Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got a free car! So why not?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Javier Garcia, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

I got a phone call a few days ago from a family member asking if I wanted this "old junk car" from their driveway. I said absolutely, so I went the next day. Parked outside in the elements for about 3-4 years, and not running for about 5 was a 1949 Dodge Sedan. I know its not the nicest car in the classic car world. How can I say no to any classic car?

So I figured I would take it home, and would tinker with it to get it running. I'm currently working on a Kustom '51 Chevrolet Sedan delivery that is currently at the body shop. So why not work on this while I wait? Thinking about just lowering it a bit, metal flake roof, and some pintriping. Just cruise it (after brake refresh and new tires). Just a little beater.

So car has some body rust, but floors, and frame are super clean. Previous owner did a 12V conversion, and AC!

Any thoughts on easy way to lower the front, I know the rear would be blocks.

After 10 min of some cleaning and a new battery, car started right up and idled perfectly with no issues or smoke.

Here are some photos of the car.

(When i first saw it)
    IMG_20200820_131825.jpg

Once it was at my place, and gave it a little wash.
    IMG_20200820_164840.jpg IMG_20200820_164851.jpg IMG_20200820_164857.jpg IMG_20200820_164903.jpg IMG_20200824_163424.jpg IMG_20200824_163430.jpg IMG_20200824_163515.jpg

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

cut the roof and slide the rear forward. Make it a coupe. What other custom work are you planning?

3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

You have got to be kidding me. That's awesome. Not a car I'd search for, but it's a beautiful classic ride. I'd drive that sucker daily!

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

That's awesome. Helluva deal!

5. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Same thing I thought!

Baumi, Hnstray, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Just like you said, go through the brakes and new tires - Drive it for a few months, the Dodge will tell you what needs to be done next.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Javier, you posted it under traditional customs so you must be planning on customizing it, right?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Don't want to make it a full blown custom. Just something to cruise. Drop it, change the tires, and some paint work. I'm already dealing with a project.

9. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Dude, that is nice!

loudbang and Javier Garcia like this.
  10. Way too nice to do anything but make fun cruiser out of it. I'm nit familiar with the Mopar front ends, but I suspect some coil cutting will get it down a few inches, to match the blocks in the rear. I assume it has the flat 6? If so that engine is a decent driver, just go with it. Car is really nice condition for free!

11. P15-d24.com will have info as to lowering. That's one hellofa nice free car!

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That was FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?! o_O

13. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Yes, flat 6 with a 3 spd. And motor is running very smooth.

6inarow, VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. Lucky Duck! That’s a great looking old Dodge! I’d cruise the heck out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I need better relatives..

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

wow! i have many free cars in my time, but never anything like that. i would drive it, or sell it to finance somthing you would rather have.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang, Cosmo50 and 3 others like this.
  17. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

The goal is to cruise it for a bit, then flip it for something more my style once my other car is out of the bodyshop.

18. Holy shit! Me too!

I’d be happy to have that car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice car! Not real popular but priced right, be a fun cruiser for free.

20. chargin03

chargin03

Some guys have all the luck. Nice car!

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

After some quality road time, look for some videos on splitting the exhaust and running a dual exhaust. I think you will like the sound. I am fond of the 1950's sound, have a Smithy (Just one - it is a 4 cylinder) on my customized Volvo.

loudbang and Javier Garcia like this.
  22. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Thanks! I will absolutely look into it!

23. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Nice looking ride. You can lower the front a bit by moving the spring cups from the top to the bottom of the lower A-arms. They should just be riveted to the A-arm like most mopars of that vintage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Thanks! I will check that out!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally cool. Perfect car to just enjoy and experience. Don't have a massive collector pricetag hanging over your head the whole time you're on the road with it... just drive.

My thoughts... don't overthink it, don't overdo it... just keep it on the road and pass it along to an interested kid in your family some day when you're bored of it.

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

I never got anything for free that looked any where near that good! Most of the free vehicles I ever got were ready for the scrap yard. Gene

27. Damn! I was not expecting that. Reading through your post I never imagined it would look so nice. Congrats!
    Very clever, putting the pictures last.;)

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I certainly wasn't expecting to see something that looked that good when you said it was free! You had some good luck on this or your relatives like you a whole lot!