Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Skip Barrett Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Skip Barrett Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. alchemy

alchemy

3. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Another comment on surfboards and hot rods, at the Baltimore car show in 1968, I tried to use the line of being a surfer to try to make time with the go-go girls with the band. Results, a no go. fullsizeoutput_548.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4f8.jpeg

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And yes I know where the roadster is now......

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ryan,

You might want to check out all things Weber's Bread. They were one of the biggest bread companies in So Cal back in the 50s and 60s, along with Wonder Bread and Helm's. There was a huge Weber's baking warehouse in our Westside of Long Beach neighborhood. It was across the street from the Mickey Thompson Speed Shop on Santa Fe Ave.
    upload_2020-8-24_7-12-5.png
    In every newspaper my dad and I read, and every magazine we bought, there was always a Weber's Bread ad somewhere. It was a big name company. In elementary school, we got to go to the bread factory that was in that giant warehouse near our own home.

Jnaki
    The white bread was delicious and was a big seller at the bakery attached to the warehouse. We used to walk home with loaves of freshly baked Weber's bread. It had the thick white bread versus the "holey" Wonder Bread version.

It was great place to be. The Weber's Bread warehouse and factory, across the street was the Italian store with fabulous sandwiches and meats, then down the street was Mickey Thompson's storefront. If you went around the block, Joe Mailliard's Speed Engineering was located in the same neighborhood.

Good luck in your search. I can still remember that great smell of freshly baked bread coming from the back of the warehouse. yum...

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I like how he routed the headers into the the cowl and rocker panels.

Also, it that Barris's Surf Woody on the right of the lead picture?

It looks like it's up on stands or something.

Jungle Jalopy and loudbang like this.
  7. Cool car.:cool:

Interesting that the color pic shows dual quads
    & the b&w pics show three twos.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Looks like Skip worked for Roth also

CAB76122-51DD-4323-B3A0-3AE7789F434E.jpeg 3F8DDCCA-4A57-4B09-A6A6-402400EBB523.jpeg

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I dig the slicks and chrome slots look!

loudbang and Tman like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think it must be an earlier photo, the chromies and slicks, lighter paint, different intake and different tail lights.

I like it better than the darker version for sure.

ive seen the leading photo with the surfboard a million times and never noticed the cowling for the exhaust. Sounds like a radical idea but it all but disappears in use. I love it.

only thing that grabs me is how nose down the engine looks in the chassis. It’s not real noticeable in the tri carb set up but in the two 4 set up its super obvious.

I keep trying to reference to the valve covers or header flange to see if maybe the carbs are just tilted for the effect of keeping a wedge profile over all? Or maybe it’s a weird photo? Dunno.

love the additional photos either way. Makes me wish I was a roadster guy

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/jewels-from-the-archive-56-years-ago/
    upload_2020-8-24_9-49-58.png
    at a Rod and Custom Motorama with Bowers and Paris A/A Fiat in the background.

Hello,
    After reading this story, it has quite a history and has changed hands a lot. Skip Barrett, according to the article was the 3rd owner. Then it goes through plenty of others and creates a nice timeline.

Jnaki

from hot rod 2014

"Around 1958 David C. Martin bought a stock roadster from a farm where it was being used as a woodshed. He did some sketches of what he wanted to build and then started collecting parts, which included the "junkyard" Buick Nailhead mill. Larry Watson photos have surfaced showing Bill DeCarr working on the car. According to Martin the bodywork was handled by someone in Whittier with the possible name of Reiley (spelling unknown). Once the bodywork was complete he took it to Watson who matched the gold paint to a bottle of fingernail polish Martin provided.

By 1958 the beautiful roadster was on the road and Martin became the 16th member of the L.A. Roadsters. Shortly after this time it was sold to Nick Alexander (known today for his one-time mammoth woodie collection and Nick Alexander BMW dealership). Alexander has a picture of him drag racing it at Lions Drag Strip and claims to have a timing slip to prove it ran 103 mph. After owning it for less than a year, his dad, Ben (who played Joe Friday's sidekick on Dragnet), felt the hot rod was too dangerous and made him sell it around 1960. In exchange his dad offered him a new car (from his "Ben Alexander Ford").

Alexander sold the car to a guy in Pasadena, CA. Recently ownership was traced to South Pasadena high schooler Tony Harvison, who owned it around 1961.

In 1963 Barris and Roth employee Skip Barrett was the owner and updated it a bit with a dark aqua blue paintjob, taller shifter, different carburetion, taillights, and chromed Astro mags.

In 1970, on a trip to the L.A. Roadsters Show, Don Bunch bought the car in Long Beach and brought it home to Tennessee. He had James or Tom Long of Long's Rod Shop, in Morristown, TN, redo the car. The body and grille shell were left alone, but a new frame was built, full hood added, 302 Ford mill replaced the Nailhead, and it was squirted yellow. Bunch finished it in October 1975.

Dave Brittonook owned it from 1976 to 1980. He added green flames and still has the carb scoops from the Skip Barrett version.

Auto dealer Don L. Knight bought it sometime between 1980 and 1981, and owned it until 1983.

Steve Anderson owned it from 1983 to 1985, painted it red, dyed the brown leather silver, added a tilt steering column, and ended up selling it through Jim Ellis Auctions of Bristol, VA.

Greg Lewis from Elizabethton, TN, acquired the car in very poor condition in 1987 and repainted it red again and put in the current gray interior.

Bob Barmore bought it in 1998 from Greg Lewis of Tennessee and brought it back home to California. He changed out the chrome wheels for steel wheels and added new tires."

13. Chrome Slots FTW!

14. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yikes! I see an accident about to happen with that girl and the windshield.....any decade now.

Jungle Jalopy and loudbang like this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And removed a set of ugly Mustang (Edit Pontiac) taillights and replaced them with the proper Pontiac taillights, but was forced to open a door as the welded doors made it difficult to get in and out, we are not young anymore

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    63fdsnr, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

All this talk on specs and history (which I love, thank guys) lets see this sucker! :D

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

just click on the link in Jnaki's post then click see all photos. we don't really want pictures of a modern street rod here do we? I didn't think so

18. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Ahh, Thanks @Moriarity! I missed that.

I like the B&W shot of it in front of Singer. I loved those mall car shows. It broke up the boring trips to get new school clothes and shoes when I was young.

Jungle Jalopy, Moriarity and loudbang like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This would be a fun one to make whole again... I still wanna see those bread promotions though - I've looked and looked and can't find them.

20. Years ago on the Larry Watson thread there were a few photos of the car, Bill DeCarr did the bodywork then Larry Watson did the paint. Car is still around and is now painted red.

img424vi-vi.jpg

img427DavidCMartin-vi.jpg

A3256Buick6vi-vi.jpg

21. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's a shame that it's painted red.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm a glass is half full kind of guy... It's red and has funky taillights, etc.. but super rad that it still exists!

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

kinda hard to believe that with all the changes made, they saw fit to leave that shrouded area at the bottom of the cowl that the exhaust used to go into. It doesn't really serve any purpose now other than to identify the car, someone here should buy it and make it cool again.

24. That car is great in all it's iterations!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Aw rats! Surf Bums get big respect!

26. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Great back story on one of the most beloved bikini/surf/hot rod shots ever. Anybody know who shaped the surfboard? It’s a couple years out of date for ‘68 with the giant, checker board “D Fin” bit still really cool. Kind of on the short side for the era. Maybe it belonged to the young lady? Any body know her name?