Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dana 44 Rear Yoke Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Aug 24, 2020.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm getting ready to have the drive shaft made for the 302/AOD I'm installing in my '54 Ranch Wagon. For the time being I'm planning on using the existing Dana 44 until a Ranger 8.8 comes my way with 56 1/2" WMS to WMS. The rear yoke on the Dana 44 takes a strange U Joint, IMO. Photo of the existing yoke and the corresponding U Joint attached. My question is can I swap out the existing rear yoke with one that takes a 1310 U Joint like the one pictured? Thanks. rear ujoint.jpg images.jpg M144068076.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

I bet you'll find it's a coarse spline yoke, if you take that nut off....

51504bat likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was afraid of that. Thanks. After I get the rear end degreased I'll explore further.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@51504bat .......perhaps research the dimensions of the various “conversion” u-joinrs and see if there is a combo joint of 1310 one side and “Mechanics” that your current rear end uses.

If there is such an animal, you could possibly build your drive shaft for 1310 and be ready for the Ranger rear axle upgrade. However, in any case at least one other thing needs to be taken into consideration. The distance from the axle centerline to the u-joint centerline will need to be very close, if not the same, whether you change this yoke or not.

The Ranger 7.5 and 8.8 rear ends I have use a flange on the pinion (same dimensions for both) and are drilled and tapped for the companion driveshaft flange/yoke coupling on the driveshaft itself. They (Rangers) use the next size up u-joint (13??), but I wanted a 1310 joint and found the Mustang 8.8 driveshaft flange/yoke was 1310 and fit the pinion flange as is as they are dual pattern. That still leaves the question of centerline distance I mentioned above, but I can provide that dimension to you if it would be helpful. Just PM me.

Ray

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the info. Never knew that "mechanics style" U Joints existed. From what I can find so far is that Ft. Wayne clutch may carry a combo U Joint from mechanics to 1310. Just need to determine what size mechanics I have. I'll take some measurements tomorrow and give Ft. Wayne a call. @Hnstray I'll PM you about the Ranger rear end when I'm ready to cross that bridge. Thanks for the offer to explain the issues to me. This is new to me but I'm sure I can get it all sorted with all the knowledge here and with some local sources as well.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Google helped me out and it looks like I need a mechanics 2c to 1310 combo U Joint, Spicer number 5-291x. I'll check with my local parts store tomorrow but if they can't get it Amazon has it with Prime so easy returns in case my measurements are wrong.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shop that built my 8.8 installed a “normal” yoke that looks like a 9”. I don’t know where he gets them but they are available.

9. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

Squirrel is correct, your early 44 will take a course [hobbed] spline while
    anything made in the last few decades will use a fine [rolled] spline as in
    the pic above. The B-W Mechanics style joint was known by the old timers
    around here as Mechanics style because they were so often replacing them. Any heavy use caused them to split at the base of the bat wings beside the attaching bolts [see the Amazon pic]
    Precision used to sell a H-D Mechanics u-joint with that area massively
    beefed up. I don't know whether it's available as a conversion to Spicer style though.