Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No it's not !!!! Wrong ! Cmon ! A what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

With the Morris Minor I used to get a lot of "Is that still one of the two-stroke ones?" or "Is that still one of the air-cooled ones?" I think it's because they heard about the early Minor with the side-valve (flathead) four and, not really understanding what that is, reach for the nearest term familiar from DKWs or VWs. Some have the idea that Minors are front-wheel-drive, doubtless because of the association with the Mini.

One of the weirdest swaps I ever saw was a DKW two-stroke triple in a Morris Minor. It had its radiator where the battery usually lives on a Minor, over/behind the engine, and it used a rear-wheel-drive gearbox which may or may not have been a later rib-case Minor gearbox. A healthy Deek triple would shred a smooth-case 'box.

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

pulled into a gas station in my 47 Ford Tudor.
    The woman inside said _well that's not a Packard, what is it?
    Normally old ford is the go-to response, I have never heard someone start with Packard.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Walking into a Home Depot, a guy coming out looks at me, then my '55 Chevy pickup. He sez "Where's Lassie?"

Overheard at the Boca Raton Concours d’Elegance - Spectator "What is that?" Proud owner "A Cord 810" Spectator "Wow, I didn't know Honda made cars back then."

clem, ratrodrodder, 282doorUK and 6 others like this.
  4. 48stude

48stude

About 30 yrs ago I was asked if my Stude was a clown car from the circus , seriously. Hey, I know what your thinkin' ,but I only wear a 9 1/2 shoe. Bill
    stude.jpg

5. I was at a Friday night cruise and had the hood open on my car, 350 SBC showing. Some guy walks over and asks if it is a 502 crate... I told him you know your engines buddy...

6. BEST YET!

Ben

WC145, dan c, dirty old man and 5 others like this.
  7. papajohn

papajohn

More than one person told me " That looks just like the Munster car".

Attached Files:

8. I often get, "Reminds me of Bonnie &Clyde's car." I just smile... :)

Bonnie & Clyde car.jpg

Lone Star Mopar and F-ONE like this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sitting at a car show a decade ago, and had just finished building my old Austin gasser. Had lots of clueless people ask me if it was a Willys, Anglia, or any number of wrong guesses. But then one day this group of 4 guys not much older than me drops by and one guy asks if this "Anglia" ran at Woodburn Drag Strip back in the mid 60's?
    I told the gentleman it had not, as it was a stock Austin when I bought it a year ago. He looks at me like I'm nuts, and says he swears he saw this Anglia run back in the 60's! I again correct him, and tell him it's not an Anglia, and it didn't run in the 60's anywhere!
    He gets irritated, and says, "OK, maybe I'm not calling it correctly when I said "Anglia", as it appears it's a Prefect, not really an Anglia."
    To which I again tell him it's not an Anglia or a Prefect, it's a British Austin. Now one of his friends tells him, "The guy ought to know what his car is?" To which the first guy turns to him, and gets angrier, saying he surely doesn't know!
    So his group begins to walk away, embarrassed by their buddy, but he stays around to argue. I walk to the door, open it, and grab my registration to show him. He tells me he doesn't care what it says, he knows what it is whether records say Austin or not.
    I finally just went back to my chair and sat down, ignoring him until he walked away grumbling.

But I've overheard numerous guys telling their wives, girlfriends, kids, etc. what it is when they ask about what my Austin is, and then whoever he's telling sees the emblem on the grille, or tail panel stating it's an Austin A8, and asks why it says that if it's whatever he's telling them it is? Usually good for a chuckle when that happens.

10. People ask me what car is that ? I tell them well it's got a Ford body with a Packard grille and a Cadillac motor so I guess you call it a Forpackillac ! That make them shake their heads , never heard of that make . 066.JPG

11. Mike

Mike

I was at a cruise night in my flathead powered '48 Ford Fordor. A father and his young son were looking at the engine, the father turned to his son and said "Look, a Hemi".

I was stopped at a light in my Deuce Tudor. A goofy guy crossing the street in front of me in the crosswalk says "Thats like a PT Cruiser, right?". I say "No, it's a 1932 Ford". He says "But it's like a PT Cruiser, huh?". I say "No, its's nothing like a PT Cruiser, it's a 1932 Ford". He again says "But it's like a PT Cruiser". By this time, the light has changed and the guy is fixin' to get run over by traffic, so I say "Yeah, it's just like a PT Cruiser, now you better get across the road before you get hit by a car".

