Register now to get rid of these ads!

cragar ss, cool or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Aug 2, 2007.

1. They look good on just about anything !!!

Had ‘em on a o/t vw big and on my zapper

not a fan of unilugs

Gasser 57 and seb fontana like this.
  2. To add to what jnaki said, at that point in time just about everybody was lusting for a set of polished American Racing 5 spoke magnesium wheels. The problem was that only the gold chainers could afford them. So along comes Cragar with a chrome plated pseudo imitation that practically everyone could afford and the rest is history.
    I never cared for them then and still don't.

jnaki and Deuces like this.
  3. olds vroom

olds vroom

Not cool I hate these wheels so ugly

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  4. egads

egads

New paint after a tornado, but the Cragar's still look good. 150.jpg

5. They looked pretty good on my old Falcon, this was taken when we loaded it up for the trip to it's new home. HRP

1901243_925280247502162_3038598321973497121_n.jpg

6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I really can't think of any other wheel that would look this good on this car. 20171017_141320.jpg 20171023_110749.jpg

mgtstumpy, earlymopar, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  7. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

My favorite back when I raced my 57' Chevy !! EPSON007.JPG

Gasser 57, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  8. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Cragars are always cool...no matter what. The coolest where the gold ones.

Cragars, Slots, and Turbines.....the holy trinity.

9. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I always liked the looks, but hated the construction and so thus hated the wheel.
    Growing up in the Midwest rust belt I began driving in the early-80's, a young kid couldn't find a used set that wasn't rusted or peeling....but aluminum slots, torque thrusts, and S200 "daisy mags" could be easily refinished with some elbow grease....so I came to love aluminum wheels and hated any chrome plated wheel.
    Had Cragar offered it with the exact same shape in polished aluminum it would have been a big hit for me. The aluminum version they introduced about 10 years back called 610C, they changed the shape of the spokes and it just isn't the same vibe, so no go.
    For me, Ansen slots were the coolest and most sought after, and I still love slots to this day. Every garage sale and yard sale I go to my eye is always peeled for any vintage aluminum wheel.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I couldn't take it any longer, I changed the spelling in the title to CRAGAR

Gasser 57, Outback, Stogy and 16 others like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They did make a polished aluminum center version, when they first came out: 7F2B0A1F-E16B-45C8-8B5D-FEE6666CF350.jpeg

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

My view is they only look good with black-wall out, shaving the sidewall lettering would make them even better looking. Max diameter is 15"..

I prefer to get the old ones and have them sandblasted and painted GM Argent Silver.

13. j3harleys

j3harleys

20200601_064344.jpg My wife's Fairlane. If you were around in 60's and 70's you couldn't get much cooler than this.:cool: I know there are white letters on the front, She wore out the back tires and the fronts weren't wore yet.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Gasser 57, Stogy, chevy57dude and 6 others like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-25_4-37-59.png
    Hello,

Cragar S/S wheels were substitutes from the time they hit the scene. But, being cool? To many, it was a great look. To others, the chrome spokes were a little over the top compared to the cool magnesium 5 spoke look of the American Racing Equipment mags. But, they have lasted the test of time and are found on plenty of cars, today, with minimum cause for upkeep. It is one of those early 1964 products that just got better with age.
    upload_2020-8-25_4-38-35.png 1964
    This 56 Chevy, ice cream truck looks cool with those shiny Cragar S/S rims. (Disregard the white lettering) the colorful flames are what makes this pearl white Chevy, truck stand out. The only way it looks good is with shiny Cragar S/S wheels. American 5 spoke looks racy, but a racy ice cream truck? It just needed something to be shiny, 5 spokes makes an action rolling down the street and it complements the overall look of a custom car/truck in this case.
    upload_2020-8-25_4-39-19.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-7-17-20.1199879/#post-13668869

Jnaki

For those that want a cool looking truck and a side business going along for the ride, the last time I looked, the Chevy truck was for sale. Plus, your name on the side of the truck, or at least a catchy slogan.
    upload_2020-8-25_4-39-57.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ild-custom-paint.257556/page-70#post-11986432

Stogy likes this.
  15. birdman1

birdman1

Look good with Monza whitewalls

16. Oilguy

Oilguy

My favorite wheels. Also have them on one OT car (by one year).

Attached Files:

Gasser 57, Stogy, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  17. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Always liked them, had a set on my 65 chevy II Deuce1.jpg

Gasser 57, Stogy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  18. George

George

Cragars or Keystone

19. Butch M

Butch M

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-12_4-26-34.png

Hello,

Much has been said of the popular S/S chrome spoked wheels on any hot rod, race car or truck. They were the less expensive alternative to the newish American Racing Equipment 5 spoke wheels. Those were priced out of most hot rod guys/girls pocket books and so the alternatives were considered. The idea of chrome wheels has been around since the beginning of hot rod parts and customizing.

The S/S wheels were accepted and used on a lot of cars. Chrome and 5 spokes had the two things from hot rod modification all rolled into one nice looking wheel. For our group and most during the time American Racing Equipment 5 spokes came out, that was our goal. Our pocket books said otherwise. Even with afterschool jobs, the chrome S/S wheels did not make it onto our hot rods and sedans.

We had a different outlook on what was it for our cars. Later on, as we left the cruising /drag racing scene, the S/S wheels began to take on more popularity and began to show up on a lot of different car builds.

Jnaki

Recently, we were lucky to spot this set of chrome S/S Wheels on a cool 1965 Comet, exemplifying the look of the mid to late 60s hot rods and sedans. From A/FX down to B/FX, to street driven hot cars, they fit the mold nicely.

Gasser 57, AHotRod and Just Gary like this.
  21. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

22. Silly question, silly thread title.
    Of course, they're cool!

allow.gif

Just Gary likes this.
  23. even on a bird

Attached Files:

AHotRod and chevy57dude like this.
  24. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have said it before, i say it again! I like them, and i broke the rule. Wide whites and all. BE1EC175-DFA9-4DF4-9D79-7625A5F2887B.jpeg

25. ''Wore out the back tires'' - sounds like a hot rod lady there!

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

cragars are cool on 60s rides or when done as a 60s/70s early lowrider/street custom on thin thin whitewalls (never larger whitewalls). they look good on earlier rides when on a rake. there are always a few exceptions. Laid55 posted a pic of the 55 nomad on page 1 is a good example of a YES

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I graduated high school 50 years ago, they were all over the place then. I never bought a set as I saw so many that rusted here, lover the look when they were non rusted, hated it when rusted. I personally think they look good on anything with 5 lugs if they have no rust.

AHotRod likes this.
  28. Rand Man

Rand Man

I probably posted this before. Are all the new Cragar SS 15” wheels available for sale right now the newer flat spoke style, or can you get the original rounded spokes? Their marketing photos are conflicting.