Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Angle Grinder Use & Safety

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X-cpe, Aug 22, 2020.

1. X-cpe

X-cpe

A nice counter to the build a car in a week shows.

EDIT:
    The scene in the link is from the beginning, "How many safety violations can you spot?"
    The last two minutes will turn your stomach.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. Just clicked- Didn't watch the video=1 min in this thread.......=no safety glasses............ I can picture the carnage...... I'll watch later.

wandi harry and dana barlow like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One handed... no guard... work piece isn't secure...
    I don't wanna watch either.

j hansen, wandi harry and dana barlow like this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

watch it , its good info (didnt watch to the end) very good for those starting out. We had a guy with a 9" loose control and it went through the tendons etc in his lower arm. He was just starting out but the injury was tipped to end his career right there.

5. Yep- Those who know better though........ Or should I say. "should know better"........

6. spanners

spanners

Not to mention showering the oxy-acetylene set behind him with sparks.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

8. spanners

spanners

Actually, he explains the right way to do it. The start is just click-bait.

Hnstray and dana barlow like this.
  9. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I always prefer a face shield over safety glasses when it comes to grinders, etc. I knew a guy who had a wheel explode and do a number on his face! I always use the guard on mine and keep whatever I'm cutting, etc clamped or secured.

Mr48chev likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm always appalled that those TV dudes don't wear face shields when they are cutting or grinding and most wear bare minimum walk though and industrial plant safety glasses.

I picked up a Sellstrom DP4 face shield a few years ago that I really like and wear more than any other face shield I have ever used. It's just flat more comfortable than any other one I have had.
    I'm not sure I'd buy it with the green uv shield on it again though.
    That bugger needs a new clear lens it is getting a bit scratched up.

I figured out a few years ago when I was doing the maintenance purchasing in food processing plant where our guys did a lot of metal fab work that rough handling probably as as much to do with cut disks exploding as anything. I quit buying the thin ones as they would break if they even began to bind up and I'd think that a lot of guys cutting though two panels of sheet metal to get a tight fit are probably experiencing more disk failure than the rest of us.
    IMG_9543 (2).JPG

11. RmK57

RmK57

I broke the number 1 rule with flammables. I caught my solvent tank on fire and cost me a $200 car cover to extinguish it. That'll never happen again.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Skip to the last two minutes to see the results of bad safety habits, but not if you have a queasy stomach.:eek:

alanp561 and Rickybop like this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

There is a lot of those injury examples right here on the Hamb. I don't even need a grinder to hurt myself.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. adam401

adam401

I used to always cut and grind without glasses. Ive had more metal dug out of my eye than I care to remember. I have a hard spot on my left eye now from having metal dremmeled out of it. It gets irritated and is prone to having particles stuck in it. It sucks. Too late but I never ever ever skip safety glasses now. Fucking stupid seriously.

15. Yeah, I've got four or five spots on my hands that don't tan from grinder incidents... and a whole bunch of others from welders, handling sharp metals, electrical burns, etc...

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Guy's fixing to set that lovely beard on fire! And there are a LOT of other "safety violations". BUT, who here has't been guilty of cutting corners? Not everyone, can do everything, the right way, all the time. Helped to keep me employed in healthcare for 32 years. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Crazy Steve likes this.
  17. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I didn't need to watch the last couple of minutes (but I did see about 15 seconds worth) to know about bad grinder habits. But I will admit to working most of the time without safety glasses on (yes I know what a bad idea it is but..); I am not what you would call a skinny guy, okay I'm pleasantly plump and I sweat when I work- a lot. Safety glasses are fogged up within 30 seconds on a warm day and I've tried the anti-fog wipes and sprays with little or no success. A face shield is about the only thing that works for me, when I remember to put it on. I usually remember it about halfway through the project.

