Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A spring issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sparky232, Aug 23, 2020.

1. sparky232

sparky232

Before I say anything, ill apologize if this topic has been beat to hell. But I just need to clarify if I screwed up or not.
    So this is the first A i've messed with and want to get a lower stance on it. Bought the speedway reversed eye rear spring thinking, "oh hell that doesnt seem bad" because you know, covid budget.
    Right. So anyway, am I correct to assume theres no way this things gonna fit? My perches are 49.25 inches apart, main leaf of spring is 38.5 inches uncompressed. I'm guessing I'm going to have the drop the coin on posies or move the shackles. Pics show the one that came off compared to new, then the new main leaf on axle. I purchased the medium arch reverse eye deal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Is the main leaf sitting on top of the rearend in the second photo the mainleaf from the spring in front of the other in the first photo? What's the higher spring in the back, the "high" arch spring from Speedway, and the one in front the "medium" arch? To me the rear spring in the photo resembles a T rear spring but it looks a lot more narrow eye-to-eye than what I'd think a T spring would be compared to a stock T unit. Maybe I just need to go take another look at the stock T spring I have to make sure my recollection isn't all messed up.

Lynn

flatford39 likes this.
  3. sparky232

sparky232

Ah yeah I should have specified, I bought the medium arch with reversed eyes. The one pic is comparing new with the one that came off it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international likes this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have to agree, it doesnt look like it would go. so, i measured a stock A rear here, 49ish, and a stock unloaded spring at 41 ish, so it seems short. to install on a open frame like that, use only the main leaf, place a chunk of 2x4 under the spring eyes, hook up one side shackle, then have some one sit or stand on the spring to flaten it out enough to get in the other shackle. then, build the stack of springs on top of the main leaf. you also need to use the very top leaf as it has beveled edges that fit into the cross member radius.

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Run up one of these,just make a clip for the reverse eye.

6. lake_harley

lake_harley

OK. Yes, to use that medium arch spring you'll have to put on some different perches. Honestly though, but not knowing what body is going to be on the frame, it might look a bit odd with the perches in from the backing plates so far if you use the narrow spring. Just a guess, but I'd think the spring perch eyes would have to be ~ 43" to 44" apart for the 38.5" spring, allowing for some "pre-spreading" and a pair of 1.5" schackles.

Lynn

sparky232 likes this.
  7. sparky232

sparky232

Crusty fenderless Fordor. Planning for wheels to be fairly tight to body, maybe won’t look too bad. Yeah from what I gather, I should be at 44”

8. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't done it, but it seems all the A guys use a stock T spring for a couple inch drop in their Model A's. They are cheap and there were millions made. It's a little thinner than the A spring, so you will need a couple spacers on either side of the leaf at the shackle. It should fit right into the crossmember with the stock clamps. But, you might need to add a bit of steel to the bottom tie bar of the clamp to thicken it up if it won't reach all the way up into the crossmember to touch the spring.

Tman, sparky232 and lake_harley like this.
  9. If you want something new.
    Old Yankee Speed makes a Model T spec based Model A spring. Matt calls it the AV8 hot rod spring.

Tman, barrnone50, sparky232 and 2 others like this.
  10. I took the easy way out, just bought a reversed eye main leaf and adjusted ride height, not using all the leaves.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  11. sparky232

sparky232

Where did you get your main leaf?

12. sparky232

sparky232

13. sparky232

sparky232

14. sparky232

sparky232

Posies reply-

"Our reverse eye Model A main leaf will not fit a the stock spring pack. Not
    only does our main leaf have the reverse eyes, it also has less arch and
    will not conform to the stock pack arch. When you try to fit a reverse eye
    main to a stock eye spring the existing #2 leaf will be too long and have
    clearance issues to the rolled eye. If you are trying to get the rear of the
    vehicle down lower, a main leaf will not get you what you are looking for.
    Ultimately you would need to get a complete spring to do this task."

I feel this person lacks imagination

15. I used a stock Model T rear spring on my '29. I removed the top (shortest) leaf and replaced it with the A top leaf, this will keep the spring centered in the crossmember. As alchemy say's, you'll need a spacer for the T spring at the shackles. I used a flat washers for mine.
    With stock A spring... 90.JPG

With stock T spring... 116.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Get a stock T spring IMG_9079D.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

sparky232 likes this.
  17. sparky232

sparky232

Boom! That's the route I'm taking then.
    Was really not looking forward to relocating the perches,
    I'll put this other spring on a shelf until I find a use for it.

18. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  19. Well then don't use #2 leaf..... or cut a little off each end. I don't know which leaves I used or did not use, but what ever I did it got the car down as low as it can go without Z-ing the frame. But they should know if the profile of the spring they sell will work with the stock spring, as far as I remember the one I bought fit right.
    Sounds like you have a plan anyway and that is all that counts.

20. sparky232

sparky232

I just got a weird vibe from the guy that replied from Posie's also. Maybe liability issues for them to suggest doing anything other than the way it's intended.
    Im going to find a T spring or buy the new T spring from Millworks, 150 beans is doable

21. you are right, a lot of that going on now days.^^^^

sparky232 likes this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

I bought the last two separate main leafs available from Pete & Jakes that were made by Posies. They were nice low arch reversed eye main leafs for a stock width front axle. But the P&J vendor said Posies won't sell them separate anymore. They only sell complete springs now.

sparky232 likes this.
  23. sparky232

sparky232

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  24. You might want to double check clearance using that one, my Tudor Sedan sat pretty low with the stock T spring.

sparky232 likes this.
  25. Let us know how it work's out.

sparky232 likes this.
  26. sparky232

sparky232

What I’m thinking is this main with a couple secondary leaves from A spring

27. That is the exact spring spring I put in my A coup. It's coming out this winter. I had to fab perches. It works ok but not enough clearance over the 9" pumpkin. Going to reverse arc it and how to get 2" more clearance. 20150113_114111.jpg

Lil'Alb likes this.
  28. sparky232

sparky232

The speedway one or millworks one?