Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chinese Aluminum Radiator Rant..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Aug 23, 2020.

1. 8DB14B82-4ED2-4243-9831-5C8CB969C252.jpeg 1D196649-EEBD-4188-AC7A-F3F921D58FD3.jpeg C04ED104-DE58-40D7-B163-993C62551CE2.jpeg Well...when I hit the key to break in my motor I noticed a drip..yes the water pump needed to be tightened up a bit and I did..that leak stopped..but damn it...the Chinese “I love em..use em all the time” eBay Chinese radiator has a leak at the bottom, where the core and the tank meet...also almost looks like a crack on the bottom
    Outlet..

so my old stock radiator was junk...this things a $125.00 Lesson in don’t buy junk...anyone got a favorite radiator they use..I was looking for a little extra cooling with this 3 core..I don’t think a stock radiator will keep my new set up cool..

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hard to tell but bottom tank looks damaged...

3. Yeah, too many people are only looking for the best price, quality be damned. Got a guy in one of my clubs that loves 'em and if it goes bad 'just buy another' is his mantra.

The problem is the makers of quality radiators lose sales volume so have to raise prices or move their supply chain offshore to stay in business, and we end up paying the price anyway...

Ned Ludd, hotrodharry2, Baumi and 9 others like this.
  4. They don't come any better than good old American made copper/brass radiators, Walker is my go to radiator but there are aftermarket copper/brass radiators available for older cars that will fit in the confines of earlier cars.

The Walker radiator in my '32 Ford is now 33 years old, they are pricey but if you plan on hanging on to a car it pays for itself in the long run. HRP

5. Never again will I buy a cheap shit radiator. Had to go thru two in my daily Ranger to get one that holds coolant. I’m not sure where to find quality replacements for late model stuff that is dealer obsolete, but Walker would be my first choice on vintage. Plus, they are in Memphis, next to Sun Studios, and if I have to go down there I can get BBQ!
    I was trying to save a couple of Sheckles on the last Farmall and bought a Chineseum one from ePay. That piece of shit fit like socks on a rooster. There is a quality outfit in Ireland called Clancy Radiator, and it fit like a glove! Top notch quality and it was less than a C-note higher than Chineseum.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

You say that your purchase was "a lesson in don't buy_______ junk". You left out a word, "Chinese", junk.

hotrodharry2, 56don and dirty old man like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

I guess you found out how much quality is in a Chinese $125 radiator

hotrodharry2, 56don and dirty old man like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Clean that area with a small SS wire brush , denatured alcohol & do it again , twice , then hi-temp jb weld . mine leaked where the tubes enter the bulkheads in all 4 corners.... 15 years ago , hasn't leaked a drop since. I also added a bottle of bars leak when I put it back in the car , just a little insurance .
    Don't give up easy ..
    Manufacturers produce to a price point that is whatever the market will pay , no sense in blaming someone trying to make money ....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    scrap metal 48 and leon bee like this.
  9. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

The money you save will pay for your vaccine.

10. chargin03

chargin03

Fixed my aluminum radiator 12 years ago with epoxy still working.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Careful with the 'Chinese' knock, there is a strain of folks that will call you a 'racist', whether you street drag or not!

12. No such thing, a quality radiator for $125.00.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

You shouldn't have to fix Chineses Shit.The Walker radiator in my 46 Ford convertible was in there 20 years and still going strong when i sold the car.

hotrodharry2 and dirty old man like this.
  14. Find a good old radiator shop in town, take them your old radiator and have them re core it (different types of cores to choose from) or learn to unsolder and solder the core yourself. If your trying to put higher pressure in a 40s down radiator with large flat faces go with an aftermarket (non aluminum) with ribs in it to cut down on the flexing of the tanks.

my .02

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have had success with Griffin.

dirty old man and mgtstumpy like this.
  17. outagas1961

outagas1961

its a crap shoot with the china stuff. put one in a dodge van dd when i hit a deer and ground up the original with the fan. didnt want to put much in repairs on that old war horse but used a cheapo e bay aluminum replacement and drove it for several years with no prob. till i got something newer

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I put a US radiator desert cooler radiator in my 61 Impala over 30 years ago and have had no issues and the 348 runs on the thermostat (180) all day long in all conditions

19. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Aluminum champion radiators in 6 cars so far, no issues over thousands of miles. Supposedly made in California, I will keep buying them.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go along with the you get what you pay for. I've been watching a Brice Thomas radiator on Ebay to use with my flathead for a while now but I now have to figure what the flathead is going into and probably start over. Not cheap compared to the off shore ones but about half the cost of the Walkers, US made and made to order spec'd out the way you need them. https://cgj.com/

Link to their Ebay store. https://www.ebay.com/str/bricethomasradiator

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Have had good luck with Champion myself.

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One need only look at the massive number of recalls U.S. automakers tally up yearly to see what a bang up job they and their home grown work force have done on a consistent basis to realize your things are far from what they used to be . Aftermarket parts are no exception ..

verno30, Kato Kings and Algoma56 like this.
  23. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have Walkers in my hot rods and an aluminum Champion in my '79 PU. Both are good brands.

24. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

No such thing as a Quality Camshaft for $65.00 either. I knew better, but I bought it. UPS delivered in fancy box........opened it and “MADE IN CHINA “ Wrote on the end. Opened trash bin and deposited it where it belongs.

lothiandon1940 and dirt t like this.
  25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I've run three Champions, about $250 Never had an issue. Lippy

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

FWIW my radiator ,that I repaired with epoxy , was built by AFCO ,21 years ago in Indiana , I think that's a ways away from china IIRC..

verno30 likes this.
  27. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yes, you are correct , we did it to ourselves. No further comment as it would be POLITICAL, not allowed and as it should be.

28. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I had two Griffins in a row fail where the core was epoxied to the tank. Summit honored the warranty both times with money back the second failure. Kudos to Summit, but I won't try griffin again.

29. badshifter

badshifter

Champion Radiators are made in China.
    US Radiators are made in.......USA.

Moriarity and Gman0046 like this.
  30. Brassworks, 100% top quality.

Baumi likes this.