I was at a little get together in my '55 T-Bird pictured below. A couple of guys were looking at my car, I overheard one of them tell his buddy "You know, T-Birds with a stripe like that were prepared by Shelby".

WC145, fordflambe and LAROKE like this.
  12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

people who asked about my shoebox ford: "what year studebaker is that?" Scan0027.jpg

fordflambe and 210superair like this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

I have had my 50 Studebaker champion called a 49 Ford several times.
    Actually there is a connection between the 50 Studebaker and the 49 Ford.
    Ford solicited outside designer's along with there own inhouse design teams to come up with a new body design for the all new 49 Fords.
    One of the designers picked by George Walker just happened to be a former employee of Raymond Loewy , industrial designer that is responsible for many famous designs including work with Studebaker, this man was Richard Caleal he kind of took over designing of the project and his design was picked by the Ford executive's to become the "Shoe box" Ford.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I've got a yellow '47 Ford coupe and a black '40 convertible with a white top, both have spotlights. I have been asked more than once if the coupe was an old taxi and if the convertible was a cop car.

clem, dan c and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Andy

Andy

I have a 241 Red Ram in my roadster. No hood sides. I have had a bunch of folks loudly explaining how the engine is one of those R-dan flatheads. I sometimes explain if they are interested in the car. Not if they are just showing their knowledge to their girlfriend.
    A friend used to go the other way.
    He had a perfectly restored 32 Vicky V8.
    He would leave a hood side up and people would come by and comment on the original V8. He would inform them that it was 4cyl as you could only see 4 plugs. He would act unknowledgeable and a argument would start. He was very convincing and every one left laughing.

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Sedan HAMB.jpg
    About 30 years ago I built this sedan. It's made out of various year Model A parts, has a Buick V-6 and 18" Halibrand rear wheels. I took it to a car show (I don't do that any more) and entered it as a 1929 Mercury Torpedo Salon. (Well, it's kinda deluxe for a Ford what with a 6-cyl. engine, 18's, cowl vent, wood-grain revels, etc.). A real old guy (even older than I) asked, "1929 Mercury Torpedo Salon, huh?" Yep, I said. "Well, I had a 1929 Mercury Torpedo." Ya did – I bet it wasn't the Salon model. "Nope."

A couple of years later a guy shoots it for a Swedish car magazine. And a year or so later he sends me a copy of it on the cover – "1929 Mercury Torpedo Salon" – I guess he did his research.

WC145, charleyw, chiro and 3 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I stopped for gas in my roadster one night, the attendant looked at the engine and said, "you don't see many of those Offenhauser engines anymore". I replied " you sure don't". img20161106_16354394.jpg

18. dartracer

dartracer

image.jpeg At a small town show with my car, 354 hemi,no hood sides. Guy told me that I should have put a hemi in it,not a 327 Chevy. Said Chevy had the distributor in the back, hemi was in the front.

WC145 and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  19. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

here's one for ya. back in '76 i built a vw -t. in case you don't know what it is it's a '23 t with a vw power train in the pick up box. i was coming back from famosa drags one night and i pull into a gas station and procced to put the nozzle into the radiator cap as i had a hose going to the tank under the hood. i had a piece of aluminum sheet in the front of the radiator. in all fairness the guy comes out and he is young, 16 or 17. he starts rubbing the aluminum and ask how does air get in there. not even realizing i am putting gas in the radiator. just think, they breed too!!

WC145, ratrodrodder, Cosmo50 and 2 others like this.
  20. rudestude

rudestude

Sorry.....I was just following up on the previous post ...
    Providing a picture of the type of vehicle that was being told of...like he said , some my not be aware of the vehicle...I was just providing a Visual....
    Should of kept my finger to myself...
    And some say no picture...didnt happen.
    Well if your telling about something that is OT...its best to not to show a picture , then its ok.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. topher5150

topher5150

My wife had her family over for 4th of July one year and her cousin brought her boyfriend with. At this time the body for my 47 ford coupe is sitting on some blocks in the back yard. He starts talking to me asking about my mini Cooper that I was working on. I also get a lot of people asking about when I'm going to get my truck running... What path of this looks like a truck

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Back in the 80's, I was in a friends model A coupe. Had a chrome Jag IRS. Some guy is flashing lights and honking at us, so we pull over. This guy is insistent that something is loose and going to fall off the rear of the car. He worked on cars, so he knew something was wrong. No amount of explanation could convince him that is was suppose to be that way. We finally drove off, shaking our heads, with the guy waving his arms and shouting.

