Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Just another idiot with tools....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmann, Feb 2, 2020.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Pressure is pressure (not divided by 4). I would start at the MC front port for my first reading than to front calipers, than the rear port and rears. Treat it as 2 separate MC's, one for the front, one for the back. If you have any proportioning valves, etc. you would want to check at that location's in & out pressure.

lilmann likes this.
  2. lilmann

lilmann

I did and will check again to make sure they’re contacting but not dragging

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Rear cyl bore is listed as 15/16" ( dual piston calipers) what's your pedal ratio?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  4. lilmann

lilmann

6:1 is listed on Wilwood but I had to lengthen the rod between the pedal and the MC...so it’s probably 6.5:1 now

5. lilmann

lilmann

So tonight I had a handheld vacuum pulling fluid at the rear calipers and my son pumping and holding and I’m getting bubbles!

I’m not holding my breath but I’ve got my fingers crossed that vacuum/pulling at the bleeder(s) and pushing fluid from the MC/pedal might work.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Vacuum bleeder usually has a few bubbles , the bleeder screw & the connection to it are never air tight , IME .
    I don't understand how lengthening the MC pushrod would change the pedal ratio ??

7. lilmann

lilmann

6:1 is listed with Wilwood....I had to lengthen the rod between the pedal and MC so I’m guessing 6.5:1 now

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This thread doesn't have enough pic's!
    Push rod length has nothing to do with ratio.
    brake ratio.gif

lilmann likes this.
  9. Hold on a minute, in my experience, “adjusting” rear calipers has nothing to do with moving the emergency brake arm. You have to rotate the caliper pistons outward to compensate for excessive clearance between the pad and rotor. The goal is to get the pads as close to the rotor as possible but not dragging.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and lilmann like this.
  10. lilmann

lilmann

Right...but I had to lengthen the push rod because my floor kicks up at a 45degree angle. That allowed me to fully push the MC piston in and it stopped before my pedal hit the floor.

11. lilmann

lilmann

On these calipers the arm that engages the “emergency brake” also if rotated enough times (just like you would do by setting the emergency brake) it pushed the piston out until it made contact with the rotor face.

12. lilmann

lilmann

I see what your saying! I was wrong, it doesn’t change the ratio

13. lilmann

lilmann

I’m practicing on the red truck! I’ve been collecting parts for the 5 window.......need a shop before I tear into that one!!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When my brother and I started our car projects, I was just a young kid that needed a ride to go to basketball/baseball practices, when my dad could not take me. So, I was indebted to my brother. (he also got the directive from my mom to take me to the practices or friends’ houses.) but, as the older brother and being a smart ass teenager, he milked that obligation to the extremes. Those extremes are which I am forever indebted to him.

He did not know it at the time, (he thought he was calling the shots… he was) but, I was actually learning to do the manual labor on his 51 Olds with actual tools. Once he taught me how to use the tools, the jack, the wrenches, it all came naturally, but his directions were always useful.

upload_2020-9-25_5-13-22.png
    I had to do maintenance, some minor repair/replace things, change filters, oil, check the tire pressure… all things that the neighborhood gas stations used to do every time we pulled in for gas. He knew that I would do those tasks when he told me, just so I could cruise over to my friend’s houses in the Olds sedan. So, from those minor tasks, teaching me how to use those different tools, I became an avid student and actually liked getting my hands dirty, as long as that goopy stuff got them clean. The lava soap was very rough on my gentle skin.

Jnaki

So, yes at the beginning, I was not quite an idiot with tools, but a neophyte with no automobile experience other than plastic models and reading everything I could get my hands on during this time period. Mechanical stuff was actually fun to take apart and make changes. The more I did, the better I got and the cars actually ran better... imagine that!
    upload_2020-9-25_5-17-41.png
    In those early days led to being experienced enough to take on bigger projects. The biggest started in 1959 and ended in August 1960.
    upload_2020-9-25_5-18-41.png
    LIONS 1960

Learning and having the qualifications plus confidence to do repairs when I could on our family hot rods and normal cars, to this day was fun… The only times, other than looking at computer driven motors and complete modern, electrical automobile systems, made it worthwhile.