Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods not much time left

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took my 85 yo dad out for a spin this morning in the roadster....stage 3 bone cancer is slowly tearin' him down...if yours are still around, spend time with them as much as possible, so you have no regrets later....thanks for everything pop...its because of you that I do what I do. 295F1E2E-DD24-4684-A073-CD649B709499.jpeg

Baumi, AHotRod, dirt t and 123 others like this.
  2. Ron, As bad as it is you are bless to still have your dad with you, I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing him well and enjoy every minute you can with your dad, God bless you both. HRP

Alaska Jim, dirt t, 3340 and 31 others like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It''s wonderful that you love your dad even more than he loves you
    and that he loves you even more than you will ever know.

You are a good son.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ron, God Bless your Dad. Lost my Dad in 85 and Mom in 99. Your absolutely right spend all the time you can with them. Lippy

5. Deuces

Deuces

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ron Brown and Father Brown you are both in our thoughts...may you fellas have many more cruises together to enjoy the precious moments in our short time on this big blue ball...certainly an emotional and very personal time for you, your family and friends...

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ditto

8. My father and I were never close, but we finally got it together when I was 64. I lost him 12 years ago when I was 67. I miss him very much. Enjoy your time with your father, it is important to both of you.

9. J_J2

J_J2

Cheers to you and your Dad, and many more cruises in that roadster.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, williebill, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm finding it difficult to say something along the lines of...
    "That's great."
    Maybe something more like...
    I'm happy for you and your dad that you can have some time to do and say what needs to be done and said.
    And also, now and forever...
    All of God's blessings to you and your father and your family.

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Dad is 90 and has been locked up because of COVID so moved to a less restricted place. Went on a 6 hour road trip last week to his hometown, he loved it and road well. Now I have to find place or event to take him to in the 39. He has never road in it.

12. HotRod33

HotRod33

Don't let a day go by that you don't tell him you love him.... My dad's been gone going on 12 years and I still tell him that...

13. topher5150

topher5150

That's the one thing that I didn't get to do with my dad before we lost him one year ago. He only made it to 60

Okie Pete, williebill, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

My Dad has been gone since 1983, not a day goes by that I don't think about him. So many simple day to day questions I wish I'd asked him, everyone is a history book, with answers to a lot of questions. Bob

Okie Pete, williebill, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  15. Thanks for the great post. My Dad is 73 and for the last 25 years we have done everything together. Sturgis South Dakota 12 or 13 times, racing, tractor shows, working on everything together. I cherish every moment together. My Dad, Grandad, and Uncle Richard are the reason why I am the person I am today.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ron Brown, great pic of your Dad - * Maybe get T-Shirts printed up with that pic?! * - Life is be taken one day at a time - make the best that you can out of it - keeping in close touch with loved ones is very important - in these times may not be able to get together in person - today had a Family Birthday celebration with my wife's Aunt's , who turned 88, using online Zoom meeting app - had 10 together that live a long way from one another

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I hear ya. My father in law is battling cancer. It makes a guy step back and think about mortality.

18. dcs13

dcs13

Prayers brother. My wifes dad is visiting this weekend. My wife asked me to take some pics, she fears it will be their last visit as his health is declining rapidly. We did all we could to make his visit enjoyable.. Tomorrow is never guaranteed , enjoy the day

19. I envy some of you; I lost my dad to cancer in 1977. I was 15 and he was 46. We never got to spend the time together.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sorry to hear it. Glad you are making the most of your time together. My dad and I are close. We built up a 39 tranny today together. He will be 82 in December.

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

If my dad wasn't into hot rods I wouldn't be here.. grew up with him and my 36
    Lost him in 2002 and have a son who never met him.... Live each day fellas

Elcohaulic, Okie Pete, j-jock and 6 others like this.
  22. Ron, such a timely post for me. My Dad wasn't a car guy, but was always very proud of my accomplishments in career, but especially my hot rods. Wish I could still take him for a ride. He passed away 13 years ago, today.

Okie Pete, j-jock, williebill and 7 others like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Good on you. Even little trips to the local diner for a cup of coffee is advised it's not the trip it's the time spent with your pops.

TFoch, brady1929, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  24. Enjoy every moment. None us know. God Bless!

TFoch, williebill, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  25. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Best wishes for the time ahead with your dad. Enjoy all you can. My dad passed suddenly and unexpectedly when I was 34. Have many good memories but miss him all the time.

TFoch, j-jock, williebill and 4 others like this.
  26. mickeyc

mickeyc

85 wow, full head of hair, erect and proud stance
    about himself. Looks like a man that will give his ailment a heck of a fight! Wish him and your family well.

27. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow....thanks to all with the well wishes, I will show him this post when I go over to help him shower later this week.....I wasn't expecting this kind of response....thanks again all.

jnaki, Rickybop, TagMan and 9 others like this.
  28. pkhammer

pkhammer

As others have stated, enjoy every moment you can with your Dad. I lost mine 10 years ago and there are many times I wish I could spend another hour with him. I just got off the phone with my 86 year old Mom. She is in a retirement village that has been locked down since March due to COVID. I miss seeing her too.
    God bless you and your Dad. I hope that you both have lots of quality time left to spend together.

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My Dad turned 88 in July ,I will be 65 in Sept . We spent most of our life's butting heads because as my Mom says we are exactly alike "bull headed and quick tempered" . He was a hard ass kid from the streets of Milwaukee, Cabinet maker and carpenter who was self employed most of his life, because after 2 years of serving in Korea he was dammed if he was going to spend the rest of his life having somebody telling him what to do. When I was a kid he was this tower of a man with slick back hair a white T shirt with big muscular arms and a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in his sleave . He taught me to work with my hands, how to engineer things in my head and to learn as many trades as I could , because the more I knew the better the chance I had of always working. Which up on till the first of July when I took a voluntary lay off from my job as a finish carpenter, because of this virus crap I had never collected a unemployment check my entire life. The heart breaker is he is now this frail old man sitting in a chair and doesn't remember much of any of that. Some days even my name comes hard to him. I never disagree with him anymore, I just sit and listen and hope he remembers how much I love him and always have! Living along life sucks when you cannot remember it. My Grandmother had bone cancer , a terrible disease , I do not know what would be worse, forgetting your life or suffering through that . I am pretty sure most would choose a long an full life and dyeing in your sleep. Best wishes to your Father. Larry

30. I am 77, with bone marrow cancer and a couple of serious autoimmune disorders that have severely limited my mobility, found the posting by Ron quite touching.
    I just want to convey, that as a receiver of the care, help, and the regular visits from our kids, that it really feels good to know they care, and make every effort to stay informed on our state of health.
    Good on you, Ron.
    Bob

Roothawg, Smiffy, TagMan and 13 others like this.