prior to the cam. Anyway the GMC uses a bronze thrust behind the cam with .003-.008” gap and 4 small pockets for oil to gather. Glad you got it fixed.

VANDENPLAS and tomkelly88 like this.
  3. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Jimmy Six, the replacement is actually a full circle cam thrust washer but I didn’t want to remove the cam & all right now. Saving that for a dead of winter project so that I can also have the cam custom performance ground as well. Which will likely lead to pulling the engine to deck it, bore it, etc, etc, etc. all of which I should have done from the start! I have learned so much about this engine & doing so much mechanical. It’s been more than frustrating & thankfully I have a stubborn streak to keep me fighting it forward! Thanks guys!

Here’s the OEM phenolic cam washer: View attachment 4798976

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  4. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Here we go, a picture to actually see, hopefully.
    [​IMG]

Also I finish getting the engine together & here it’s running even quieter.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  5. HuskerNation, have you considered a valve spring shim stack? Hard to tell but is the shim behind the cam front and would the valve spring shim stack on front of the cam work? Obviously you would definitely need to stack them.

6. A Boner

A Boner

Sorry too late...but stainless fender washers are pretty thin!

7. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Warhorse, I assume your talking about the shim washers used as a cam thrust washer? I don’t know. I was trying to get as close to the original size but make life easier on me by not removing the cam.
    I went back & listened to the whirling engine running video again this evening & man that sounded bad! I’m so happy with how it’s running, keeps getting quieter with more use.... all smiles!

8. No Sir I am referring to actual valve spring shims. Thay are routinely used to correct overhead valve spring height. I am not at all familiar with your engine and am confused with what you are shimming. Would the spacer placed between the cam and timing gear not correct the problem by moving the cam timing gear away from the bolt head? If it seems that you lost me,:confused: well you did.:oops:

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool fix and if you need one in the future find a machinist with a surface grinder. He can surface grind it down to what ever size you need...

HuskerNation likes this.