18. mickeyc

mickeyc

Another safety concern many may have not noticed
    is a trigger lock. The way that gentleman is holding
    that grinder suggests to me that the trigger may well
    be locked in the on position. Whether a trigger
    lock is a safety hazard or not is debatable. However
    many commercial contractors or their clients don't
    allow them job sites. Many years ago I was using
    an 8inch grinder with a heavy wire wheel at home.
    I did have the trigger locked. Standing on a flimsy
    wooden ladder while brushing rust from the top
    of an upright freezer I leaned to far to the side and the ladder collapsed! In an attempt to escape the locked and running grinder I flung it away from my
    body as I landed on my ass in the yard! The grinder
    being locked as it was, took off across the yard like
    a shot. Of course I had tied a nifty knot to secure
    the grinder cord to the power cord. (also a safety infraction). With a neatly coiled cord to pay out slack
    the grinder unimpeded screeched the 10 feet to and
    up and over my neighbors fence! I could hear it merrily threshing her flowers to chaff! I snatched the
    plug out on my end finally ending the carnage! Then
    I had to go and grovel to her to retrieve my wayward
    tool. She was pissed! Luckily her husband was a cool
    guy and thought it was hilarious. Now I never use
    trigger locks on power tools.

19. 1952henry

1952henry

It is a hefty MSHA fine to have trigger locks in mines. We have to have grinders with paddle switches as well.

20. mickeyc

mickeyc

Non lockable switches are mandatory in the nuclear
    and chemical industries as well. I have a Milwaukee
    end grinder with a toggle switch of all things. It is
    an evil device and I wont allow anyone else to use it.
    I do use it for some jobs. I had a burring bit in the
    tool and let it hang up in a small hole I was trying to
    enlarge slightly. The bit hung up and snatched the grinder out of my hand. with the switch on it thrashed
    around and turned a 1/2 inch hole into a 3inch gash
    in an instant. Now I only use it with a small wire end
    brush.

21. If it wasn't so unpredictable and dangerous, grinder races would be entertaining.... :eek:

VANDENPLAS and X-cpe like this.
  22. I learned the hard way about safety over the years and when I was much younger and a little less smart...had eye injury’s, inhaled paint fumes, nice cuts on my hands..usually because I was to lazy to go grab what I needed or was in a rush...

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have seen videos of power tool racing
    involving grinders, wild!

25. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

after 27 yrs on the clock and 53 years on this earth i still have all my fingers (i know i just screwed myself) i hate gloves they are for welding , and hot stuff, i have seen guys destroy themselves because a glove got caught , put em away ,grow some callus' on your hands and quit being a girly man ,, kills me seeing sombody using a powered rotating death tool wearing gloves , drills,drill presses,grinders ,sanders ,saws etc way safer without gloves ,,,,
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

26. phat rat

phat rat

John does your doctor ask you about different cuts, scars or blood blisters? Seems as though I hear those questions every time I see a new Doc. I just tell them "hey I work with my hands" I spent 43 yrs in a shop and still have all fingers.

27. chopped

chopped

I have a scar on my leg I got in 1968 , been careful ever since.

fabricator john likes this.
  28. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

im not gonna lie im pretty much scar tissue from the sholder pins down , however if ya average out the thousands of hours over the years ive done well with no major accidents other than wear and tear, ulnar nuropathy (like carpul tunnel) arthritic hands ,one hips gettin a lil funny but hell all them years on the concrete ,, its the young guys and the beginning hobbyists that really need to be carefull , if i loan a MAN TOOL to a coworker it comes with instructions like TWO HANDS and wear a frriggin face sheild and im gentle about it if i see em using somthing as not instructed ill ask em to see my tool and put it back in my box and walk away and just leave em there with a dumb look on their face ,, love doin that!!!
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

b-body-bob, X-cpe, Sandgroper and 3 others like this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wear those gloves boys, don't be a dummy.

A CL buyer showed up while the blood was still dripping. Remember Mad Magazine's 'Smart Answers to Stupid Questions'?

"What happened, cut yourself?"

"No, ...."

Cheer me up..

20200920_102429_resized.jpg

30. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

At least he's squinting........ That ought to be good enough.

Fitty Toomuch likes this.