Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. All stock. C-1 's have extreme u-joint running angles which results in very little clearance between the bottom of the prop shaft and the rear edge of the square reinforcing plate in the middle of the frame "X"-member. The rear axle rebound straps limit rebound movement of the rear axle so the driveshaft won't hit that plate and be damaged. It might be a little more extreme now due to the new rear springs not having settled in yet. I still need to install the rebound straps and will find out then if there is a problem.

2. noboD

noboD

SHOULD be a 265.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

So thats what those straps are for...to save the u-joint! I never knew the real reason and just assumed they were there to keep the rear from dropping too low stopping the shackles from hitting the body if the car was jacked up by the frame or something like that.
    So why are there differnt lengths available from the repro parts suppliers based on the year? Id have thought they were all the same.

4. vetrod62

vetrod62

Yes, that is correct all stock. " C-1 's have extreme u-joint running angles which results in very little clearance between the bottom of the prop shaft and the rear edge of the square reinforcing plate in the middle of the frame "X"-member."
    But there ways to reduce that angle. If the car is going to be built as stock, then no mods are required. If it is to be built as a driver, simple mods to lower the transmission will do. If the car is built to be a performance car, there are mods to gain HP and stop drive train damage. The picture in this discussion has no body on it. The body will bring the frame down from the weight, thus, reducing the angles.

5. vetrod62

vetrod62

Why the rear axle straps?? I have not a clue. When we bought our vettes back in the 60s, the first thing we did was cut the stapes and removed the rear springs and had them re-arched, re-tempered and added 2 or 3 extra leaves. The only way to stop spring wind up. Traction Masters did not work, they only bound up the rear suspension. If you wanted to do forever burnouts, that was the way to go. If you wanted to be fast, that was not it.

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

vetrod62 , can you expand on further mods?

7. vetrod62

vetrod62

which mods are you referring to??

loudbang likes this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Is there further mods to be made other than lowering the transmission?

9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Referencing post 7294

10. What I wrote about the reasons for the straps came from Ex GM Engineer and C1 expert John Hinckley.

I may or may not replace them, depending what I find once body is back on and springs settle. While it is a numbers matching low mileage car that I have owned since 1972, the NCRS crowd will not like it when it is back on the road.

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"the NCRS crowd will not like it when it is back on the road."

Well... I guess you can't ask for anything more than THAT! ;)

12. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

That is just the way 53-62 Corvette driveshafts were. Probably not the best
    angle for sure, but with the body installed it is less severe.

13. Slick34

Slick34

Thanks for the info, and a little more educated now!

14. Slick34

Slick34

I also wondered what those axle straps were for. When I came home from Viet Nam in 1970 I bought a 61 Vette which didn't have those straps. I didn't even know at the time it was even supposed to have them! Never had an issue with U joints but went through quite a few broken axles and blown rear end gears! Wide tires and being 23 years old didn't help either on breaking parts. Sure wish I had kept that car!

15. loudbang

loudbang

16. vetrod62

vetrod62

Lowering the trans is mandatory. My black car is raised 4", so my angles are made worse. I lowered my trans by replacing the nuts and bolts with studs. Much easier to remove and install the trans mount. Go as low as you can without x-member interference.
    upload_2020-8-23_10-7-23.png
    The reverse arm may hit the x-frame. Knoch the frame for clearance.
    Other more involved ways are to cut the rear of the x-frame for extra drive shaft clearance, Change your rear housing saddles angles for better drive shaft angles, (be careful here or your DS might to throw itself out of the car.) Cheat on the angles (also be really careful). Jim

Bowtie Coupe, lumpy 63, enloe and 4 others like this.
  17. vetrod62

vetrod62

I thought by 1970 everyone knew that the chevy rear ends were too weak to drive hard. We all put '57 Olds (same width as the chevy housing.) or "57 Pontiac 9.3" gears (1" wider than the Olds) in our cars. Easy to find in junk yards back then.

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Vetrod I still use them today and have a stock pile of them. There is nothing better.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, enloe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Classic Showdown

sport classic duel and vette.jpg

kaspar, mkebaird, alfin32 and 8 others like this.
  20. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Video of pass i made at last race and i also run an olds/pont rear end, with backbrace on it, the corvette is quiet because it runs exhaust and mufflers to rear axle.
    jp

21. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim you never fail to amaze me how much knowledge you have.
    jp

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi Pat, Butch and also stock piled those rears. But when I finished the new build on the Black car, I started blowing the 9.3s. I gave up on the posi's and and went with a Strange 35 spline spool and axles. No rear end problems since then. Jim

23. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks JP. I have lots more little tricks that add up to a better more reliable run.
    Nice video

24. loudbang

loudbang

Man it was spinning the tires half way down the track. :eek:

chryslerfan55, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Anthony what is that? I know it's a Corvette but where.

Pat

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  26. Someone mentioned New Jersey.
    Looks like a stalled project that got pushed out of the shop. Let’s hope it was clean up day
    But that weathered cover says otherwise.

here is the response. Another guy mentioned the same town.
    A7DBB8F3-B9D5-4C56-8061-22CC5E770FD4.jpeg

chryslerfan55, scotty t and 1934coupe like this.
  27. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

kaspar, mkebaird, alfin32 and 5 others like this.