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-20_5-22-19.png

Hello,

Ever since I had the only 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in all of our cruising/high school area, it was looked upon by the kids as a cool hot rod. This was despite the fact that our high school track and field team could out run the sedan delivery any day. Ha!

I had known this girl for a couple of years and had been over to her house plenty of times in the 58 Impala. I even traded her older brother, a new set of 5 spoke American Racing Equipment mags for a 9’6” Dale Velzy Balsa Surfboard. The board did not ride well, but it was a classic that could not be bypassed. So, I bought and installed the 4 American Racing Wheels on the 63 Buick Riviera and that was the coolest cruiser anywhere. The 1963 Riviera’s had just come out and very few if any had custom touches done.
    upload_2020-8-20_4-15-22.png SIMILAR IN COLOR AND WHEELS
    But, it was the sight of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery parked in the driveway of her house for the first time we decided to go out for a snack at the local drive-in hang out. The title says it perfectly, the look on her dad’s face when my sedan delivery was in his driveway. He could not or did not want his daughter to go anywhere in THAT sedan delivery, despite all assurances of no funny business. It was the idea of a teenage girl inside of that solid wall, private, delivery truck and everything imaginable that would happen.
    upload_2020-8-20_4-17-4.png

Jnaki

I was introduced to her parents in the beginning. They even liked me and my history at the local high school. At the time, it sounded ridiculous and even assurances from her older brother to the parents, did not sway the old folks. So, from that point on, it was the nice shiny, 1958 Impala with all of the windows rolled down for any teenage cruising or dinner outings. Actually, that sedan delivery never made it back to her house again… (except for emergencies when a ride was needed to get home)
    upload_2020-8-20_4-19-48.png
    As a teenager, I thought it was a ridiculous notion from her parents 57 years ago. But, all of this time later, for our 15 year old granddaughter, as cool and responsible as she is, a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery rolling up in the driveway would cause her parents and us, much alarm!!!

(the pristine balsa wood board is with my brother's family somewhere.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    fordflambe, F-ONE, Bigmac48 and 2 others like this.
  24. chrisp

chrisp

I have a 36 chevy 2dr sedan that I'm restoring at work, a lot of older people come and ask me about the Citroën Traction probably because we're in France, but Citroën never built a traction 2dr sedan and the Citroën is a front-wheel drive unibody...

25. clem

clem

It’s been called a “cartoon car”, a “gangster car”, and given two thumbs down by a kid.
    Someone even asked me once if my job didn’t pay me enough to own a ‘modern’ car !

523D903A-01A5-45B4-B011-9217D74445C6.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  26. I don't have a pic but I had a '59 Volvo once that I drove around quite a bit. really a neat little car. I digress, sorry. I had a guy walk up in a gas station once and say, "That's a slick little '46 coupe." I smiled and he said, "I never seen one that small. I had a sedan once, I guess the coupe was smaller." I said, "Well this one's a falcon." He smiled and said, "Well that explains it." And walked off.

27. flat 39

flat 39

A guy was looking over my '39 ford coupe and asked what kind of car it was. I said '39 ford. he says " are you sure? It looks like a Dodge. My uncle had a Dodge and it look just like this one."

28. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Classic stories. Cringe worthy. Hard to imagine how clueless people are. My Little League coach drove a 32 Tudor with a SBC in it when I was a kid and at the age of 8 I knew what it was and was revved up when I got to ride in it. Fired up. I bought the 5 window in my avatar at age 16. I now have an OT car and people are clueless, guessing the wrong year, mispronouncing the model name (is that a match one? Yes. Yes it is...)

50Fraud likes this.
  29. Variations on that are pretty common...but why? Why do people feel the need to ask, then contradict or question the
    owner of the vehicle? Especially when they don't even own a similar car themselves. I just don't understand their brains.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Middle-aged woman, jeans and black leather jacket, gassing up her PT Cruiser as I'm gassing up my 47 Ford Business Coupe. She yells over... Hey, my car looks kind of like yours.
    I responded half-heartedly... Mmmhmm.
    She said, doesn't it?
    I said, oh... not really.
    She was pissed.
    I tried to explain... It's just that a lot of hot rodders kind of laugh about the PT Cruisers.
    Well... that didn't help at all. LOL

WC145 and Fitty Toomuch like this.