Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Two different sized pistons in a running Flathead. WTF??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austin kays, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I helped rebuild a buddy´s Pontiac 389, tearing it down I noticed three different kinds of pistons, while little pieces of compression rings and oil rings were laying in the pan and around the lifters... It also had three different bore sizes. Std. , 030 and 040 and all of them were so worn that the pistons were slapping around in their bores like they were in the wrong engine.... We finally sleeved it back to std size, because we couldn´t find a better block.
    Edit: The engine actually ran smooth and he had driven it for years, he never change oild because it burnt so much , he just kept refilling... We tore it down because he had oil running out the tailpipes after his last roadtrip...

Austin kays and R A Wrench like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

The first time my 1946 Harley was rebuilt, the front was .010 and .040 on the rear. I ran it many years

Austin kays likes this.
  3. Just use a shorter ruler to measure the 2 smaller bores. :p

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Had a 1950 HD panhead. Front cyl .030, rear .060. Ran great. Lippy

Austin kays likes this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Like it's gonna vibrate any more? LOL!

6. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

I worked at a chevy store, had a 454 truck with a rod knock and 1 bore scored. Regional service manager had a hard on about excesive warranty repair. He had us send it out and bored 1 cylinder. 040 and replace the crankshaft. To everyone's amazement it ran fine, no vibration and left to never return.

Austin kays likes this.
  7. oldsman41

oldsman41

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If the engine doesn’t care neither should you. Guys did whatever it took to keep them running back in the day

Austin kays likes this.
  8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Meaning no offense but that's called a "farm fix". We disassembled a running Model A engine a while back that had 3 different size pistons and one looked like it was from some kind of compressor or something. It didn't run any rougher than others. Love 'em old Fords.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Austin kays likes this.
  9. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not enough to notice as long as the pistons were same compression. I did really notice it on a 80" Shovelhead that had one low compression piston and one high-compression piston- that motor rattled and shook a lot more than normal, but they were both the same oversize.

Blues4U and Austin kays like this.
  10. speedshifter

speedshifter

I had the heads off about a 62 Pontiac v8 for a warranty top end repair. On one bank the pistons were dished, on the other bank they were flat. Shop foreman said just do the top end work & don't worry about it. It ran just fine. Hmm! Do you suppose it needed a half & half mixture of regular & ethyl gas??? Greg

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Jim, are you saying size doesn’t matter?lol

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

legend has it that allstate engines could have 8 different-sized pistons!

13. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember reading a car feature where some guy built an Oldsmobile V8 out of what he had laying around. He used two different heads on it (amongst other various mismatched parts) and put it in a ratty four door Nova. It ran surprisingly well; I think he was getting 11 second quarter mile times out of it if I remember right.

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. If the pistons are in balance, eg weigh the same it'll work OK