Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric fuel pump safety switch controlled by tach signal-who’s done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ChebbieTrk, Jul 22, 2020.

1. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

Update: I have it wired in and plumbed. The pump primes for three seconds, just as it should, then I crank it and motor fires, but I am only getting 3-4 psi fuel pressure, no matter where I set the regulator.
    The motor won’t stay running unless I pump the throttle, and it acts as though it starving for fuel.
    I’m going to add a pressure guage right at the output of the pump, back at the tank to see where the pressure loss is occurring.
    This damn thing is driving me nuts. IMG_3108.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

What kind of pump is it?

3. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

Carter PN P4600HP Adjustments.JPG

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Diode between terminals ??

5. SCTA requires these, all new cars have them. You can find them as low as $10 https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...ource=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1108

6. 5brown1

5brown1

I installed it last week and love it. If I left the car sit for two weeks I would have to crank it over for a long time
    before it would start when using the pressure safety switch. I now turn the key on and get 3 seconds of prime, turn it off and on and get another 3 seconds and it starts right up. Much easier on the starter.

57ChebbieTrk likes this.
  7. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

As per instructions.. Not sure why, but the instructions say that the pump may toggle on and off without it.

8. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

This is what we use. Very easy. Very reliable. Set the switch point on the blue pot.
    71h8IRx8epL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Reason I asked is I looked at the online wiring instruction & saw no mention of it ..

10. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Electric motors, as well as anything else built of electromagnets (such as ignition coils) can put out a real mean electric pulse when the electricity running through it is switched off. On an ignition coil you can see it as a spark on the points, when the condenser is bad/not installed, we're talking many hundred volts in 12V systems.

That pulse is a problem, it can burn ignition points and other types of switches/relays eventually, and if it's electronically switched one single pulse can burn the electronics or disrupt the control system. A small, cheap diode installed in the correct place kills the pulse by letting it bleed off harmlessly, and everything survives much longer.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

G-son thank you , great understandable explanation , very much appreciated !

G-son likes this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I understand the premise of these switches, but IMHO it defeats one of the best features of having an electric pump, that being that you can bring full fuel pressure up with a filled carb to an engine that has sat, greatly easing cold starts. Sometimes you want the pump to run for whatever reason.

I just have a basic on/off toggle for my key-hot fuel pump installed in between my water temp and oil pressure gauge on my 3 gauge set. A basic $2 part from any hardware store. Works perfectly.

13. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

That Murphy speed switch I posted does the same thing as your toggle switch. It sits parallel to the oil pressure switch. It powers the fuel pump when you have oil pressure below the pressure switch activation. When you have enough RPMs the speed switch opens up. By then you have enough oil pressure and the pressure switch controls the fuel pump.

14. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

Update to the update: It is running! I believe since all the fuel lines got replaced, I had to get all the air out of the system, and get fuel flowing continuously to the carb.
    Set the fuel pressure to 5 lbs. The Edelbrock seems to like it.
    My only issue now is the pissed off old neighbor lady down the street. I just ripped past her house and she was not amused.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app